Halloween Safety Tips for Dogs

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
Happy Halloween All!!

Just wanted to toss this up as we can never be too careful with our loved ones.

Did you know that besides the 4th of July, Halloween is the time of year that more dogs are lost? Here are some tips we want to share to help keep you and your dog safe.

Chocolate, raisins and artificial sweeteners are toxic to dogs
Make sure your stash of treats is out of reach of your dogs.

Secure your dog before opening the door for trick- or-treaters
Just the number of times the doorbell rings can cause emotions from fear, over-protectiveness and aggressiveness

Costumes can scare your dog
Even if your dog knows a person in normal clothing, a costume can be an entirely different story. If you sense any fear or apprehension in your dog do not let the person approach. This is made easier because you have your dog on a leash, right? Now if your dog is wearing a costume and is uncomfortable with it, he may act out with others, so again, keep him under control. If you are going door to door in your neighborhood, be careful of their dogs as well.

Unfortunately, the reality is that there are people (OK, let me say MONSTERS may they burn in hell!) who kill and abuse dogs out there and on Halloween black dogs and cats are prime targets. I don’t want to be an alarmist but this is the reality.

So remember these tips and use them. With a little bit of preparation, awareness and caution, you can keep your dogs, your family and neighbors safe and enjoy all the fun of Halloween!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Thanks so much for posting this reminder and some great info. Hope everyone has a safe and Happy Halloween :2thumbs:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
thank you for posting ... nice reminders to keep in our thoughts as the festivities begin.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Good tips... Thanks

I'll also add to be careful when walking your dog through the neighborhood during the next few days... candy/chocolate are often dropped and hidden in the grass, and can be bullyvacuumed up quickly if we are not paying attention.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
some very good advice there .......... thanks so much for the reminders!!!! :up:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Good advice, Vegas will retire to our bedroom while the trick or treaters are here tonight.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
We never get trick-or-treaters because our driveway is long, steep and has many dark corners! When I'm walking Ruggles down town the next few days I will watch for dropped treats!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.