NEED HELP!!!!

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
So Seamus is 6 months old and still having accidents in the house! He never poos in the house but does have pee accidents. We live on the 5th floor of an apartment building and I wonder if that is the reason why he is still having accidents. Once he has an accident I scold him then I have to get my keys, get my jacket, get his leash and then go to the elevator, wait for the elevator and then go down the hallway and outside.

He was doing really well but now it seems like every day there is some pee accident somewhere. I try to take him outside religiously and we are using bells on the front door to teach him to go to the door when he needs to go outside. Is this because we live in an apartment so its hard to create an association with going outside and going potty? Is it because he is reaching adolescents? He is getting neutered next week. Do you think that will help?

Any advice would be much appreciated! I just don't know what else to do to get him fully potty trained!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Be patient, he will get it some day, it just takes time and being in the apartment does have it's challenges. They will have their little accidents even when they get older, just not as frequent. Having him neutered will not help with this but will help with the marking if he ever does. But I doubt he is marking at this young age. My Buddy boy is 3 years old and still intact and has never marked in the house. I would just take him our more frequently and just watch him. This will all be passed you one day, just be patient.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
The longest haul with that was with our Boston terrier when we lived in a condo (pre Bully). I think it took a year. I have city friends who use pee-pads exclusively, have just given up. I've also heard you can train dogs to use litter. But, your bully will most likely want to make you proud and just get it right one of these days.

for what it's worth. We now have a years and a dog door. Lupe does gat going out to do business, but she refuses REFUSES to re-enter the dog door!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I agree with Davidh sounds like you may need to take Seamus out more often, to me that sounds like a lot of steps and a long time to have to wait when you've gotta go, so more frequent trips out could be the answer. good luck

M

mabel lou

puppy litter is great stuff especially since it is yet another option of potty training. I am right now having my brother use it for his puppy (which is not a bully). I built a double cage for his dog so she could lay on one side of the cage and eat and drink and sleep and when she has to go potty she can simply walk through the entrance way to the other part of the 2nd cage which I cut an opening and go potty. Now that is just how I did my brothers dog however you put puppy litter pan in the house and making sure you have some of the dogs poop or pee in it so it has the scent and when you want to take you dog outside you just put puppy in puppy litter and repeatedly say go potty. If the puppy should have a accident you simply take some of the litter and cover the urine and then scoop back up and place in the litter. Eventually the dog understands. Now my brother does not have to get up in the middle of the night to take his puppy outside for potty or he doesn't have to worry that his puppy is going to go potty in the house either, he has a few pans of it throughout the house. He takes his puppy out all the time and she will go sometimes outside and sometimes she doesn't so this gives her a place that is acceptable if she should all of a sudden have to go potty. He will move the puppy litter closer to the door gradually breaking her of the litter. I have used it for yrs when training puppies. You scoop the broke down litter out as needed (it's compacted paper made into pellets). They sell same stuff for cats only smaller pellets but for a puppy you don't need the larger pellets and it is several dollars cheaper.

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Thanks for all the advice. We don't want to use puppy liter or pee pads since our apartment isn't huge and we don't want it smelling of pee and poo. Also we really want him to understand that he has to go outside. Ugh I just wish he would start ringing the bells consistently so I would know when to take him outside. I proactively take him out throughout the day as well but he just hasn't caught on yet about going outside every single time.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka took a really long time to potty train as well...I feel your pain! We live in an apartment building-on the second floor only but still, it's less convenient. It didn't matter how often we took Tonka out...even during the times when physically he was at the point/age where he should be able to hold it longer, he wouldn't. I would just keep taking him out often anyway and make sure you reinforce this positive behavior every time....telling him what a good boy he is and using little treats. It took a while but Tonka finally learned that we would get upset when he would go in the apartment and that it was outside that he would get rewarded for. It's especially good if you catch him in the act of having an accident or see him getting ready to squat and then can grab him to go. We started to notice that when Tonka was going to go in the apartment he would do this little trot or we would see him sniffing around and then we would quick grab him and take him out. Now, if we haven't taken him out in a while and he feels he needs or wants to go he will go and sit by the door. It just takes time and patience! He will get it eventually!! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online