Bulldogs at pet stores.

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
I know most of us here would never purchase a EB at a pet store. First we know some pet stores buy from puppy mills, the bullies aren't very healthy and the price is outrageous.

I have to be honest, every time I go to the mall I have to go in and see if they have any. I noticed a local pet store had several every year so I spoke to the owner. She told me that she gets her bullies from a local breeder with a good reputation. She herself owned EB's. I asked how she justified the $4000 price tag, her response....I can get it.

One day I saw a young couple in one of the "play rooms" with a EB and they were filling out paperwork. They told me they were applying for a loan to buy the bully (didn't know that existed). So I decided to have a talk with them about the commitment it took to own a bully. Explained about insurance, shots, food, kennels etc... I think they backed out of the deal.

So was I wrong to intervene? I care about the breed and would hate to see a bully suffer cause the family wasn't prepared for the costs.

i waited till I was 30 and owned my own home before I got my first bully, wanted to make sure my boys had the best possible environment.

Perhaps you prevented a bully from going to a wonderful loving home. Dont judge a book by its cover.

Personally if someone did that to me I would tell them to go %$#@ themselves. But then again I am a A+ personality type person.

Last edited:
OP
Tank1023

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Heff, I thought of that too. I wasn't talking them out of anything, I just informed them of the possible costs associated with the breed something there were unaware of. They may still have purchased the pup ill never know.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I'm not sure of the issue here. Is it that a pet store is selling a Bulldog or the price of $4000?
I will admit that once in my life, 11 years ago, I did buy a lab from a mall pet store. She has turned out to be a great dog, she is 11 years old.
One advantage from buying from mall store is that there is a one year guarantee. I am sure that there are many breeders of every breed of dogs that will give a guarantee but if the puppy dies, what recourse does a buyer have to recover damages How many stories are there about breeders who have sold sick or defective puppies and the buyers are left with no recourse. There are PLENTY of honest breeders that DO have quality puppies, STAND behind their breeding programs and sell lots of puppies.

Regarding the price of $4000; no way to tell the quality of the puppy but the price is certainly well in line with what EBD puppies can and do sell for. Those of you who are breeders here, either sell for a profit or wish you could. Why sell for a loss? The cost to breed a bullie is about $750 if you own the stud and the female. If you have to pay for a stud fee, this can range UP TO $5000. No this is not a typo. Certainly this is the extreme end. A fair stud fee could be $1500 - $2500. Add to that the cost of the vet expenses along the way and the cost of the C-section of $1000-$1500, the investment of the litter is between $2500 - $5000. Add on the amount of time that is necessary to care for the puppies 24x7 for at least the first three weeks, and then the time and expenses up to 9 weeks (shots, vet visits $500), divided by the number of puppies, average 5 per litter.

If an average price of $2500 from a breeder is the low end, or up to $6000 - $8000 on the high end, which breeder offers financing?

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING MALL PET STORES. I ENCOURAGE RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING A BULLDOG. I ENCOURAGE ADOPTION FROM A BULLDOG RESCUE.

As for stepping in and intervening, it depends on how it is done and handled. Informing any potential buyer about the challenges of owning a Bulldog is important.

Good Day~

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think you did a good thing. You didn't tell them NOT to get a bulldog, but you did casually let them know that they are not like any other dog. So you prepared them for something that could happen. If they still get a bulldog then they do so with their eyes open.

We were stupid and naive when we got our first bulldog Maggie. We knew absolutely nothing of puppymills, and went into our local store and fell in love. So we bought her from a pet store. Now I know the truth. That a puppy mill or backyard breeder can have the paperwork to say that they are a pedigree pup but it still doesn't change the fact that they were bred in a cage and the mother is possibly still there and probably neglected.

If people don't buy from pet stores then the pet stores will stop "stocking" them, because they need to sell these pups quick whilst they are still young. To a pet store it's pure business, they want the $$$$. And THAT is why people shouldn't buy from a pet store!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Its all in how you say things. I'm from NY, so I know what you mean about uppety people from the north east. You don't need to tell someone "your dog has issues because you feed him crap", you could say "from what I know/heard, a lot of issues come from the foods we feed them. You could try switching to a higher quality food and see how he does". Then you could suggest some good brands like Fromm or whatever it is that you feed your dog. Someone would be an idiot to take offense to that type of advice.

That might be offensive too because you're telling them what to do. Probably something like "When I switched to XYZ, I noticed all those issues went away......" LOL

however, i think @Tank0123 did a good thing because.... first, if you're filling out a credit application in a pet store for a dog, its probably either an impulse buy (meaning you didnt do your research (and if you did your research you'd know not to buy it from the pet store)) and second, you probably can't afford all the costs that are going to be associated (um, how are you going to pay your new puppy supplies, vet bills and food and all if you're paying down your puppy loan?). If any one has done their research they will know then can get a bully cheaper - and can even rescue one for very low costs. If they were shocked at all you told them, then definitely they didnt do their research - just a simple google search for english bulldogs pulls up all kinds of stuff, and in all that stuff it talks about their issues!!

I probably would have gone over to them and started yapping just because I yap alot. And I probably would have made a judgement call about whether I should mention the issues, etc. IF I thought they didnt know what they were doing. Some people you can tell aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and others you can tell definitely have their all their wits about them and have their act together.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I would like to think this is just a coincidence .. but by nephew & his wife
had asked me last week for a loan of $4500..
They didn't tell me nor did I ask what it was for but he's a good young man and I know he is responsible.
Anyways ,he called me a few hours ago to tell me he no longer would be needing the loan.
:2thumbs:

so, just in case.... I want to say "Thank you " :rofl: :rofl:

Heff102

Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
That might be offensive too because you're telling them what to do. Probably something like "When I switched to XYZ, I noticed all those issues went away......" LOL

however, i think @Tank0123 did a good thing because.... first, if you're filling out a credit application in a pet store for a dog, its probably either an impulse buy (meaning you didnt do your research (and if you did your research you'd know not to buy it from the pet store)) and second, you probably can't afford all the costs that are going to be associated (um, how are you going to pay your new puppy supplies, vet bills and food and all if you're paying down your puppy loan?)
. If any one has done their research they will know then can get a bully cheaper - and can even rescue one for very low costs. If they were shocked at all you told them, then definitely they didnt do their research - just a simple google search for english bulldogs pulls up all kinds of stuff, and in all that stuff it talks about their issues!!

I probably would have gone over to them and started yapping just because I yap alot. And I probably would have made a judgement call about whether I should mention the issues, etc. IF I thought they didnt know what they were doing. Some people you can tell aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and others you can tell definitely have their all their wits about them and have their act together.

I think all of us here are guilty of doing that a few times in our life. Do I really need that new or newer vehicle? Do I really need a new boat, quad,snow machine etc etc? Will I be accepted for credit to make these purchases and can I afford to fix them if and when they breakdown?

Personally I dont think its anyones business to inform or not inform someone who is making a legit legal purchase. It is up to the respected buyers to do there homework prior to making any kind of purchase. There are thousands of un foreseen liabilities in any purchase we make. I just spent $200.00 on Lulu for something that neither I nor the breeder would of EVER been able to predict. 8 pups in the litter and so far only Lulu is showing signs of allergies.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:

Heff102

Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
I would like to think this is just a coincidence .. but by nephew & his wife
had asked me last week for a loan of $4500..
They didn't tell me nor did I ask what it was for but he's a good young man and I know he is responsible.
Anyways ,he called me a few hours ago to tell me he no longer would be needing the loan.
:2thumbs:

so, just in case.... I want to say "Thank you " :rofl: :rofl:

Would you of loaned them the money without knowing what for?

If so whats your phone number?????? LOL

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I think all of us here are guilty of doing that a few times in our life. Do I really need that new or newer vehicle? Do I really need a new boat, quad,snow machine etc etc? Will I be accepted for credit to make these purchases and can I afford to fix them if and when they breakdown?

Personally I dont think its anyones business to inform or not inform someone who is making a legit legal purchase. It is up to the respected buyers to do there homework prior to making any kind of purchase. There are thousands of un foreseen liabilities in any purchase we make. I just spent $200.00 on Lulu for something that neither I nor the breeder would of EVER been able to predict. 8 pups in the litter and so far only Lulu is showing signs of allergies.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

and yes, i get that.. but it's a dog. and what happens is a dog doesnt get repo'd or whatever, it gets abandoned, neglected, surrendered and if it needs fixing because it's sick, you cant just leave it in the garage (but I'm sure it happens).

Heff102

Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
and yes, i get that.. but it's a dog. and what happens is a dog doesnt get repo'd or whatever, it gets abandoned, neglected, surrendered and if it needs fixing because it's sick, you cant just leave it in the garage (but I'm sure it happens).

So we should just assume anyone who has to borrow money to buy a pet will be a un fit owner?

I know of a few couples who borrowed thousands of dollars to adopt a child from another country...so I should assume they are un fit parents?

All I am saying is dont be so fast to judge people.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
if it needs fixing because it's sick, you cant just leave it in the garage (but I'm sure it happens).

sadly, it does happen.

I bought Abby from people who told me their daughter was allergic. I'm pretty positive that they got rid of her because they knew she was sick and would die sooner rather than later.

I rescued Otis from people who kept him chained outside for months on end with no food or water just because he tended to not know how to behave inside. And you know what? Sometimes he STILL doesn't know how to behave inside. But that's his previous owners fault.

So we should just assume anyone who has to borrow money to buy a pet will be a un fit owner?

I know of a few couples who borrowed thousands of dollars to adopt a child from another country...so I should assume they are un fit parents?

All I am saying is dont be so fast to judge people.

Financed, paid cash or put on an Amex card, we can't assume ANYONE will be a fit owner. So maybe educating folks before they spend their money isn't such a bad idea.

Heff102

Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
sadly, it does happen.

I bought Abby from people who told me their daughter was allergic. I'm pretty positive that they got rid of her because they knew she was sick and would die sooner rather than later.

I rescued Otis from people who kept him chained outside for months on end with no food or water just because he tended to not know how to behave inside. And you know what? Sometimes he STILL doesn't know how to behave inside. But that's his previous owners fault.

Financed, paid cash or put on an Amex card, we can't assume ANYONE will be a fit owner. So maybe educating folks before they spend their money isn't such a bad idea.

I am not saying its bad to educate people on bulldog ownership. I am just saying there is a time and a place to do it. I just dont feel this situation was the time or place.

OP
Tank1023

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Heff, I get what your saying. It's not like I just jumped into their business. I started talking to them about the breed,wheni realized they didn't know anything about bullies I offered advice. They were a very young couple that seem appreciative to the advice I was giving. I didn't look down on them because they needed a loan to buy a dog, I just let them know about costs above and beyond the initial purchase price.

Heff102

Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Heff, I get what your saying. It's not like I just jumped into their business. I started talking to them about the breed,wheni realized they didn't know anything about bullies I offered advice. They were a very young couple that seem appreciative to the advice I was giving. I didn't look down on them because they needed a loan to buy a dog, I just let them know about costs above and beyond the initial purchase price.

Thanks for the clarification....I appreciate it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I personally think you did the right thing. While I might not have appreciated someone doing that to me, I might have later. If they backed out of the 'transaction' with the bully then my opinion is it was an impulse buy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.