How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
So I took Izzy to the vet for her rabies shot and asked about her pocket tail, after reading inumerous posts and articles I had a feeling Izzy also had a deep pocket tale but I was still unsure (didn't want just to stick my finger and hurt her!). The vet showed me how to clean the area and I also watched the video here on the topic but my question is how often do I need to clean it? The vet said once a week, the forum says everyday... I just don't want rub it too much to the point that might cause her a rash in that area.... also does it hurt when we clean it? Izzy's tail is so thight that it takes me a few seconds to locate it and be able to stick the baby wipes underneath the tail.

Bulldogs come with so many surprises :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would check it every few days or so until you know how clean it is. Cutty has a deep one that has NEVER been dirty. The vet was suprised too when he asked if I clean it and I said not really cuz he never needs it cleaned. (I thought great, this will be the time I am wrong) Sure enough spic and span. He said it was a deep one too so he was shocked. I still do it every once in a blue moon to make sure and he likes it so why not.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
My vet recommends cleaning every day (or at least every other day), and to NOT use baby wipes! Baby wipes leave a danger of trapping moisture into the area (and that spot is VERY hard to dry!). You should use an antiseptic, such as witch hazel. I use a concoction that my vet makes. I keep a little sandwich Tupperware of the liquid, and leave a stack of gauzy pads soaking in it. That way cleaning is very easy - just grab a pad, wipe, and you're done! You don't need to worry about drying the area or anything with the antiseptic - which keeps it from getting infected.

Matilda has a very tight tail, too - it doesn't hurt them to reach in and really clean it. The only way it hurts them is if it is infected. She doesn't even notice most of the time when I do it. If the tail is tight, that just means you need to REALLY get into it and make sure you feel the entire base of the tail (you don't want to leave anything behind!).

It is part of our nightly routine. I clean Til's wrinkles (I wipe her face with a baby wipe and put vaseline on wrinkles/nose), and wipe off her feet (also with baby wipes, no dirty bullies allowed in my bed haha), wipe her lady parts (which we do several times a day since Til had a bladder infection before, and again, with baby wipes), and lastly, use my soaked gauzy pads (which again, use an antiseptic like witch hazel!) to wipe down her belly (she tends to break out there) and clean her tail pocket.

It takes only a few minutes and is a small price to pay for a happy bully.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I clean my two at least once a day, I don't wipe them every time they poop, but I look and if they need it, I wipe them with a babywipe. If their stools are firm, which they are now since I switched their food, then once a day is usually ok, but when they had loose stools from the wrong food, I wiped them after. I also bathe my two every Sunday, so they are cleaned on a regular basis. I also use baby wipes on their faces, twice a week, I do their folds, their ears, their eyes, and tails with the baby wipes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
During allergy season I do daily (1 or 2 times).... off allergy season maybe every other day

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
My vet recommends cleaning every day (or at least every other day), and to NOT use baby wipes! Baby wipes leave a danger of trapping moisture into the area (and that spot is VERY hard to dry!). You should use an antiseptic, such as witch hazel. I use a concoction that my vet makes. I keep a little sandwich Tupperware of the liquid, and leave a stack of gauzy pads soaking in it. That way cleaning is very easy - just grab a pad, wipe, and you're done! You don't need to worry about drying the area or anything with the antiseptic - which keeps it from getting infected.

Matilda has a very tight tail, too - it doesn't hurt them to reach in and really clean it. The only way it hurts them is if it is infected. She doesn't even notice most of the time when I do it. If the tail is tight, that just means you need to REALLY get into it and make sure you feel the entire base of the tail (you don't want to leave anything behind!).

It is part of our nightly routine. I clean Til's wrinkles (I wipe her face with a baby wipe and put vaseline on wrinkles/nose), and wipe off her feet (also with baby wipes, no dirty bullies allowed in my bed haha), wipe her lady parts (which we do several times a day since Til had a bladder infection before, and again, with baby wipes), and lastly, use my soaked gauzy pads (which again, use an antiseptic like witch hazel!) to wipe down her belly (she tends to break out there) and clean her tail pocket.

It takes only a few minutes and is a small price to pay for a happy bully.

I was cleaning with baby wipes but I will switch to gauzy pads and use only the solution that the vet gave us. Hers is really tight and I can't really "see" if it's dirty, only when I try to reach to clean that I noticed that is dirty and also has some lose hair. I think I will setup a schedule for us... it sounds that Matilda has a great routine. Izzy doesn't have deep face wrinkles so I dont worry much about them but I will establish a weekly schedule for her to include the pocket tail, ears, nose vaseline and paws.

I will start with 2x week and take it from there.....

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I've been using baby wipes - and I clean it after every poop (its not deep, it just gets cleaned when i clean the poop chute). But i was worried about the baby wipes. I always dry it with a towel and it becomes a whole long drawn out thing.

I can use witch hazel definitely.... what concoctions does the vet have?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I've been using baby wipes - and I clean it after every poop (its not deep, it just gets cleaned when i clean the poop chute). But i was worried about the baby wipes. I always dry it with a towel and it becomes a whole long drawn out thing.

I can use witch hazel definitely.... what concoctions does the vet have?

Yes, the witch hazel is much better! (And easier for you anyway!)

I'm not sure what exactly the vet gave me, I know it's an antiseptic (like witch hazel). I threw the bottle it came in out forever ago (it lasts a while!), but he makes it himself and is an EB genius, so I pretty much just trust whatever he says to do hahaha.

I just get it from him because it's no more expensive than witch hazel (for the amount he sells it at), he recommends it for ANY bully skin/cleaning issue, and it smells wonderful! I'll ask him what it is exactly next time I go :)

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I've found that I like to use baby wipes because it gets the gunk out but then I go ahead and put witch hazel on after it's all cleaned out.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Yes, the witch hazel is much better! (And easier for you anyway!)

I'm not sure what exactly the vet gave me, I know it's an antiseptic (like witch hazel). I threw the bottle it came in out forever ago (it lasts a while!), but he makes it himself and is an EB genius, so I pretty much just trust whatever he says to do hahaha.

I just get it from him because it's no more expensive than witch hazel (for the amount he sells it at), he recommends it for ANY bully skin/cleaning issue, and it smells wonderful! I'll ask him what it is exactly next time I go :)

Oh that would be great info!! Tell him he doesnt have to share his recipe... just hint at what the ingredients are and you can figure it out LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.