Venting.... hate when people judge the breed.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Sorry for using this forum to vent but I left our puppy training class a little upset yesterday. I am paying WAY more than what the class cost at Petco/Petsmart because I thought this place had a better reputation.

Anywazy, I really don't appreciate the little comments that the trainer (also owner of the facility) makes about Izzy. I am not sure why people have this idea of the breed and just think they are the same.

While doing some of the exercises to teach the dog to "drop it" she asked us to use a bone that she provided. Izzy didn't care much for it so it was kind of an useless exercise for us. Then I tried to use some toys and still... Izzy is a good little dog and she is not crazy about things in specific... she like her toys, her treats, but she never acts CRAZY about them.

So the trainer comment, among many others that she has been dropping throughout our classes was: OH SHE IS NOT OBSESSED ABOUT THE BONE, BUT SHE WILL BE OBSESSED ABOUT SOMETHING, ALL BULLDOGS ARE OBSESSED.

I was not happy!

Then in the beginning of the class when I was sharing with her my concern that Izzy is pretty mellow and chill so once we do the training for her to come when I call her usually she just seats and stares at me or walk very slowly.... so the trainer made a comment about how english bulldogs are hard to train especially if you dont have food. Then just to show off I got her to seat, give both paws, lay down and roll over.... BAM! Without a treat!

Just dont appreciate all the judgement coming from her... I paid $175 to get useful ideas and not to have somebody telling me that bulldogs are lazy and obsessed dogs.

:/

M

mabel lou

I would not ask I WOULD DEMAND MY MONEY BACK! POINT BLANK:cursing:

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
So riddle me this. Lazy and obsessed is worse that hyper and out of control? Who the heck is she to judge what breed makes a 'normal dog'. What is normal anyway? I concur. Demand your money back. She was to provide you a service, you are not happy with the 'promised' service.

Patty Roby

Apr 4, 2012
Bay City, Michigan, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Yeah, get your money back. Obsessed? My guy, sometimes maybe... mostly with clothes hangers. But I think Bulldogs want to please, and if they don't feel like it, they just give you the "No thank you, not right now." look. And for me, that's ok, unless I mean business, then he knows by my tone that he needs to do what I say. They aren't dogs, like those other dogs, after all.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
That is brutal. Dog school should not be like that. Your trainer is clearly prejudiced. Contrast this with my school experience, where the bullies were the "star" examples of calm and relaxed, never pulling, never hyper (yes I was in a class of lab retrievers and terriers LOL)...
Try to get money back. You and your baby deserve better treatment and respect.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would definitely tell her off and demand my money back.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I would ask for my money back if she was a good trainer she would never say anything like that obviously she can't train all dog's that's why she's already making excuses

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
wow, I'm so sorry you are having such a bad "trainer" experience, training should be fun! I would, like the others have said, talk to her let her know you don't appreciate the snide comments about Izzy and that you want a refund on the class so you can go to a trainer that will give you respect and the guidance you and Izzy deserve! There are classes out there and you will look forward to going to class each week! My best advise is to go to Petco or Petsmart or whichever training facility you plan to use meet the trainer first before signing up, go over the things you want Izzy to learn in the class, once you've talked with the trainer and have a feel of his/her personality you will know if you want to join their class, also take Izzy and pay close attention to the attention/reaction you get from the trainer.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
The ones that really irk me are the ones that say bullies are dumb.

Anyone who says that obviously hasn't spent much time in the company of a bully.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I would definitely tell her off and demand my money back.

Yep I concur. She needs to know as a trainer how insulting that was to you! I quit two Petsmart training places because I already and same information that I got from a book. All we were doing was wasting our time there. It was good for socialization though. You may want to put it in writing as well and give her the letter if you decide to talk to her. I'd just hand her a letter and explain it and ask for your money back. You may not get it back though if it's in the contract as nonrefundable. Whether or not bullies are harder to train and/or more stubborn is irrellavent. You're in her training class and she should know better and should be more professional about what she chooses to say.

Last edited:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I love my 'lazy obsessed' puppy. Hes house trained and walks on a lead and knows simple commands. ANything else he learns along the way is a bknhs. We dont want show off dogs we want loveable laid back babies which is what our bullies give us. Meekos 'lazyness' is perfect compared to my sisters husky puppy that chews everythin runs around all day needs 3 walks a day over an hour each and still runs round causing trouble at home. All my sister ever says is she wished she had a pup like mine. Id pick my baby any day who plays when i want him to and cuddles when i want him too.. If hes not playin or havin cuddles he lays down nice or plays with his toys by himself. And his only obsession is Me my partner and our baby hes obsessed with givin us love xxx <3 ignore everyday opinions we kno what theyr truly like... PERFECT in every way and more xxxxx

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
The only obsession going on is us with out bullies!!!
I love that you showed him up though.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would be mad too, how irritating people can be. All pups r different even within the breed. Mine r far from lazy but yes very OCD about things. Lol I would get money back and go somewhere the bullies r stars.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would look at the fine print and see if you can get your money back ... if you can then go for it and explain exactly why!!

If you can't then maybe ask for a different trainer, one that doesn't already have pre-conceived ideas about what a bulldog is all about!!!! :cursing:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.