Venting.... hate when people judge the breed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I am going to email her tomorrow... Let's see what she will respond back.

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Demand your money back, tell her that you can train your dog better than some close minded (insert applicable words here)........then get your money, say, (in your most condescending tone) " bless your heart" and leave

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'd ask for my $175 back and tell her why.

Bruce is absolutely right. You're the customer. You purchased a product that did not live up to your expectations. Demand a refund and find another class you DO like!

Bea and I did three puppy classes in a row --- just for fun --- when she was a wee pup. I saw them as structured socialization and just fun for us both. She was the worst student in all three classes --- but we had a blast. The experience was a bonding one and I got to learn a LOT about what leadership is --- and isn't!

Screw that woman. Take your business elsewhere. Puppy training classes are supposed to be fun for both you and your pup. That angry energy you're sharing during the class (hey, I'd be po'd too!) isn't benefiting you OR Izzy.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Devil's advocate here: I cannot hear her tone, but if it's her professional opinion that bulldogs are obsessed about something, maybe she's right and you haven't found it yet. I've also read that as bulldogs get older, it is hard to get them to do things without a treat or some other form of motivation. BTW, is anyone's bulldog obsessed about anything? Mine is over a couple of items, but even still, it only holds Remi's attention for a few minutes.

Regardless, I know I posted a thread recently about how I interacted with a trainer at park who flat out called my dog (all EBs) stupid! And that about fried my bacon. So I have so been there. Plus I still can't believe it. Maybe it's denial, but I still think there is a misunderstanding about the breed: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/general-bulldog-talk/20438-bullys-too-stupid-huh.html

If someone said my dog should be more obsessed and stubborn because a lot of other bulldogs are, I wouldn't necessarily feel mad about that. I think there is a fine line between being oversensitive about our babies (Guilty as charged) and not being able to handle any criticism about them. There are pros and cons of all dogs, and it's nice to be aware of what could be instilled in ours from pure genetics. It doesn't necessarily mean they will be that way, but only just meeting your puppy, the trainer has to go on book knowledge and not experience.

(UNLESS SOMEONE CALLS MY BABY STUPID. Rawr!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I think we all get tired of the negative before the positive when it comes to training our bullies. Else it's like, why did you take my money if you are telling me you can't train my dog????

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I'd get my money back too! My Otis is one of the smartest dog's I have EVER known. Just a little stubborn is all but a quality I love about him. Adds to his character.

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
My boyfriend bought a puppy (beautiful, annoying, crazy German Shepherd) in March. He and Murphy ( the 85 pound puppy!!!) go to class at least once a week, and he's still nuts!!! He likes to play fetch, knows some cool tricks, but.... Freakin nuts!!! I'll take my lazy dog, who knows what lots of human sentences mean, any day. A trainer needs to capitalize on the strengths if she/he is going to judge. Find a new trainer. This one is clueless and not creative.

This coming from the girl that had afghans prior to her bulldog. Talk about hard headed!!! They didn't even care about food!!! And our trainer was a shepherd trainer who treated them with respect. The result was two agility super models. Your bully deserves better.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My boyfriend bought a puppy (beautiful, annoying, crazy German Shepherd) in March. He and Murphy ( the 85 pound puppy!!!) go to class at least once a week, and he's still nuts!!! He likes to play fetch, knows some cool tricks, but.... Freakin nuts!!! I'll take my lazy dog, who knows what lots of human sentences mean, any day. A trainer needs to capitalize on the strengths if she/he is going to judge. Find a new trainer. This one is clueless and not creative.

This coming from the girl that had afghans prior to her bulldog. Talk about hard headed!!! They didn't even care about food!!! And our trainer was a shepherd trainer who treated them with respect. The result was two agility super models. Your bully deserves better.

I used to be Afghan Crazy Too! I had a three legged rescue named Sammy. If you don't think she wasn't a conversation starter...! Incredible dog. She died of old age. :angelheart:

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
I used to be Afghan Crazy Too! I had a three legged rescue named Sammy. If you don't think she wasn't a conversation starter...! Incredible dog. She died of old age. :angelheart:

And I bet Sammy still ran like the wind :)

Ali, my first (of two) Af's was my heart dog.

Side note (since I've already side tracked the thread!!!) we are thinking of adding to our family, and an Afghan is on the short (very short) list. I'm finding that it's next to impossible to find a puppy! If anyone has a recommendation, please inbox me. :)

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
Ppl always get scare of major when I walk him and dont want major near theirs dogs. Well he got bitten twice by my mom chihuahua and my friend teacup yorkie..the story of my sweet lil guy :(

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
This reminds me of Halloween night when we took Cleo out with us and people either loved all over her (I'm talking grown men sitting on the ground and just letting her crawl all over them and lick them-seriously, twice!!) or pulled their kids away in a hurry trying to protect them. You know how many times I had to explain 'no, she's not a viscous dog, she always sounds like that'?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I am going to email her tomorrow... Let's see what she will respond back.

Judging a dog based on it's breed is ridiculous. As a trainer...she would never get away with saying to a pitbull owner "your dog will bite". She shouldn't be allowed to judge...you have the same right as any other person there and you deserve the same respect. With that being said........typically, yes......bulldogs are food motivated. When we had Vegas in training class...the instructor was a bulldog owner. When we were trying to put Vegas thru a tunnel....he wouldn't go. Sarah, the instructor, told me the reward wasn't good enough. She told me I had to up the reward to make it worth conquering a fear of his....the tunnel. Sure enough...she goes to the fridge and pulls out a treat that made him jump....thru the tunnel. Again and again and again. In this case..the trainer was right.

Members online

No members online now.