Do people ask you how much you paid for your bully?

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I'm not quite sure it's rude, as you can easily tell in the paper or online about how much you have to pay for a bully puppy.. but it's still an uncomfortable question. Honestly, when people ask, I tell them.. and then I know if they think I'm a nut case, cuz they look at me like this ------> :eek:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
It is funny, those that love them, want one or have one never ask, they know. But it seems that those that don't like bullies or dogs in general ask me. My boss will still make comments like: I couldn't imagine paying that much for a dog, a DOG...Well I can't imagine paying just as much to charter an off shore fishing boat and going fishing (more like vomiting) for a day for that matter!! To each his own.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I get that pretty often..."how much do those dogs run?" "How much did you pay for that one?" "Aren't those expensive?" I just say yes, they are expensive and the price of the puppy is the cheapest thing about them. It's a conversation ender and completely true!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I had alot of people at the vet's office and petsmart ask me. When i tell them he was given to me they gasp, until I add in how much he's accrued in VET BILLS!!!! lol and we have only begun

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I do kinda think it's rude. Most people are just curious though, but I still don't like it and I don't give them a straight answer either.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
It is funny, those that love them, want one or have one never ask, they know. But it seems that those that don't like bullies or dogs in general ask me. My boss will still make comments like: I couldn't imagine paying that much for a dog, a DOG...Well I can't imagine paying just as much to charter an off shore fishing boat and going fishing (more like vomiting) for a day for that matter!! To each his own.

that's so true. i only reply honestly to those that give stig the most positive attention. at least they show the same love we have for our bullie. :heart:

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I am asked all the time. Especially by some that want one. I am hesitant to give them the actual price I paid so I tell them "let's just say you pay for what you get". In other words I tell them that the vet told me you are paying for pedigree and health. I add that you have to seriously do your research because the vet bills could get insane. Than I give them a price range. I have told only a few the actual price I paid for him and I get the look :eek:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I get that pretty often..."how much do those dogs run?" "How much did you pay for that one?" "Aren't those expensive?" I just say yes, they are expensive and the price of the puppy is the cheapest thing about them. It's a conversation ender and completely true!

Since I think I am the only one in my town with a bully, I get ask ALL the time what we spent on him, I never have said, but I do say they are pricey and the up-keep is even more. Then I get in my 9 year old car, which the passenger's window will not go down because the motors broke, and drive off!! LOL :cool:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yep get asked from time to time, I dont take it as rude and I answer but then yes I do get that same gasp and look. lmao. Oh well..

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Is it rude to ask how much you paid for your pup vs how much are you charging?
When we bought Vegas, we had no idea how much the breeder wanted. She wouldn't say over the phone. We literally drove 5 hours to meet him...fell in love.....then she told us. Luckily we had the money saved up. I actually thought that was rude. What if we were expecting something less? which we were............But, we are glad we have him. We are glad we found him. He is our :heart:!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
well, if you ask while shopping around, that is different. I think she should have given you an idea, like a range between x and y based on the pup you want. Some will only give you an answer if you are a "serious" prospect. I guess she knew you were serious since you drove so far for him.

I just find it interesting that those questions are asked about a puppy, but I don't see people walking around the pet store parking lot asking how much you paid for your car! Next time I may just say "I am not sure, My accountant pays all my bills" lol, that will get them thinking.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Or, you can say "free" and leave them scratching their heads.....................or "alot............we refinaced our home for her".

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.