Bullys are too stupid, huh?

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
So I take Remi to a local park that happens to also have a dog park. He doesn't fulfill a lot of the requirements (and he doesn't have all shots until Monday) so I tend to let him socialize, but not actually take him into the actual dog area.

Today, we approached, and there were about 6 people standing around with their dogs. Remi is totally nervous, most of them are big and bark all big and deep, but eventually one of the owners who has a puppy comes to join us, and Remi instantly opens up. I meet all the people there, and eventually all of the dogs. From pitpulls to pugs, it was pretty awesome. One of the people I meet is a couple (the chick was awesome) and her boyfriend/partner, was a trainer - and IMO, kind of a douche.

Everything that comes out of his month is kind of annoying and cocky. Then he starts taking to me about how stupid bulldogs are and how he won't even train them. I tell him my bulldog is actually pretty awesome and is training well, and I think they are intelligent, they just aren't huge workers or pleasers. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, but these dogs aren't morons.

The guy keeps on talking about all these lists that say how stupid they are - top 10 stupidest dogs. And then he said, "You can't even make those dogs sit."

I was on fire!! :cursing: What kind of trainer was this guy? I learned how to make Remi sit from some random dude in a pet food supply store. It was a piece of cake and we practice sitting all the time. It's a huge part of our daily activities as I take him with me to many places.

Fuming, I take out my little treat, as I always do, and I say, "Remi -" (he's busy playing with a dog) I say again, "Remi -" (He looks back at me, and comes to me) "Remi, Sit" He totally sits right then and there!!! With 6 dogs all around him!

Do you know what the "trainer" said after that? "Well, you should be enthusiastic that your dog can sit on command."

Anyway, you can imagine I was quite proud of my little boy. You all know how hard I've been working at him, and it's nice when it starts becoming reliable.

I didn't have the heart to tell this guy that Remi can also come, lay down, eat and walk politely (plus know exactly what the harness means!!!), but it's nice to show him up a little - I'll be honest :)

Last edited:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I dont think you should be enthusiastic about a dog that can sit on command - because that's the easiest thing to do! Remi's not a moron! I would have told him he should be enthusiastic that I didnt slap him on command LOL Go little Remi!!!!! Bully's are amazing and recognize douches (another thing to be enthusiastic about) :ROFL:

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
What an idiot... I consider everyone on this forum, Inteligent well informed and super educated dog owners who would never, ever, be loving on a stupid dog. In fact in my opinion there are only stupid people not stupid dogs... :bitching: and that moron just proves my point. I am sure he was totally jealous of the fact that Remi is one gorgeous EB and smart to boot..........

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
WOW!!! I am the non confrontational type to a fault really but reading this sure fires me up! I am sure this would have been the 1 rare occasion where I tell that idiot off. My gawd what a douche! I am proud that you kept your peace of mind but I am sure there is no way I could have. What kind of trainer is this?!?! Obviously not one who knows dogs well at all cuz I have never heard of a bulldog being dumb. Lazy, stubborn, etc but never dumb. The language I would prefer isnt aloud here so i will stop now.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Obviously not one who knows dogs well at all cuz I have never heard of a bulldog being dumb. Lazy, stubborn, etc but never dumb.

this made me hit up my pal Google and sadly, EB's are considered stupid by most. I've not found a single site that lists them anywhere but the bottom. I even found this...

(copy and pasted)
"Smart doesn't mean easy," Coren says.
"A Doberman is going to get bored and destroy your sofa and Ming vase collection if you're out of the house for 8 to 10 hours a day, while an English bulldog may take 8 hours to figure out you're gone," Coren says. "You'll come home and he'll greet you and your pottery is still on the shelf."

I'm thinking the people who write these things have never spent 15 minutes alone with a bulldog. 8 hours to know I'm gone? Abby comes looking for me if I'm gone 8 SECONDS. Pottery still on the shelf? Obviously this Coren guy has never met Otis
:laugh:

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I can't stand people like that I wouldn't of been able to keep my mouth shut

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
When he said he didn't train stupid dogs "like bulldogs", you should have said, "That's funny, because I don't interact with stupid people." And walked off! YAY Remy for showing him up!

My parents adore Matilda but they think a bulldogs are dumb, too. It was fun going to their house and showing off Matilda's tricks when their 10 yr old maltese can't even be left alone for 10 seconds. HA.

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
I think years ago I saw a show that talked about how they determine how intelligent dogs are.
Well they brought a bulldog out just to prove the test was flawed. One of the tests was to put a towel on the dogs head, the faster they removed it the more points they got. The professional trainer that was defending the EB said all you did was make it dark for the EB so he can sleep better.
His point was the test didn't take into account to the personality of the breed. EB's are not high energy and could care less if someone put a towel on his head. It didn't make him stupid it just made it dark.
The Pro though out the show proved the intelligence of the breed.
No one here thinks our boys/girls are stupid, we KNOW how smart the are, they're just a bit stubborn.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
When he said he didn't train stupid dogs "like bulldogs", you should have said, "That's funny, because I don't interact with stupid people." And walked off! YAY Remy for showing him up!

My parents adore Matilda but they think a bulldogs are dumb, too. It was fun going to their house and showing off Matilda's tricks when their 10 yr old maltese can't even be left alone for 10 seconds. HA.

my husband's personal trainer was here - I think he has a toy poodle, not sure of the age. Herman LOVES the guy. Herman was sitting in front of him and we told him to ask Herman for a high five. He said "high five!", Herman gave him a high five and he was shocked! He said "and with no treat??? my dog wont do anything unless she gets a treat" The look on the guys face was priceless. Herman is smart enough to not go around high-fiving everyone, because I can tell him high five, and if he's in a treat kind of mood he'll look in my other hand and if there is no treat he gives me the stink eye. LOL

jules825m

Sep 3, 2010
Greenwood, Indiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Miss Charlie
It makes me crazy to hear people say that bulldogs are stupid!! I have had poodles,a Maltese, a lab, a boxer, & a few mutts. I have to say I think that my bulldog has been the easiest to house break, she rings a bell to go potty. Also all of her "tricks" were super easy to teach also. I think that some people are just to stupid to teach a bulldog!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Remi is not dumb, that trainer is too dumb to know how to train a bulldog, you should train him to pee on his leg next time lol, my 2 learned to sit early, I used a treat, and they would sit, now they sit when I ask them to. :2thumbs: Don't listen to him Remi, you're a smart boy

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well good for you for keeping your composure and so proud of Remi for sitting on command. I think I would have told that idiot that there are no stupid bullies, just stupid trainers.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
All of your comments have been hilarious - I probably would have told him off, but others did so for me!! They were like, if you called my dog stupid, I'd hit you upside your head! HA HA HA...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.