Introducing new bully member into the family...

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugsy, Baby (RIP), & Romeo
Good morning everyone! I don't usually post often, but if you remember one of my last posts, it was about Mugsy not being able to get along with other dogs.:*(

Yesterday, we picked up the newest member of our bulldog family. Romeo (9 months). A family friend purchased a bully from the same breeder we bought Mugsy from, and her husband is now showing signs of allergies. So, they decided to get rid of Romeo...so they contacted me and asked if I knew anyone interested in taking Romeo and giving him a good loving home. I only had one friend in mind that knew the breed, and he already has his hands full with 2 females of his own.

Not being able to find anyone to take Romeo, we decided to take him in. My Wife's mother, has had bulldogs, frenchies, and bostons all her life, so we asked if she'd take Romeo in and give him a good home.

Long story short, we picked him up yesterday and brought him to his new home. He was having a great time adjusting and not even being nervous about his new surroundings. My wife decided to attempt to introduce them in a neutral area outside. We took the advice on not showing fear or nervousness when introducing, but it still didn't work. Mugsy saw Romeo and started charging towards him as if he was going to tear him to shreds. Romeo didn't show any signs of aggression, instead just wanted to meet Mugsy and play.

Are we doing something wrong? Has anyone had a similar issue trying to introduce dogs and been successful?

-Mugsy is 3 years old, fixed.
-Romeo is 9 months, not fixed yet. (not sure if that would be an issue.)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Outside in MUGSY's yard??? or outside in neutral surroundings???? It can make a difference..... OH, and we NEED pix. ;)

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Good morning everyone! I don't usually post often, but if you remember one of my last posts, it was about Mugsy not being able to get along with other dogs.:*(

Yesterday, we picked up the newest member of our bulldog family. Romeo (9 months). A family friend purchased a bully from the same breeder we bought Mugsy from, and her husband is now showing signs of allergies. So, they decided to get rid of Romeo...so they contacted me and asked if I knew anyone interested in taking Romeo and giving him a good loving home. I only had one friend in mind that knew the breed, and he already has his hands full with 2 females of his own.

Not being able to find anyone to take Romeo, we decided to take him in. My Wife's mother, has had bulldogs, frenchies, and bostons all her life, so we asked if she'd take Romeo in and give him a good home.

Long story short, we picked him up yesterday and brought him to his new home. He was having a great time adjusting and not even being nervous about his new surroundings. My wife decided to attempt to introduce them in a neutral area outside. We took the advice on not showing fear or nervousness when introducing, but it still didn't work. Mugsy saw Romeo and started charging towards him as if he was going to tear him to shreds. Romeo didn't show any signs of aggression, instead just wanted to meet Mugsy and play.

Are we doing something wrong? Has anyone had a similar issue trying to introduce dogs and been successful?

-Mugsy is 3 years old, fixed.
-Romeo is 9 months, not fixed yet. (not sure if that would be an issue.)

Hi, just sent you a private message. Ann

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
imagejpeg_2_3.jpg Here's Romeo
DSC_0038.jpgHere's Mugsy

We had them both outside of the yard and in a completely neutral zone.

Attachments

• 20121028_132651.jpg
    20121028_132651.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 97
OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
imagejpeg_2_5.jpgimagejpeg_2_4.jpgJust took a couple more so everyone can see his markings.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You are going to have your hands full. Some dogs just hate other dogs and it takes a lot of time, patience, and I would suggest some professional help with them. So for now all you can do is keep them separated until you can work with them. The best way to start is to take them on walks together. At first it will take two people to do this. Walk with them apart and slowly bring them together. If one stars acting up, stop them and make them sit until they are calm, then start again. I have two at out house that hate each other, but at the moment I am working too much to even start working with them, but when I do, this is what we would do.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
they are both very very handsome, I only have experience with panic aggression, I hope you find a way to get the two of them together on this. David has what I believe a great teaching tool with walking them together and the action of making them sit and submit until calm.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
If you do want to work with them and you have 2 people, you can use positive reward type training. You are knealing down with the "agressive" dog (on leash), giving him tasty treats, while the other dog is being held far enough distance away that the the "agressive" dogs sees but is not negatively reacting to (however far that is you will need to determine). You are giving treats and positive messages (good puppy etc..), then dog 2 is slowly moved closer, while the aggressive dog is being "good" he continues to get treats. Once he negatively reacts you say "Uh oh", treats stop (for a time) and other dog is moved in opposite direction. Repeat a few hundred times :). The idea you are trying to impart is "other dog == great things". Good luck

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Not sure how agessive your dog is. Mimi (rip) could get aggresive. A lot of the time it is your nervousness they feel. We have babysited other bulldogs in the past. Mimi was an alpha bulldog. We would toss her and the the babysat dog in the backyard alone. They would then figure it out pretty quickly. If we tried this with us in a room usually it was too aggressive. the more alpha, usually the older dog, will roll the other dog over and all will be fine. Of course watch closely through the window to make sure things don't get out of hand. You never know.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.