How did you choose your Baby's name or names?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, I see a lot of interesting , funny and cute names for our bully babies. How did you choose your baby's name, is their a theme, or a sentimental reason for the name you picked, or a funny story behind it?

When we decided to get another dog after our Jack Russell Oreo, (yes she was black and white and the runt) passed away 2 years ago, we decided we were going to get an English Bulldog, I had always wanted one, but having Oreo for 14 years, we didn't. I had always said to my husband that if I ever got a EB , I would call it Bulldozer, Dozer for short. We bought Dozer for Mothers Day, but my husband couldn't choose between him and his sister ,they were the last two, and he took a shining to her, and said we couldn't leave her there alone. So he brought both home. What was he thinking? Lol Since I wanted the male, I called him Bulldozer, and that left a name to pick for the female. We started to think of themes, Elvis and Priscilla, Jagger and Bianca, or Mick and Bianca, because we are fans of the Rolling Stones, my son liked Rocky and Adrienne for Rocky Balboa, he also liked Rocky and Roxanne, " Roxy " for short. I still liked Bulldozer, so started thinking of other construction vehicle names, the father of my pups is named Mack, like Mack Truck, I had heard other Bulldogs named Tonka and loved that name too. My husband and son said no, because it sounded like a boys name. So I started to think of names that started with a "B" to go with Bulldozer. I wanted a cute , pretty name for her, I came up with Buttercup, Ladybug, Chloe, , Luna, Bella, Quinn, Zoey, and Charlotte (that one is my nieces name, so I thought my brother and his wife wouldn't appreciate that. Lol) then I thought of Blossom, we had our two B names, and it was a cute name. It suits her, we call her Awesome Blossom.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
OOh names LOL I have to start out with my very first bulldog, I had purchased her before she was even conceived and told the breeder exactly what I wanted my bulldog to look like, she had to have a brindle body and a white face and that her name was going to be Attitudee ... Long story short, never set yourself up like that LOL she was every bit the Attitude with an extra E!!!! Wowza! On to my sweet little boy ... When I got my baby boy it was because he has special needs and needed a home that would be aware of these needs and still give him all the love he deserved, what better home ... mine of course LOL when I first met him he kinda hop walked so we were going to call him Kermit because he walked like a frog but that felt wrong kinda like making fun of him so I started trying to call him different names, Tonka, Dozer, Grizzly (Griz), Bear, Tatonka (means buffalo) none of the names fit and none of them would he respond to LOL then one night I was watching a Vin Diesel movie and I called out Diesel and he looked up and came right to me, so he kinda picked his own name. With my sweet little girl, I didn't get to pick her name she came with the Molly, well her full registered name is Molly Doodles so her nickname is Doodle-bug

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Usko means faith in english...his father is Toivo, that means hope and his mother's name is Lempi and that is love, so what else could it be????

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank is what we call our guy. He was the largest in the litter and when the breeder showed us his dad's photo, my husband and both said at the same time "he's a Tank!" and our pup looked just like him so the name was always in our mind. We were actually getting him for our son, so he got to pick him and ultimately decide his name. We tried several names but Tank continued to be a top choice. We tried to find some good two-syllable names as was recommended in several dog books, but still not sure. Finally, after a week it was decided the Tank was it BUT now we needed the AKC registered name. After much thought my husband (he's half Italian) called me on his way to work and declared the first name to be Piasono, which is Italian slang for "my friend or buddy". So there ya go ~ Piasono Tank ~ my friend Tank. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
When I got Charlotte from the Humane Society she didn't have a name, but they were calling her "Betty". She had only been there a few days, so she wasn't coming when called or even recognizing the name, so I decided to change it but keep it as her "middle" name: Elizabeth.
Originally she was going to be my mom's dog, and she LOVED the name Charlotte. I wasn't a huge fan, but I thought it's her dog so she should be able to name her...Charlotte and I bonded very quickly during her foster stay with me and I couldn't let her out of my sight :), my mom understood, but by then Charlotte was aware of her name so it stuck!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
We wanted a bully that was a handful and could hold her own and when we seen her color we decided on Amber as her name.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Gracie was Gracie when she came here to rule at 3.5 yrs old. She earned the added names of Her Royal Highness, Princess Gracie.....And the whole kingdom lives happily ever after. :angelheart:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Im in LOVE with unusual names. My son has a very unique name! ... But we named our bully before we had him. A few years ago i was watching the cartoon Pocohontus with my little neice and the raccoon in there was called Meeko. I fell in love with the name and ive remembered it since and wanted to use it some how -luckily could be male or female name. Then 7weeks ago my little pup come along and no other name was a option! :-).. My previous dogs have been named Kia (alsation), Suki & Keisha (labs). In a year or so i want Meeko to have a female friend and im going to name her DIVA and im sure she will live up to her name! Xx

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is named after we eloped to Vegas 3 years ago and snuck away from our families, and my husband ask me what I wanted for a wedding gift. Now mind you, we are both in our 40's and had a wedding planned UNTIL my family wanted to take over our plans, so we got married and called them after. Lol

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig is ... well ... The Stig from Top Gear of course! My bf and I thought for days what name we like and Stiggy is practically the only one we agreed on.

We got Punkin from my bf's coworker's bf's friend (confused yet? lol), so we didn't want to change his name seeing he was almost 5yo.

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
My first... Tank was still the largest in the litter even though he had gotten parvo from the shot.
I rescues Jax my second he already had the name.
Or third Sausage, was named after a nick name we had for Jax cause he was a plump little guy. When he laid down I would say he looked like a sausage casing.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Both Giovanni and Diva were already named when we got them. Diva fits her name very well! And Gio we just couldn't change, the previous family let their 5 year old son name him so we wanted to keep it. But I did give Gio his middle name! Giovanni "Bruce Wayne" .....ya, I love batman!!

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Well we were on a wait list for a year, we had asked for a male. We know the breeder so we were invited to see the pups at 3 days old! When I held my baby boy, the only male and the runt, he looked just like a sweet little piglet. I always loved " Charlotte's Web" as a girl, and that was it: Wilbur ( and their mom is actually named Charlotte!). A few weeks later we went to visit him again, and we learned that one of the females was not spoken for. We held her and played with her, and that was it. Since I picked Wilbur's name, my guitar- playing Clapton fan BF picked hers.... Layla :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.