Another bulldog but a little concerned

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Well porky is getting close to a year old and she lovesssssss other dogs :) so rog n I have been discussing getting another bully!!!!!!! We both agree wed like to adopt rather than buy if and when we do get one!!!!!! I have some concerns though like I said she lovessss other dogs but she's very much a mamas girl!!!! If rog n I try to cuddle she pushes between us n lays on me lol which I think is funny but its got me thinking maybe she's jealous n having another dog in the house would bring that out of her!!!!!!! We've thought about having the potential newcomer be younger so she can still be alpha but being she's only 8 months would we be able to adopt a bully that young????? Plus I'm a little partal to the straight tails :) I love seeing that thing wag lol but I guess I would like to know how others went about introducing a new sibling (let's face it they r our kids lol) to their bullies, if your first ever seemed unhappy (I'm worried she's going to think we don't love her anymore :( I'm a little dramatic lol) if the newbie was younger/older, same sex or opposite?? N if having theses concerns it would be smarter to adopt or buy??????

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have brought lots of new dawgs in with many other breeds. It's all in HOW you do it. I have NOT dealt with Bully's in this way tho. I know many here have though. Let's see if we can get a few here to give you some help!

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]....[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]..[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: when I got Franklin grace just lost her love we had a male that raised her from 6 months old she did not like Franklin when I brought him home for like 2 weeks she didn't want anything to do with him an then one day they started to play an now she loves him the way she loved Diesol. Franklin is a mamma's boy big time my husband an I can't cuddle at all but grace he could care less if I'm not making a big deal that is. If you do get another dog and your worried I would get the opposite sex its much safer that way if your not getting a puppy an your dog hasn't really lived with another dog

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It will certainly be harder to adopt a younger one, unless a special needs bully would be something to consider? They are so sweet and loving, just a thought, many special needs babies have a hard time finding a great home.

As far as bringing another home that is older I think it would work out while your baby is still young.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Whether you adopt or buy one is strictly up to you. There are plenty of beautiful bullies for adoption but like Lisa said it is sometimes harder to find a young one. I always say everyone needs more than one bully. Usually male and female get along better but two females can get along fine. Some males do not do well together, unless both are neutered and this helps. Older bully or a pup, doesn't make that much difference as long as the older one is used to being around other dogs. When you do bring the new one home, let them meet outside, usually in the front yard. Let them have a little time outside to meet each other and the excitement to subside, then bring them in the house. You may have a little jealousy at first, but they will settle down and become friends before you know it. You just have to show both of them the same attention.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
you have some great advise in the posts above ... I just wanted to say hope all works out

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well we got mugsy before Cutty turned 1 so they were sort of puppies together. My worry then was that Cutty would feel neglected since he was our first born. In reality they r pack animals and adapt to the changes in environment better than us I think. So Long as your attention to the pups is given separately and equally that part should be ok. Age doesn't determine alpha exactly so even getting a baby doesn't mean in a year or so you won't have problems. I think it is all how you allow them to fit in is the challenge.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
You could always try fostering one first to test it out? That way you'd be helping a needy bully without the commitment just in case she's too jealous. I fostered pugs for Seattle's Pug Rescue and loved every minute of it!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Sarge and LuLu get along great but they both want me at the same time. When one sees the other being loved on the other comes a runnin pushing the other away for the lovin. They dont get mean about it and love each other very much, so I end up lovin both at the same time, wouldnt change a thing they mean everything to me.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Sweet Punkin pie joined our small family last year September. He was already 4 and a half years old and Stig was 2 and a half. So, like you, we were so worried how they would get along. The previous owner said that it was either we take him or a shelter. :eek: So of course we took him with us! We watched them like a hawk for the first couple of weeks and separated them with baby gates whenever no one was home. We listened to a few recommendations some members gave and introduced them at a nearby park. Still, Stig did get jealous for a bit, and even got into a fight with another dog when he went to daycare the next day! :*( But we persisted and had them do small things together, like go for walks, be praised the same way, give the same amount of hugs and kisses, etc, etc. It was really Stiggy who we had to watch, as Punkin would walk away from him whenever he got close, and it was obvious that Stiggy was showing a little dominance. But we also kept in mind that Punkin wasn't socialized much, so we also watched him closely. After a couple of weeks, we noticed Stig do his playful stance! So that was when we let them figure things out on their own, with supervision of course, and they just wrestled and played together! It was such a beautiful sight, my bf and I just smiled and laughed while watching them.

Here's a pic of the actual day they first started playing. So all in all, I think we were lucky that Punkin has such a laid back attitude. But it still took a lot of guidance and patience from us!

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Finding and adopting a your bully will be very hard unless they are special needs....... either way when you do bring in a second always introduce them on neutral grounds so both pups do not feel they need to protector their territory. Gender - since you have an alpha female, would be best to look for a laid back male. As for the pushing for cuddles during you hugs time with your hubby.... that is just for attention and making sure you remember they need lovin' too.

Our boy Nitschke did this ALL the time, he would paw at my leg or jump and bark till we stopped hugging --

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
You could always try fostering one first to test it out? That way you'd be helping a needy bully without the commitment just in case she's too jealous. I fostered pugs for Seattle's Pug Rescue and loved every minute of it!
:) I was thinking that, it's a great idea the onl prob I'd have is choosing one to foster lol I'd want them all :)

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Sarge and LuLu get along great but they both want me at the same time. When one sees the other being loved on the other comes a runnin pushing the other away for the lovin. They dont get mean about it and love each other very much, so I end up lovin both at the same time, wouldnt change a thing they mean everything to me.
Lol omg 2 at a time they'd suffocate me lmao she lays on my face like literally her face has to be over mine lol it was cute when she was 2 months old n only weighed 9 pounds lol now it's just painful :D but I let her do it anyways!!!!! I'm a little less concerned about it after reading everyone's comments :) plus roger said we have to wait until taxes r back lol damn him but that means she will be a year old n we can have the $$ to buy double of everything n vet bills etc!!!!

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Finding and adopting a your bully will be very hard unless they are special needs....... either way when you do bring in a second always introduce them on neutral grounds so both pups do not feel they need to protector their territory. Gender - since you have an alpha female, would be best to look for a laid back male. As for the pushing for cuddles during you hugs time with your hubby.... that is just for attention and making sure you remember they need lovin' too.

Our boy Nitschke did this ALL the time, he would paw at my leg or jump and bark till we stopped hugging --

:) I love when she does it he can't stand it lol she has submitted to other dogs its weird little dogs scare her n big dogs she tries to dominate so idk how she'd be with a dog her size!!! I wouldn't mind buying another one I just don't want the problems she had :( it cost us $1,200 in vet bills to repair her "hereditary" problems :( so I kinda want one that's a bit older so any issues r upfront n we can deal with accordingly!!!! Spending $2,000 on a puppy that u have to drop another $1,200 on 4 months later to fix bad breeding kinda made me weary lol!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.