Spaying-ADVICE

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Hey friends,

My vet quoted $450 to spay spunky (including blood work) and SPCA quoted me $89.....price wise it's a no brainer...but please tell me if there are any reasons we shouldn't go with SPCA-since she is our baby...

[MENTION=4194]GoGween[/MENTION]

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Do you really want to bargain price something as important as this?

If your prepared for the worst possible outcome (death) with the "bargain" rate then go for it.

I believe their are more complications with spaying a bully then any other breed due too the smaller airways etc etc hence the reason the higher costs. Perhaps you may want to check into the SPCA bargain price further as to why.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
I would ask who the vet is that is doing the spaying. I know that our vet volunteers his time at these clinics. Can't hurt to ask and do some research. But there is something to be said about continuity of care from your own vet.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I would follow Gunny B's advise and find out as much information on the vet that will do the surgery before you make any appointments, it's better to be safe then sorry .... good luck with whichever you choose and keep us posted.

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
That's a little high my vet is charging me only 200 for emmitt. But I guess it's higher for a female. But didn't think it was that much higher.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I paid roughly that for Raven's spay when she had the surgery. I didn't go to the ASPCA for several reasons. The first I was worried about her continued care and being able to call and get someone ASAP if something seemed off during her recovery. The second was that the ASPCA in NYC took only a certain number of animals per day and I would have to be there and get online something like 5 am and it was all first come first served. The third, and this was a biggie for me, they hadn't mentioned using Isoflourine (sp?) gas which is better for dogs with more delicate issues such as yorkies and bullies as well as not including the blood panel prior to surgery. I wanted that panel done to be sure her values were all fine so there were no extra unnecessary risks while she was under. That being said and done I opted for my bully loving vet. They kept her overnight for me, babied the hell out of her (saw tons of staff pictures when we picked her up) and did a wonderful job. She was back to her little mischevious self that night that we brought her home. Good luck deciding.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
I didn't ask about the price being so low. My friend has taken her dogs/cats to SPCA every time though they have been pit bulls not bullies. My last dog over 55 lbs. was also around $500 (different vet) so I'm not sure why so expensive. I'll do more research on the matter.

Can I just ask, as I'm not familiar. Why is it taking a risk to go with SPCA?

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Oops we posted at the same time...thanks for the info!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Oops we posted at the same time...thanks for the info!

Your welcome. By the way the other pros with my private vet was..the iso gas is much easier to wake them out of, so they tend to use that on toy dogs, pregnant dogs and dogs that are in serious condition. They also used a heated table to help regulate my yorkie's temp while under, temp changes are not good for yorkies in surgery. All in all after discussing the procedure with my private vet I felt more comfy. He has spayed my 2 3/4 pound yorkie as well as Raven. I also liked that he wasn't trying to upsell me. One time he wasn't in and I spoke to one of the other vets on the service to just question things and this fool was trying to sell me the laser spay which was $1k. When I finally got to speak to my usual guy, he was good about telling me that we would have to evaluate her when the time actually came. When we went for the pre-spay visit he told me due to the fact that she is on the smaller size for a bully he recommended the classic spay because it would actually do less damage to her body. The tools needed to go in and do the laser surgery would not be good for her and would actually maximize her recovery time vs minimizing it. I am very grateful to that man because he acts like a caring doctor and not just a greedy rat like that other doctor at the office.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We just had Ellie spayed last Friday and the total bill was $289. That included the spaying, micro chipping, blood work, and nasal cauterization. The microchip ended up being free as there was a reimbursement/discount from the USDA on the bill, so it basically ended up being $289 for the rest. Our vet bases the spaying cost on the animals weight regardless of their age. You may want to ask your vet how the price quoted to you was determined. Then again, we live in a smaller area where a $500 spaying bill would run a vet out of town and down to Atlanta.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
I called her old vet...and they will do it for $190!!!! That's more like it!!

Thanks for the advice!

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
I live in a rural area its 15 miles to town our vet spayed and microchiped April for 175 $ she also went by weight -the good thing is my cousin is a vet tech at our vets so she got to help but it didnt help on price but on piece of mind:pray:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=4212]Spunkysmom2012[/MENTION] There is nothing wrong with shopping around for prices. But just make sure you go with a vet you trust. ALWAYS ask that one valuable question no matter who it is. What anaesthetic do they use .......... and if they DON'T say ISO then you get your butt out of there as quick as you can. Because anything else is not acceptable for bulldog surgery!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.