copper / red stain on wrinkles won't disappear.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
stig's face wrinkle turned copper/red last week. anyone have any tips to get it back to it's original colour? we clean his wrinkles with eye saline solution every other day and dab it with cornstarch after drying it as much as possible.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Has he eaten anything that he normally doesn't or did you change his food?

I use Hydrogen peroxide mixed with cornstarch and it removes the stains after several applications of it. But if he all the sudden got stains I am wondering why. He could have allergies too, and his eyes are swollen causing more watering of the eyes= wrinkle stains. Otherwise, food can do this also.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester had them when he was younger.. now we give him half a 500mg tums once per day.. clean the area with baby wipes.. and apply baby powder with cornstarch. We also switched over to Avoderm..and it's worked wonders! Thank goodness only one half of his face is white - they can really get dark!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I do the pet store tear stain remover, cornstarch, and he's been on Avoderm since he was 9 weeks old. I have seen improvement but they aren't totally gone. The vet recommended Angel Eyes but I haven't tried that yet and I refuse to give him benadryl for just the stain removal. I am inclined to try Tums but I am going to give it a couple more months. Am I doing the stain remover and cornstarch wrong? i don't mix them i just apply the remover than cornstarch all the wrinkles on his face??

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Tums?? I have never heard of this before. How effective is it for tear stains? How much do you use? I use Angel Eyes on Bruno's face and it works amazing. His face changes in about a week, but it is very expensive for a tiny bit.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I do the pet store tear stain remover, cornstarch, and he's been on Avoderm since he was 9 weeks old. I have seen improvement but they aren't totally gone. The vet recommended Angel Eyes but I haven't tried that yet and I refuse to give him benadryl for just the stain removal. I am inclined to try Tums but I am going to give it a couple more months. Am I doing the stain remover and cornstarch wrong? i don't mix them i just apply the remover than cornstarch all the wrinkles on his face??

No, you would not mix tear stain remover with cornstarch. Just use peroxide with cornstarch, plus it's cheaper :)

Cornstarch by itself will "clump". When you mix with peroxide it makes a very odd paste, that is hard to grab. I scoop some with my finger and then rub it on the tear stain area, and it sorta 'melts'. Then you do not get clumping from the cornstarch.

Allergies can cause swelling in the eyes, which will turn the lower eyelid in, and make it curl toward the eye. Well, what is on that lower lid? Fur. Poking into the eye. Ouchie. Then that causes more eye tears to form hence even more tear stains. Food can play a big part in tear stains, because they may have an allergy to the ingredients. It took me 5 tries to find the right food for Jesse, and now she hardly has any tear stains at all.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
oh so those are tear stains :p. Didn't think they can cover the whole wrinkle.

stig does have allergies and we're still trying to figure out what it is. he's on his third food, fromm salmon a la veg, and he hasn't broke into hives so far, at least i don't think so. we started transitioning from his old food last week and we're going to do 100% new (fromm) today.

would you recommend changing his food again, since my concern now are the tear stains? i'm thinking i should continue for another week and see if this is the food that fits him.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wait a few weeks first, and use the formula of peroxide with cornstartch. You must assist in getting rid of the stain. Also, a bit of desitin after putting that on sure helps from more staining.

If salmon a la veg does not work you can try grain free surf and turf. :)

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
We give Chester 1/2 a tablet of the 500 mg tums. We tried angel eyes - we didn't notice a difference in the week that we gave it to him and he broke out in hives, so we stopped it.

Members online

No members online now.