Rescued a dog but can't get her to eat

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], we only give HRH 3/4 cup twice a day of her Fromm Beef Frittata. She also gets a tablespoon of greek yogurt and 3/4 of a banana daily. we had been giving 1 cup at each feeding but she started gaining weight so we cut back. She also gets a few pieces of kibble a couple times a day for a treat after she's gone outside to potty.

feeding two cups 3x a day seems like an awful lot.

HRH also didn't eat very enthusiastically at first when she came here. But after she adjusted to us her natural food excitement tendencies resurfaced and she gets quite excited at meal and treat times.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Each dog is different. I always feed by looking and feeling the weight of my dogs. Mila, 7 months, is eating the same as Rudy, over a year. 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups a day, natures domain.At night they get 1Tbsp of cottage cheese as a topping. Mimi (RIP) was always fed about 1-1/2cups of food a day for most of her 10-1/2 years and didn't get too skinny or too fat. Tyler (RIP) was fed 2 cups. Mimi was 43 pounds, Tyler was 53 pounds, Rudy is about 45 pounds and Mila is about 34 pounds. Hope this helps.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
that is so awesome that you rescued her!!! Where are in Michigan? I see you mentioned Michigan State, I'm in Lansing and two of my bullies go to MSUVTH to see Dr. Sanders, their cardiologist. If you are in the area would love to meet up with our bullies for a play date sometime.

OP
M

mabel lou

No her vet said to feed one cup 3x a day but after writing this she went over and ate her food which I had hot water in it making a gravy with it. Today she ate all on her own but it is when she wants to eat. She does not like the dry food at all so the water is helping and she eats it all. She goes to vet next week so I will see what the vet says then about continuing or not the 3x a day (cup).

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: congratulations on your new baby girl Thelma what a great thing you did if everyone would just do that once in their life this place would be a whole lot better. I'm glad she is getting settled if you want her to eat all her food I would put some yogurt in it or green beans some cottage cheese that would get any dog to eat an its good for them so It's not hurting her to try good luck

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
Roxy was the same way when we first got her and also after the ride out here to Seattle. She would barely eat and turned her nose up at pretty much every food we put in front of her. She was so underweight we were really getting worried about her (only 37 lbs!!!!). She'd also been on hypothyroid meds which she clearly didn't need so we stopped giving them to her immediately. :bitching:

The girl at Petco actually suggested to put her on puppy food (with Blue Buffalo the kibble is the same size which was my main concern) in hopes that she would gain weight on it... and it seems to be working. We feed her a combo of the Duck and Oatmeal puppy food and the Blue Buffalo canned beef stew which she scarfs down like it's trying to escape from the bowl!! We can't see her spine anymore and the ribs are disappearing too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online