New pup...HELP!!

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
So now that Tipsy is 2.5 YO, I thought to get her a brother. He came home today and boy did I forget how to work with a new pup. So I need help, I am being a neurotic dad again. He is 5 mo old and seems to be ok with Tipsy, she just ignores him a bit, no play yet. She growled at him a few times when he was sniffing her but I quickly made it known to her thy it was not okay to growl and she for the most part listened. So here are my few problems, any help would be appreciated.

1- he does not want to walk on a leash. I have to pull him. I tried to do the excited voice and the enticing with treat and worked only or a few steps.
2- he whines and whines in his crate. I let him play and roam for a bit, then in the crate. Out for food and water, drag out for potty (which he did none) and then back into crate. I may be using a bad crate, it is the same one as tipsy and she was okay with her. It's the canvas portable enclosed. Could it be to claustrophobic?
3- he seems to be ok pottying on my apartment patio on that fake grass potty tray but I really want him to potty outside.
4- I can hear grumbles in the stomach but he doesn't want to eat:(
5- Tipsy can roam free now that she is trained, do you think seeing her walking around is effecting him in the crate.

I can't remember if Tipsy was this hard... Btw, I just heard him snoring... Lets see how long this lasts.

Any advice?

neqa2era.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
No experience with puppies but wanted to welcome the little guy... he is soooooo cute.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well congrats to you!!!! What a handsome boy to go wioth your beautiful girl!!! Dont have much advice since I havent actually had a puppy but maybe keep treats in your pocket for walking? As far as the eating, I remember Cutty didnt hardly eat for like 2 days when he came to live with us. Took that long for him to settle in. Maybe try a spoonful of yogurt or cottage cheese mixed in with?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
nope im no help but wanted to say congrats on your new pup. :D im sure someone will be along soon to help.

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
I've had 2 pups the first one was 14 years ago and now I'm going through it again.
At 5 months old he has probably developed some routine that you need to change. What was his history? Why did you get him at 5 months was it a rescue?

As for getting him to potty outside, this may take time if he is use to going on the pads. You'll need to spend time on this, take him out in the yard until he does go the reward him with a treat as soon as he goes. Not when he comes back in ( he'll think he's getting rewarded for coming in). I personally would get rid of the potty pad right away.
I let sausage have the run of the house in the beginning but took him out every 20 min. He had a few accidents when I wasn't looking but was potty trained in a week.

Ive never had an issue with my boys not liking the kennel but maybe try one that is all cage that he can see everything. He might me mad that Tipsy is walking around, I know my pup whines when he hears me in the morning.

What food are you feeding him? You can try mixing in so e pain yogurt into his food he may like that and it's good for his tummy.

Good luck! It's a lot of work but I sure do love the puppy stage.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hope i can help a bit ive not long had my pup (about 6/7weeks). I did not use a crate training method and he wasnt shut in he was allowed to wander around in the living room as he wanted. To toilet train him for the first week or 2 i was putting him outside where i wanted him to toilet litrally every 15mins or so when he was awake. Straight after eating and sleeping and treated him when he sid toilet.Then gradually make the time longer. If he has a accident i would show him what he did and tell him NO sternly and then put him out where i wanted him to go.. I also sat him by the door to the garden where i wanted him to toilet and he does it when he wants to go now. He was housetrained within a week. At night time he was allowed in the room with laminate flooring and he had his bed in this room. I let him out through the night every 2/3hours to avoid accidents slowly making the time between longer. He is now dry all night without needin to be let out and has been for about 3weeks(im lucky i have a young baby so this was easy to get up. I let meeko out everytime the baby woke up!!) . .. Walking on the lead i started by attachin the lead and walkin around the housr and out the back for a few days in familiar settings before letting him out in the big scary world so he gets used to the lead first. He now wlals really well outside and it wasnt so many new things all at once. Hope this helps and ur new addition is beautiful xx

Last edited:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
P.s when meeko didnt eat at first i added chicken to his food and he demolished it and started to eat normal after about 2 feeds with chicken in xx

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
When Aubie was a pup, we took her outside every 15 to 30 minutes between eating and playing. Always right outside when taking her out of her crate. If she didn't go, we would bring her in for 5 minutes and then take her back out. We gave her loves, treats, or lots of praise when she went potty outside. We also had to take all bedding out of her crate though because she would potty on it if it was in there. She learned very quickly this way, but it did take a while for her to stop having accidents completely. The longer you have him the more you'll understand how his little body works. We figured out when Aubie is most likely to poo and how soon after she drinks she'd need to pee, and that help a lot because we could have her on a schedule that suited her. If you want him to go outside instead of on the pad, I would only let him go outside for now because you don't want to confuse him.

As for the crate... Aubie didn't whine much. Now, when we had Aubrey, she was a huge whiner at first! We covered her crate so it would be dark and just let her whine until she whined herself to sleep. We also put her in there a lot while we were home and around so she understood it was ok to be separated from us.

I never had a problem with them eating. Are you feeding the same thing he was on before? I know Aubrey was a little picky (although I think it had to do with her being sick and we didn't know it). Aubie is not picky at all. I agree with Tank1023, mix some yogurt in. It may be a good incentive for him to eat.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If you just got him in the last two day's he probably has separation anxiousness. Pick him up and bond with the little guy, he'll start to follow you every where, make yourself his best friend. He'll get over the separation and look forward to just being with you.
What are you trying to feed him? you said he wouldn't eat

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Crate training is a good thing, but I would get a wire crate, they stay cooler in them, plus I would keep water in his crate too. We never restrict water from our pups or bullies. There are water bottles that attach to the side of the crate you can use so you don't have to put a bowl in there if you don't want to. He is still trying to get used to him new environment, so it will take a few days for him to settle in. Give him plenty of attention and love. The leash training will get there, just be patient, and keep working with him. He should start eating soon, as he may just be nervous. He will stop the whining once he feels more comfortable in his surroundings, plus he sees the other bully out and wants to be with her. The potty training will get there just be patient and take him out often and plenty of praise when he goes outside. It sounds like whoever had him before you did not work with him much. All of our pups we start potty training and crate training at a very young age, and let them socialize with our big bullies too. They just love playing with the big bullies.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
walking .... now that you have 2 it's important to get them use to walking together right away, otherwise you have dogs criss-crossing & trying to go in opposite directions (funny for those watching I'm sure but frustrating as its going on) the other benefit of walking together he should be willing to follow her to make leash training a little bit easier.

potty training .... each dog is so different but I totally agree with everyone else just keep taking him out and then treat and praise for going outside

crate .... sorry no advice mine both came crate trained from the breeder ... thank goodness LOL

eating .... things are new and different which makes him confused and scared he will settle in but the chicken or yogurt should help get his attention back on the food .... I did tough love with mine, food down for 15 minutes then dishes put away because mine are on a feeding schedule and I need them to eat when its mealtime not when they think they want to, sounds harsh but it didn't take long before they realized it's best to not play around or ya go hungry til next dinner or breakfast time

oh and the question about would he feel bad if Tipsy is out and he isn't, they need to learn that just because one is out doesn't mean the other is ... when mine where young I would separate them one out one in the crate just to give them one on one time and now they just accept it though it's been a long time since I've done that

hope things start settling in, and enjoy that sweet baby boy they grow so fast!!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: does he go in the crate when your home? That might be why he's crying I never had franklin in a crate I have a older dog that teaches him a lot its so much better to have a older dog when you have a puppy Franklin learned a lot from her potty training was a breeze him chewing on stuff in the house he didn't see her doing it so he doesn't he does everything she does It's great he's such a good puppy because of her it took awhile for her to warm up to him though she would growl at him if he tried to get close she would take all his toys an lay on them an growl if he came by it was like that for about 2 weeks an now they love each other they get along really well an for walking Franklin hated to walk until I got him a harness now he walks good sometimes I still have to let out the baby voice to get him to walk but its a whole lot better with a harness an I'm sure if you put yogurt or cottage cheese on his food he will eat it right up. I wouldn't put him in a crate when your home the more he's out with you the faster he learns what is expected of him an I would take him out every hour no matter what's going on an then at night take him out right before you go to bed an then around 3 take him out again an then when you get up soon you won't have to take him out at 3 he will be able to sleep through the whole night good luck with your new baby he's very precious

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I cant help you because I'm about to pull my 8 month old puppy (just turned 8 months today) to the park to get some exercise before it starts raining!!

Congrats on a beautiful boy!! I'd definitely get a wire crate - make it really comfy with some toys. And I just realized you got him today. I think he needs some time to settle in, this is all new and exciting to him and he is a puppy so his attention is on all his new surroundings!!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
A lot of great advice here from the veterans. We are raising a puppy as well and have been through the ringer for potty training. Everyone on the forums have been uber helpful. The excited voice almost always works, even at 18 weeks. I believe you're pup is in the independent/willfull puppy stage where getting him to do your bidding (hahaha) is much much harder. Sometimes he will flat out ignore you.

Some advice from me from my experience so far. Not sure all of what you've tried, but this has worked for us...

1- he does not want to walk on a leash. I have to pull him. I tried to do the excited voice and the enticing with treat and worked only or a few steps.

Getting Remi to walk from the yard I have to drag him, carry him, up to a certain point before he finally starts walking on his own. However, if I drive him to a park, or take him to a store, he's usually jazzed to walk with me.

2- he whines and whines in his crate. I let him play and roam for a bit, then in the crate. Out for food and water, drag out for potty (which he did none) and then back into crate. I may be using a bad crate, it is the same one as tipsy and she was okay with her. It's the canvas portable enclosed. Could it be to claustrophobic?

Remi took to the crate instantly, though there are times during the day when I put him in that he's like Hey! I'm not tired! He will destroy his bedding, etc. I usually take him out once for a potty break. Then, if he keeps it up, I ignore him and he's snoozing after 5-10 minutes. It's possible you may need to introduce the new puppy gradually, shorter periods of time, and maybe feed him in there so he can start associating it with a good place. Start with the door open.

3- he seems to be ok pottying on my apartment patio on that fake grass potty tray but I really want him to potty outside.

This is a real doozy. You have to anticipate when he needs to go out, put him on a decent schedule after he eats and plays, take him outside, praise him profusely when he does go in the spot you want. We just trained Remi to ring a bell to let us know when he wants to go outside. We've found that although it can be annoying, associating outside/fun with pottytime has been helpful.

4- I can hear grumbles in the stomach but he doesn't want to eat

Are you feeding the same food he was on before you got him? Maybe it's just nerves, or it's possible he may be sick. Have you taken him for a vet checkup yet?

5- Tipsy can roam free now that she is trained, do you think seeing her walking around is effecting him in the crate.

Interesting - from a human standpoint, I'd be a little pissed, but how often are you crating him? Do you think it's not so much jealousy as feeling isolated from the rest of the family? (We crate train but only crate Remi up to 5 hours a day)

Fingers crossed for you!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.