Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

  1. #1
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Default How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    So I took Izzy to the vet for her rabies shot and asked about her pocket tail, after reading inumerous posts and articles I had a feeling Izzy also had a deep pocket tale but I was still unsure (didn't want just to stick my finger and hurt her!). The vet showed me how to clean the area and I also watched the video here on the topic but my question is how often do I need to clean it? The vet said once a week, the forum says everyday... I just don't want rub it too much to the point that might cause her a rash in that area.... also does it hurt when we clean it? Izzy's tail is so thight that it takes me a few seconds to locate it and be able to stick the baby wipes underneath the tail.

    Bulldogs come with so many surprises

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  2. #2
    ..........
    Real Name
    Jenn
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    0
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    I would check it every few days or so until you know how clean it is. Cutty has a deep one that has NEVER been dirty. The vet was suprised too when he asked if I clean it and I said not really cuz he never needs it cleaned. (I thought great, this will be the time I am wrong) Sure enough spic and span. He said it was a deep one too so he was shocked. I still do it every once in a blue moon to make sure and he likes it so why not.

  3. #3
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    TessaAndSamson's Avatar
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,262
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    8
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    I clean Samson's every 3-4 days which I would say is enough because it's been 6 1/2 years and we've never had any issues! (knock on wood LOL)

    "Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

  4. #4
    Dog Park Attendant hnhammond's Avatar
    Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    471
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default Re: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    My vet recommends cleaning every day (or at least every other day), and to NOT use baby wipes! Baby wipes leave a danger of trapping moisture into the area (and that spot is VERY hard to dry!). You should use an antiseptic, such as witch hazel. I use a concoction that my vet makes. I keep a little sandwich Tupperware of the liquid, and leave a stack of gauzy pads soaking in it. That way cleaning is very easy - just grab a pad, wipe, and you're done! You don't need to worry about drying the area or anything with the antiseptic - which keeps it from getting infected.

    Matilda has a very tight tail, too - it doesn't hurt them to reach in and really clean it. The only way it hurts them is if it is infected. She doesn't even notice most of the time when I do it. If the tail is tight, that just means you need to REALLY get into it and make sure you feel the entire base of the tail (you don't want to leave anything behind!).

    It is part of our nightly routine. I clean Til's wrinkles (I wipe her face with a baby wipe and put vaseline on wrinkles/nose), and wipe off her feet (also with baby wipes, no dirty bullies allowed in my bed haha), wipe her lady parts (which we do several times a day since Til had a bladder infection before, and again, with baby wipes), and lastly, use my soaked gauzy pads (which again, use an antiseptic like witch hazel!) to wipe down her belly (she tends to break out there) and clean her tail pocket.

    It takes only a few minutes and is a small price to pay for a happy bully.

  5. #5
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    I clean my two at least once a day, I don't wipe them every time they poop, but I look and if they need it, I wipe them with a babywipe. If their stools are firm, which they are now since I switched their food, then once a day is usually ok, but when they had loose stools from the wrong food, I wiped them after. I also bathe my two every Sunday, so they are cleaned on a regular basis. I also use baby wipes on their faces, twice a week, I do their folds, their ears, their eyes, and tails with the baby wipes.

  6. #6
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,125
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11470

    Default Re: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    During allergy season I do daily (1 or 2 times).... off allergy season maybe every other day
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. #7
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Default Re: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    My vet recommends cleaning every day (or at least every other day), and to NOT use baby wipes! Baby wipes leave a danger of trapping moisture into the area (and that spot is VERY hard to dry!). You should use an antiseptic, such as witch hazel. I use a concoction that my vet makes. I keep a little sandwich Tupperware of the liquid, and leave a stack of gauzy pads soaking in it. That way cleaning is very easy - just grab a pad, wipe, and you're done! You don't need to worry about drying the area or anything with the antiseptic - which keeps it from getting infected.

    Matilda has a very tight tail, too - it doesn't hurt them to reach in and really clean it. The only way it hurts them is if it is infected. She doesn't even notice most of the time when I do it. If the tail is tight, that just means you need to REALLY get into it and make sure you feel the entire base of the tail (you don't want to leave anything behind!).

    It is part of our nightly routine. I clean Til's wrinkles (I wipe her face with a baby wipe and put vaseline on wrinkles/nose), and wipe off her feet (also with baby wipes, no dirty bullies allowed in my bed haha), wipe her lady parts (which we do several times a day since Til had a bladder infection before, and again, with baby wipes), and lastly, use my soaked gauzy pads (which again, use an antiseptic like witch hazel!) to wipe down her belly (she tends to break out there) and clean her tail pocket.

    It takes only a few minutes and is a small price to pay for a happy bully.
    I was cleaning with baby wipes but I will switch to gauzy pads and use only the solution that the vet gave us. Hers is really tight and I can't really "see" if it's dirty, only when I try to reach to clean that I noticed that is dirty and also has some lose hair. I think I will setup a schedule for us... it sounds that Matilda has a great routine. Izzy doesn't have deep face wrinkles so I dont worry much about them but I will establish a weekly schedule for her to include the pocket tail, ears, nose vaseline and paws.

    I will start with 2x week and take it from there.....

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  8. #8
    Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    elearn's Avatar
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,209
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    I've been using baby wipes - and I clean it after every poop (its not deep, it just gets cleaned when i clean the poop chute). But i was worried about the baby wipes. I always dry it with a towel and it becomes a whole long drawn out thing.

    I can use witch hazel definitely.... what concoctions does the vet have?

  9. #9
    Dog Park Attendant hnhammond's Avatar
    Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    471
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default Re: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    Quote Originally Posted by elearn View Post
    I've been using baby wipes - and I clean it after every poop (its not deep, it just gets cleaned when i clean the poop chute). But i was worried about the baby wipes. I always dry it with a towel and it becomes a whole long drawn out thing.

    I can use witch hazel definitely.... what concoctions does the vet have?
    Yes, the witch hazel is much better! (And easier for you anyway!)

    I'm not sure what exactly the vet gave me, I know it's an antiseptic (like witch hazel). I threw the bottle it came in out forever ago (it lasts a while!), but he makes it himself and is an EB genius, so I pretty much just trust whatever he says to do hahaha.

    I just get it from him because it's no more expensive than witch hazel (for the amount he sells it at), he recommends it for ANY bully skin/cleaning issue, and it smells wonderful! I'll ask him what it is exactly next time I go

  10. #10
    Dog Groomer babybully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Great Lakes, North Chicago
    Posts
    513
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    I've found that I like to use baby wipes because it gets the gunk out but then I go ahead and put witch hazel on after it's all cleaned out.

  11. #11
    Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    elearn's Avatar
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,209
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: How often do I need to clean her pocket tail?

    Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    Yes, the witch hazel is much better! (And easier for you anyway!)

    I'm not sure what exactly the vet gave me, I know it's an antiseptic (like witch hazel). I threw the bottle it came in out forever ago (it lasts a while!), but he makes it himself and is an EB genius, so I pretty much just trust whatever he says to do hahaha.

    I just get it from him because it's no more expensive than witch hazel (for the amount he sells it at), he recommends it for ANY bully skin/cleaning issue, and it smells wonderful! I'll ask him what it is exactly next time I go
    Oh that would be great info!! Tell him he doesnt have to share his recipe... just hint at what the ingredients are and you can figure it out LOL

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •