Bringing in a second bulldog - any potential problems?

bigspeck77

Feb 11, 2012
Twin Cities, MN
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
We have a 3.5 year old female English Bulldog (Zoey), and we love her to death...she's our baby. We've been talking for quite a while about getting a second bulldog, and we really want to make sure our first one is okay with it. We'd like to get another rescue bully, as that is what our first girl is, and we like the idea of helping out a dog that is a little older. Do you know of any problems we may face by adding a second Bulldog to the mix? Are there specific issues related to gender (adding a female when we already have a female)? Zoey doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body, but I want to make sure we don't bring that out in her by bringing along another dog.

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Scotty

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She should be fine, they say usually males get along better with females, but I have a male and female who hate each other and 3 other females that get along great together. They all have their moments when they may fuss but we stop it immediately and they are fine after. I would say let them meet outside then bring in the new one and you should be fine.

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
When I brought in a second bully I first made sure the "new" bully didn't have issues with other dogs. Then I had them meet on neutral ground. You don't want to have them meet in the home of Zoey, this is her territory.
I let the two play for 2 hours getting use to each other.
My guys got along great and were best friends till the end.
Good luck and welcome to the forums.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Agree, with the neutral area - even to the point of having a neutral person with the new bully, (can't have Mommy or Daddy with the 'new' thing, its MY mommy and Daddy) having them play in a park and 'check each other out' is also good, then maybe she'll say 'Hey New Bully, come over to my house, I have lots of neat toys to play with!' :) :) :) :)

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
How many meetings with the new bully would you suggest. We want to also add a new bully to our family (from rescue of course), but it makes me nervous to think that they may not get along. I wouldn't want to take the bully from rescue and then end up bringing her back. That would just add another disruption to her life.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
The rescue will have already temperament tested the bully to see if they have any issues with other dogs, cats, kids, food aggression and toy aggression. So as much as possible you will be given a good idea of what the rescue bully personality is like.

I do agree on the neutral territory .... and as to how many times ... I would see what happens with the first visit. I'd say that if they hate each other or love each other at the first meeting then that probably won't change.

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
I agree with Kazzy, tank and Jax were best buddies from the start. I took Jax home right after the meeting. He was 2 and tank was 4 at the time.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.