Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Default Another bulldog but a little concerned

Well porky is getting close to a year old and she lovesssssss other dogs so rog n I have been discussing getting another bully!!!!!!! We both agree wed like to adopt rather than buy if and when we do get one!!!!!! I have some concerns though like I said she lovessss other dogs but she's very much a mamas girl!!!! If rog n I try to cuddle she pushes between us n lays on me lol which I think is funny but its got me thinking maybe she's jealous n having another dog in the house would bring that out of her!!!!!!! We've thought about having the potential newcomer be younger so she can still be alpha but being she's only 8 months would we be able to adopt a bully that young????? Plus I'm a little partal to the straight tails I love seeing that thing wag lol but I guess I would like to know how others went about introducing a new sibling (let's face it they r our kids lol) to their bullies, if your first ever seemed unhappy (I'm worried she's going to think we don't love her anymore I'm a little dramatic lol) if the newbie was younger/older, same sex or opposite?? N if having theses concerns it would be smarter to adopt or buy??????
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another bulldog but a little concerned

We have brought lots of new dawgs in with many other breeds. It's all in HOW you do it. I have NOT dealt with Bully's in this way tho. I know many here have though. Let's see if we can get a few here to give you some help!

@2BullyMama..@Davidh....@cali~jenn..@savemejeebus

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    We have brought lots of new dawgs in with many other breeds. It's all in HOW you do it. I have NOT dealt with Bully's in this way tho. I know many here have though. Let's see if we can get a few here to give you some help!

@2BullyMama..@Davidh....@cali~jenn..@savemejeebus
    thank you
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

when I got Franklin grace just lost her love we had a male that raised her from 6 months old she did not like Franklin when I brought him home for like 2 weeks she didn't want anything to do with him an then one day they started to play an now she loves him the way she loved Diesol. Franklin is a mamma's boy big time my husband an I can't cuddle at all but grace he could care less if I'm not making a big deal that is. If you do get another dog and your worried I would get the opposite sex its much safer that way if your not getting a puppy an your dog hasn't really lived with another dog

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It will certainly be harder to adopt a younger one, unless a special needs bully would be something to consider? They are so sweet and loving, just a thought, many special needs babies have a hard time finding a great home.

As far as bringing another home that is older I think it would work out while your baby is still young.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Whether you adopt or buy one is strictly up to you. There are plenty of beautiful bullies for adoption but like Lisa said it is sometimes harder to find a young one. I always say everyone needs more than one bully. Usually male and female get along better but two females can get along fine. Some males do not do well together, unless both are neutered and this helps. Older bully or a pup, doesn't make that much difference as long as the older one is used to being around other dogs. When you do bring the new one home, let them meet outside, usually in the front yard. Let them have a little time outside to meet each other and the excitement to subside, then bring them in the house. You may have a little jealousy at first, but they will settle down and become friends before you know it. You just have to show both of them the same attention.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

you have some great advise in the posts above ... I just wanted to say hope all works out
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Well we got mugsy before Cutty turned 1 so they were sort of puppies together. My worry then was that Cutty would feel neglected since he was our first born. In reality they r pack animals and adapt to the changes in environment better than us I think. So Long as your attention to the pups is given separately and equally that part should be ok. Age doesn't determine alpha exactly so even getting a baby doesn't mean in a year or so you won't have problems. I think it is all how you allow them to fit in is the challenge.

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

You could always try fostering one first to test it out? That way you'd be helping a needy bully without the commitment just in case she's too jealous. I fostered pugs for Seattle's Pug Rescue and loved every minute of it!

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tom Fraley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge and LuLu
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sarge and LuLu get along great but they both want me at the same time. When one sees the other being loved on the other comes a runnin pushing the other away for the lovin. They dont get mean about it and love each other very much, so I end up lovin both at the same time, wouldnt change a thing they mean everything to me.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sweet Punkin pie joined our small family last year September. He was already 4 and a half years old and Stig was 2 and a half. So, like you, we were so worried how they would get along. The previous owner said that it was either we take him or a shelter. So of course we took him with us! We watched them like a hawk for the first couple of weeks and separated them with baby gates whenever no one was home. We listened to a few recommendations some members gave and introduced them at a nearby park. Still, Stig did get jealous for a bit, and even got into a fight with another dog when he went to daycare the next day! But we persisted and had them do small things together, like go for walks, be praised the same way, give the same amount of hugs and kisses, etc, etc. It was really Stiggy who we had to watch, as Punkin would walk away from him whenever he got close, and it was obvious that Stiggy was showing a little dominance. But we also kept in mind that Punkin wasn't socialized much, so we also watched him closely. After a couple of weeks, we noticed Stig do his playful stance! So that was when we let them figure things out on their own, with supervision of course, and they just wrestled and played together! It was such a beautiful sight, my bf and I just smiled and laughed while watching them.

Here's a pic of the actual day they first started playing. So all in all, I think we were lucky that Punkin has such a laid back attitude. But it still took a lot of guidance and patience from us!

Last edited by savemejeebus; 11-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Finding and adopting a your bully will be very hard unless they are special needs....... either way when you do bring in a second always introduce them on neutral grounds so both pups do not feel they need to protector their territory. Gender - since you have an alpha female, would be best to look for a laid back male. As for the pushing for cuddles during you hugs time with your hubby.... that is just for attention and making sure you remember they need lovin' too.

Our boy Nitschke did this ALL the time, he would paw at my leg or jump and bark till we stopped hugging --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads