How often do you bathe your Bulldog, and what kind of shampoo do you use?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, my question is how often do most of you bath your Bulldogs? When my puppies were smaller and still training it seemed I was bathing them almost everyday, they would have an accident, and then roll in it, Blossom is white and loves to roll in dirt, then she looks grey. I now usually bath them once a week on Sunday, my vet says this is too much. They don't have any skin problems. I don't wash there faces under the water, I use a cloth and put soap and water on it, then wash their faces. At least two or three times a week I use unscented, sensitive skin baby wipes, which I use to clean their eyes, folds, ears, and I use them on their butts. I don't clean the butt area every time they pooh, but I do it at least once a day, or if they need it. I use Petsmarts' puppy tearless shampoo with oatmeal and chamomile , it has a baby scent, and makes them so soft, and nice smelling. I brush them after their bath with a soft brush, and they like this. Am I bathing them to much, or is once a week okay, or should I be doing it once a month?

Last edited:

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
We bathe Lulu roughly once or twice a month. Onh her last bath I took some Apple Cider vinegar (about 1 cup) and added it to a bowl of water. I then poured it over her (avoiding eyes ears butt etc). Do not rinse it off simply towel dry as usual. At 1st she smelt like ACV but after she dried up you could not smell it and OMG she is soooooooo soft now. Its been 6 days and she is still as soft as the day she got bathed.
I did this to try and relieve her itching from hives. Can not say it worked for that but it did make her very soft and has avoided her smelling like a bully!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We very seldom bath our bullies, but will wipe them down from time to time with wipes.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I bathe Charlotte monthly, but now that winter's coming I might not be bathing for a few months..

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Right now I am bathing Remi roughly weekly, or every 2 weeks. (Also on Sundays!) We often take several walks a day and, plus accidents, and we want him smelling nice and clean. Remi likes to roll around in dirt, piddle, etc. We also use earthbath grooming wipes between baths.

We recently switched shampoos and added a conditioner, (Mutt Nose U.Itchy - I highly recommend and you can find my thread on that here: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...-my-gosh-im-love-dog-shampoo-conditioner.html) His itching has completely gone away and he's showing absolutely zero skin irritation so far. I have done a lot of research and I think in some cases, back in the day, the soap was a lot harsher on a dog's skin, but obviously products have come a long way, and not so much applies anymore, in my unprofessional opinion. I had the same concern though about over bathing. I think it totally depends on the dog and its skin condition.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Doggie Spa Day ... well that's what I call bath day LOL I have a whole routine my babies go through on spa day (I aim for once a week but sometimes its every other week .. if I get lazy about it) but to start I wet them down then I apply SouthBark Blueberry Facial and let that set while I shampoo their bodies with Tomlyn Pearls Au Lait Milk Bath (it comes in Vanilla or Strawberry scent) once that is all rinsed out I apply the final touch Kelco Ultra Silk Conditioner .... I let that sit for just a few minutes while I give a little mini massage then give a complete rinse including rinsing off the blueberry facial .... they are soft and smell great!

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
We bathe spunky 1-3xs a week depending on her smell and feel when you pet her....she hasn't had any reactions or dry skin thus far, though she gets dirty easily (having white hair and all). We had been using Martha Stewart hypoallergenic sensitive skin shampoo. Seemed to work well, we also use the furminator on her ever other day......this helps a ton!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
At least once a month for mine. But if they take a swim at the beach or the pond behind my house, they get a bath before they get in the house. I make my own soap.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Ellie has managed to only get 1 bath so far since we brought her home in June. It's probably time for another one though.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I've bathed Herman once since he was 3 months (he's 8 months now) because he was very dirty. He got two medicated baths at the vet in Aug/Sept. Instead I brush him daily and I will sometimes wipe him down with Johnsons Oatmeal body wash or wipe him with his Earthbath wipes. But I find the brushing works well. I was surprised at how NOT dirty the water was when I bathed him, so I'll be sticking to monthly or even less frequently. I will probably take him to the doggie spa though because ooooowwww my back!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I bath Usko when he needs it and he hasn't needed it for months. Ofcourse I need to wash his paws when the weather is bad, but other than that I think I've washed him once this year. We use Espree natural milk and honey shampoo and Usko smells like vanilla ice cream afterwards:D Luckily Usko is not the kind to make a mess of himself, he doesn't really like to get dirty.
He get his wrinkles wiped sometimes every day and sometimes couple of times a week and bum when needed...

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
after answering I've been reading what everyone else does with their babies and I think I may be just a little over the top obsessive on bath day :-/

not only do they get their Spa Day but I wipe folds daily, use pet wipes for all over their body at least every other day, give a between bath spritz a few times a week, clean ears weekly, brush teeth weekly also Diesel's tail pocket gets regular attention or he will sit up and kinda wiggle on his butt.

Yep Yep I do believe I need to take a chill pill for the sake of my poor little babies LOL

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
My vet says once every couple weeks with an antifungal shampoo as a preventative is good. He bullies tend to have a build up of bad bacteria on their skin and this is why they have so many skin issues.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.