Here's some great news - banning puppy mill dogs in pet stores!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
LA is going to ban pet stores from selling pets that come from commercial breeders - they can only sell dogs, cats and rabbits that come from rescues, shelters, etc (not sure if that is a good thing or not). If they are caught selling animals from breeder they will be fined (but only $250, which isnt enough, but they will get misdemeanor charges possibly). A couple of other cities have had this ban since earlier this year - hopefully more will follow!!! :clap2:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Thanks for sharing! I like that they will focus on shelter pets, it helps get them adopted. I know I don't like to go to shelters because I want to save them all and I can't so I just leave sad for them all :cry:

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks for sharing! I like that they will focus on shelter pets, it helps get them adopted. I know I don't like to go to shelters because I want to save them all and I can't so I just leave sad for them all :cry:

me too, there are so many in the shelters :(

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
:yes: they are trying statewide. Right now it's one city at a time, I believe over 20 have passed an ordinance similar to this.

that's what I love about CA - they are the first to jump in head first with whatever!! I miss it. I'm originally from the Bay Area :)

I think NJ is the last to do much of anything - ie, here where I live here in NJ stores are still closed on Sundays :lmaogirl:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Maybe more states will jump on this band wagon.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I think It's awesome I hope ALL the states do this then maybe we wouldn't have so many dogs in shelters

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
that's what I love about CA - they are the first to jump in head first with whatever!! I miss it. I'm originally from the Bay Area :)

I think NJ is the last to do much of anything - ie, here where I live here in NJ stores are still closed on Sundays :lmaogirl:

Did you say they r closed on Sundays?! Wow, her xmas is the only day closed!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
250 bucks is a weak fine...and who is going to police this, I wonder?

I shouldn't kvetch...at least it's a step in the right direction.

I wonder what the definition -- by law -- is of a "commercial breeder"? Too, why in the WORLD would you want to resell anything out of any "animal factory"? (I know. I know. You can't legislate morality... OR TASTE...too bad too because you should see my neighbor's yard - Oh that's another thread....)

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Did you say they r closed on Sundays?! Wow, her xmas is the only day closed!

:lmaogirl: and guess what, today is? Sunday, right before the hurricane! but the pet store is open. I have a 15% off coupon I want to use for Herman's new crate today. The grocery store, pet stores (not all of them though) and Radio Shack are open on Sundays. I get the grocery store, I get the pet store.... but I guess if our electronics have an emergency at least you have Radio Shack for support. It's a hoot.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I just saw this thread, and I think it's great. They have also recently banned all sales of dogs in pet stores here in Canada. PJs Pet Stores always sold dogs in the past, and they used to have them behind glass so people could see them. They always looked sickly, and lethargic, or they would have more than one dog in a cubicle and they would be lying in their own messes sometimes. I always felt sorry for the puppies in there, and would never have bought one of their pups. I'm sure most of the were from puppy mills, or from people who just dropped them off after having puppies. A friend of my daughters bought a Sharpei from one of their store a few years back, the puppy had been in the store for quite a long time, and she kept going in to see the dog, the price kept going down, and eventually she talked the store manager into selling her the puppy for a really reduced price. The bargain puppy ended up being really sick, which cost her a fortune in vet bills, it had horrible allergy problems to all kinds of things, it's hair fell out, she was itchy all the time, and the special food that she required ended up costing my daughters friend about $200 a month. She ended up taking the store to court, and she got her money refunded, for both the dog and her vet bills, plus she got to keep the dog, but it still costs her a lot for its food and special shampoo she needs. It's a lesson that you should never buy a pup from a pet store or other pet places, and that you need to do your research and find a reputable breeder of your chosen breed of dog, and ask all the necessary questions before buying your pup. I'm glad that the pet stores are now having to be accountable and are being banned from selling pups in their stores. It's a positive step to stopping people from selling sick, overly bred animals and from these innocent puppy mill dogs from being sold to people.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)

I'm the same way! I cannot go to shelters without bawling my eyes out and debating whether I can feed and house 30 dogs...

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
This is freakin AWESOME. I totally agree with everyone's excitement and points. I'm sure as time passes the law will become clearer and have more teeth to it.
Whoever thought of this gets brownie points in my book. We need more avenues for these shelter pets to be adopted and help these rescues, too.
Great news!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.