omg her bum STINKS tonight!!! (limping story & drug Q too)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola is farting up a storm tonite!!! she passed on breakfast and lunch and then ate a triple down plus an egg for dinner tonight and digestion is just killing me.

lola woke up today with a limp, i thought it was her front leg as it was going down when she was walking funny. SHe jumped up on big bed when she woke up and went outside ok, i was worried. Hubby said it was worse at lunch today, but realized it was really her back leg, and she would often skip a trot on it. I got home around 6pm and she is walking on it, but we're trying to keep her calm. We're headed out of town (with Lola in tow) for a calm weekend in wine country, i hope she heals quick, or we'll have to take the crate :(.

SO to keep her calm(er) so she can heal, can I give her dramamine (gravol) or benedryl? she's rawring to chase the cat and kept jumping on the couch when we cant get to her in time (to lift her). maybe she could sleep in the car better with a little O-T-C help? can anyone recommend dosage - i know 25mg/25lb dog for benedryl but i dont' remember if it made her sleepy when i gave her for the hives.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If I were you, I'd probably try to take her to the vet before heading out of town. Bullies usually have very high pain tolerances, so for her to indicate that something hurts it might be serious. I certainly don't want to worry you, but I'm a "better safe than sorry" type person. I was the same way when my children were little, especially when a weekend was near, to avoid ER visits. Hope she is better soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
i have heard of people using the benadryl to calm their dogs (and children too!), but think of the side effects first. since its an antihistamine it might dry out her eyes/nose, etc.

maybe you can try some chamomile or melatonin. or you can try the canine lullabies CD (herman loves London Bridges), but you might have to get used to playing it in the car LOL but definitely get the leg checked out first. Do you know how she hurt it?

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I would check with my vet before just giving a medication like benadryl ... a lot of vets carry an herbal product with a name something like "calm-eeze" not positive on the name but it did have calm in it, but is made for dogs. and I completely agree about bulldogs not showing pain so if you can tell it hurts it must be pretty darn painful ... a drop in vet visit before going out of town could be the best bet so you don't run into worse problems from waiting. hope all goes well!

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i called the vet but he will return my call in the morning. i don't know what she did to hurt herself, butwe can get an xray before we leave the vet tech said. Lola has been walking on it tonight with no overt issues...i hope she is better tomorrow though. even if she is xrayed..it wouldn't show soft tissue injuries. I hope at 1.5 years Lola doesn't have the patella or hip dysplasia..
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i just realized that Lola does lick her right knee a lot. at least once a day i notice. now she is licking it again tonight. i wonder if it could be her patella. [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] do you recall punkin doing this before his luxating patella was diagnosed? or was that stigmeister?
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I hope everything is ok Franklin limps sometimes to he hurt himself jumping off a pile of tan bark an now when he jumps a lot he starts to limp

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
the vet called this morning and said just to take it easy over the weekend. Since she is walking on it last night and this morning, it could have just been a strain. But we will watch her, anticipate her jumping on the couch and bed to help her up, and take her in on monday if she limps at all again. thanks for the advice everyone...i know its hard to give when you can't see what's going on :)

I think that over the winter sometime I will take her in for xrays and a palette check, she snores like god knows what, and it does take her a LONG time to catch her breath after a walk. She even has that foamy saliva they say to look for when panting (the palatte acts like an eggbeater at the back of the throat). SHE IS JUST SO CUTE, I WORRY SO MUCH!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
the vet called this morning and said just to take it easy over the weekend. Since she is walking on it last night and this morning, it could have just been a strain. But we will watch her, anticipate her jumping on the couch and bed to help her up, and take her in on monday if she limps at all again. thanks for the advice everyone...i know its hard to give when you can't see what's going on :)

I think that over the winter sometime I will take her in for xrays and a palette check, she snores like god knows what, and it does take her a LONG time to catch her breath after a walk. She even has that foamy saliva they say to look for when panting (the palatte acts like an eggbeater at the back of the throat). SHE IS JUST SO CUTE, I WORRY SO MUCH!

thanks for the update!! hope your weekend away will be great and Lola works out the kinks or limp I guess I should say without needing to go to the doctor ... have a great weekend!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Lola is farting up a storm tonite!!! she passed on breakfast and lunch and then ate a triple down plus an egg for dinner tonight and digestion is just killing me.

lola woke up today with a limp, i thought it was her front leg as it was going down when she was walking funny. SHe jumped up on big bed when she woke up and went outside ok, i was worried. Hubby said it was worse at lunch today, but realized it was really her back leg, and she would often skip a trot on it. I got home around 6pm and she is walking on it, but we're trying to keep her calm. We're headed out of town (with Lola in tow) for a calm weekend in wine country, i hope she heals quick, or we'll have to take the crate :(.

SO to keep her calm(er) so she can heal, can I give her dramamine (gravol) or benedryl? she's rawring to chase the cat and kept jumping on the couch when we cant get to her in time (to lift her). maybe she could sleep in the car better with a little O-T-C help? can anyone recommend dosage - i know 25mg/25lb dog for benedryl but i dont' remember if it made her sleepy when i gave her for the hives.

You could just share some of your wine being that you are going to wine country :p

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.