Snow/Ice Melt question

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Being that winter is now here, and it's our first with Bacon I was wondering if anyone has used the snow/ice melt that is supposedly pet safe that they sell at petco? And if not do you have any other suggestions, Bacon has a pen outside that needs to be hosed out and I will need a safe way to melt the ice after it is hosed down

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Snow? What's snow? When we get 1/4" here the world ends (it cracks me up after living in Alberta, Yukon, and Alaska). No idea on products to use. I don't bother with trying to remove it, I let them run out and run in on the rare occasions it does snow.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
sorry wish I had some great insight for you but I'm in California and well I have to travel to find snow where I live but I hope that you find something safe the works really well.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I will be watching this thread..I was just thinking about this yesterday.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We use a lot of salt on the sidewalks/parking area. I get the cheap stuff in 50# bags. HRH's feet havent fallen off yet.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
We use a lot of salt on the sidewalks/parking area. I get the cheap stuff in 50# bags. HRH's feet havent fallen off yet.

Does HRH actually put her royal feet down long enough in the snow/ice to get any salt on them? :)

OP
Baconator

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Okay cool thanks Bruce I was more concerned with Bacon licking it off the ground in the outside part of his day pen. I'm not really concerned about the snow, it's more about the glare ice I will be creating when hosing his pen out in the middle of the winter. Animals with hip issues inherent in the species on glare ice, not a good thing.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Okay cool thanks Bruce I was more concerned with Bacon licking it off the ground in the outside part of his day pen. I'm not really concerned about the snow, it's more about the glare ice I will be creating when hosing his pen out in the middle of the winter. Animals with hip issues inherent in the species on glare ice, not a good thing.

I was thinking of getting some of the musher's secret balm to put on her paws. Raven doesn't like to walk anywhere but our backyard so I will do my best to just shovel off and avoid salt there.

OP
Baconator

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
haha just checked my camera at the house and the grass in the backyard is white, can't wait to release the beast into the snow for the first time. I'll post the video later

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi @Baconator, yes we totally used pet safe/environment safe stuff on our steps and walk last winter.... I can't recall the specific name though. I am sure there are several on the market in the US. It seemed to work just fine, and gave me peace of mind. We had a ton of freezing rain here last winter, so there was always ice. I have those leather boots for the dogs too (when they agree to wear them), for the rock salt on the roads we walk on (they use a ton of rock salt here - it is ludicrous). Another option is to simply use (clean) dirt/gravel that doesn't have any antifreeze or melting agent in it...so that at least the ice isn't so slippery....
I will try to remember what we use. I am in NE Ontario, we probably get similar winter weather.:down:
Here is a shot!!! 2.jpg

I am also neurotic about using a wet wipe (like baby wipe) on the paws after they are outside in the winter, if I know they could have had some salt contact.... by March there is SO much gasoline, or antifreeze, and rock salt accumulated on the roads I feel like I make them walk in a toxic soup!!!!

Last edited:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
looking forward to the video ... my dogs have never seen snow

OP
Baconator

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm like a giddy little kid right now I can't wait to get out of here and go home to play in the snow with Bacon

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I'm like a giddy little kid right now I can't wait to get out of here and go home to play in the snow with Bacon

i just opened the door to show Herman the snow falling, he just looked at me like "THIS is what you woke me up for?" Very unimpressed. But its not sticking...
I hadnt thought about it, but Herman doesnt want to walk anywhere but in the grass anyway so I'll just have to watch him closely on the steps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... we use the pet safe icemelt... gotta go find the container and get the name for you

Members online

No members online now.