barking problem!!!!

mommy2zeus

Mar 9, 2012
Northumberland, Pennsylvania, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
hello everyone!!!!! my husband and i are having trouble with zeus! he has been barking almost non stop when we leave the house! i thought that maybe the cat gets in the bedroom and teases him but that isnt the case everyday! we went shopping today for 3 hours and he barked the whole time we were gone. i try to take with a grain of salt but my husband has gotten so angry with him. our landlord even sent us a txt with a sound message with him barking!!!!! it makes me wanna cry!!!!!

what can i do???? :-(

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
do you kennel him when gone or is he free to roam? sounds like he needs some separation training ... he needs to understand that he is ok when you leave and that you will come back. I would start by doing little amounts of time while you are home to monitor him put him in his crate or the room you leave him in when your away from home and when he barks correct him then leave the room again and wait outside the door if he barks go back in and correct him again (using a "atat" sound or tsssst or whichever sound you choose) it will take time, patience and consistency .... doing this over and over until he understands that the barking is not ok ... he will catch on and will eventually settle down while you are away. make sure you praise him A LOT when he is quiet in the room/crate and allow him to come back out and visit, he gets the reward of your company when he is quiet. good luck and hope that helps a little.

Last edited:

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I take Matilda to puppy school and there is a dog that has that problem.

The trainer uses this spray bottle(?) ish thing that makes a noise that scares the dog. She says its a last resort but its the only thing that works. The trick is to hide it from the dog when you use it, so that he thinks the noise happens every time he barks.

I wish I knew more about it, but they sell it at places like Petsmart. Maybe call and ask to speak to their trainers?

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Try a thunder shirt. We have a friend that had the same problem and swears by it.

A

Alaskasmom1

There are sometimes things that Alaska is afraid of and if they are out of place, she will NOT stop barking until we put them I. Place. things such as the remote to the tv, the vacuum sweeper, the cord to the vacuum sweeper. If Tank can see out the window he barks non stop at a piece of paper if it isn't usually there. These things are just a few examples of the wierd thi B&S that may cause a bully to bark nonstop. Tank can sometimes see his own reflection in the front windows and WILL NOT stop barking unless I close the shades. Silly Bully's :-)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I heard the thunder shirt is good too, at least worth a try. If it doesn't work, Petsmart will take it back. Do you leave a radio, or TV on for him? Maybe that would help. Good luck

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Alter your schedule so before you leave, you can take the pup on a long and exhausting walk. A tired pup is a good pup!

OP
mommy2zeus

mommy2zeus

Mar 9, 2012
Northumberland, Pennsylvania, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
i am going to take everything u guys suggested and do my best. the bedroom does look a little different cuz i have stuff to put away so maybe he doesnt like that. ill clean up today & try that first. i push a curtain open for him during the day too & maybe he saw a shadow that scared him...idk!!!!! if none of that works, ill try the thunder shirt!!!!

thanks so much for all the options!!!!!! u guys are the best!!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.