We got her!! Also questions

Adorabull

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka truck and new puppy
Hi! Well she is home and we are totally in love! We decided on Pippa ( my nickname for her is Pippa Pumkin Pie). She is a love bug! Wants to cuddle all the time. Only problem is she doesn't want to be put down. Seriously goes potty then wants to be held. It was cute the for 24 hrs and still is but she at some point is gonna have to be by herself. Slept with us the first night...Last night I put her in her play yard with food, toys, bed, ect..... She cried for over an hour. It killed me to hear her. Any suggestions? I come back into the room and pick her up I swear she grabs around my neck and holds on like she is sqeezing me for dear life. Tried several more time with no luck. Hubby says to let her cry it out..., that sounds so cruel to me but is he right? I don't mind her sleeping with me actually love it. Just want to be able to put her down during the day without her crying.
IMG_6753.jpg

IMG_7687.jpg

IMG_6025.jpg

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
She is precious! Your husband is right, let her cry it out. If you want her to sleep with you remember she is tiny now but will grow into a big, snoring bed-hog! You could get a baby sling and carry her around all day, but she needs to learn to entertain herself and not be held all of the time. She will adjust, just give her time!Congratulations!

OP
A

Adorabull

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Also want to add ...I had surgery couple of days before I got her. I figured its perfect timing so I have took advantage of it and the first couple of days of bonding just cuddling and taking it easy. Did I spoil her from the get go lol? Its been great for bonding with her.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She is such a doll. The crying will continue for a few days. She is missing her litter mates and a little scared, as she is in a new house. It just takes time for her to get adjusted to her surroundings. I would get her a wire crate and make that her bed and place to go when she needs to rest and when you are not home. Some people will put the crate next to their bed at first and hang your arm off the bed and touch her crate so she can feel you there, this seems to help. after a few nights you can move her crate a little further away and one day when she gets used to her new house, you can put her in another room.

OP
A

Adorabull

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! I will just have to grow tuff skin and let her cry it out. I just wanted to make sure this is what I needed to do. She is such a cuddle bug!

OP
A

Adorabull

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Davidh I will try that.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Congratulations and Pippa is just as cute as can be, I would want to snuggle with her all the time too! Start your training now, set the rules boundaries and limitations right away and stick to them, the more consistent you are with her at this young age the better off you and she will be in the long run. It's hard to hear them cry but she has to learn that it is ok to be by herself you might think about getting one of those stuffed toys that has the sound of a beating heart so she can cuddle with it and it will give her the comfort she needs, they also warm up so its helpful with new puppies. I let my dogs sleep with me, but I am single and have a king size bed (of which I get the edge) and their snoring helps me sleep at night but if you don't plan to let her always sleep with you, then make sure you put her in her bed or her crate now so she knows that's where she sleeps and isn't confused later on why she use to get to be on the bed.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree you have to let her cry it out, otherwise if you pick her up every time she cries, she'll learn that crying will get her out, and sometimes that's not always possible. She has to learn that their are times when she has to crated, like when she's training, your not home, or you can't watch he at the moment, or its not safe. She will soon learn her new surroundings, and as long as she's let out most of the time, she'll learn that her crate is a safe place, and a place to rest, and she won't mind going in. I know it's hard to hear them cry, we feel guilty, but its no different, than a baby, if you don't let the m cry a little bit in the. Crib, the n they will never learn to go to sleep on their own. That's how they learn to trust that mommy will come. Good luck, be strong.

OP
A

Adorabull

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Great idea Bulldogs4me! Tonka which is my 16 week old male bully never cried when we first got him. Was very independent and loved his bed. He would cuddle but only for a few minutes then wanted down. I just want to do what's best for her. She is getting more and more clingy so knew I needed help. Thanks everyone for helping!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Congrats on becoming owned by an AdoraBULL baby!!!!!!! :love:

OP
A

Adorabull

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
I have put her in her play yard... Made up my mind not to pick her back up till the crying has stopped for at least 15 min. This is hard but I know I got to do it.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
try wearing a shirt and before putting it in the laundry, let her sleep with it. she won't feel so all alone if she has your sent . ( not you favorite shirt) like and old sweat shirt or something similar

OP
A

Adorabull

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
try wearing a shirt and before putting it in the laundry, let her sleep with it. she won't feel so all alone if she has your sent . ( not you favorite shirt) like and old sweat shirt or something similar
Awesome idea:)
Will try this now!

OP
A

Adorabull

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
I love the name Pippa. What a perfect name! Just like Pippa, Kate's (as in the royal Kate and William) sister! She is as beautiful as can be!
Thanks! It was the first name that popped into my head when I saw her pic... After going over 1000 names we went back to it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.