Bulldogs at pet stores.

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
I know most of us here would never purchase a EB at a pet store. First we know some pet stores buy from puppy mills, the bullies aren't very healthy and the price is outrageous.

I have to be honest, every time I go to the mall I have to go in and see if they have any. I noticed a local pet store had several every year so I spoke to the owner. She told me that she gets her bullies from a local breeder with a good reputation. She herself owned EB's. I asked how she justified the $4000 price tag, her response....I can get it.

One day I saw a young couple in one of the "play rooms" with a EB and they were filling out paperwork. They told me they were applying for a loan to buy the bully (didn't know that existed). So I decided to have a talk with them about the commitment it took to own a bully. Explained about insurance, shots, food, kennels etc... I think they backed out of the deal.

So was I wrong to intervene? I care about the breed and would hate to see a bully suffer cause the family wasn't prepared for the costs.

i waited till I was 30 and owned my own home before I got my first bully, wanted to make sure my boys had the best possible environment.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am not one to all to strangers so I am sure I wouldn't do that But I think you did right. Saved them from blowing money they didn't have on a pup they may have surrendered later.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I probably would have done the same thing. An I'm sure it was a split decision they seen how cute he was an wanted him as soon as they seen him without thinking so I'm sure you saved the puppy in the long run I hope he went to a good family though

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
I waited till I was 30 and into my career, and knew I could afford to take Hoss to the vet whenever he needed it.

Now that Hoss is gone (RIP my big boy) and I have Roxy, I am WAY more prepared for the work and the cost. Plus being in a loving relationship with a dog lover (and now a BULLY LOVER) makes us a doting mom and dad.

Though sometimes I wonder if we spoil her a little too much... :p

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I think you did a GOOD THANG...you educated them! Whether or not they went ahead
w/the loan or (hopefully) backed out of doing it, they made their own decision, not you.

Whenever I'm out n about w/Brutus and the subject comes up, "Should I get a bully?"
then I educate...my groomer at Petsmart asked me (she wants to be a Vet) and I told
her all about them too, then she asked about getting a Frenchie, same problems there!

I also educate about FOSTERING and REHOMING, both a way to own a Bully w/out so much
expense other than the VET BILLS!!!...and testing your level of WANT & COMMITTMENT.

Also, saving a Bully life :) Hugs & Kisses for you for stepping up to the plate! Texas Carol

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Wow.. Here in UK -WALES they dont sell dogs cats etc in any sort of stores. Our pet stores sell only fish.. Rabbits hamsters and thats about it x

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I think you did a good thing by informing them about all that owning a bully entails. You may have saved a bully from ending up on a shelter or rescue! When I see/hear people talk about buying bullies (whether from a breeder or a pet store) I always inform them about the rescue that I got Jackson from and give them information on how to get a rescue bully.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I agree that you did a good thing by educating them, personally I wouldn't have done it just because I would be unsure of how it would be received by the other person. Perfect example we met another bully owner at the local town fall festival and they were talking non stop about skin issues, eye issues. Needless to say the feed the dog crappy food and that is why they have the issues, but it was a big dude and I didn't want to be like. "Oh well if you didn't feed your dog crappy food you wouldn't have these issues" People can get really defensive really quick, especially if they are upiddy people in North Jersey so I tend to keep my opinions to myself.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
her in Australia they dont have EBD in pet shops they are not a real common dog here and the breeders range from all prices I had a look at one litter that were selling for $1700.00 AUD and I am sure they were not pure breed I asked for some kind of paperwork but No they did not have anything so my maybe I was correct they were not pure breed, when I got Ftse there were only about 4 or breeders at the time advertising litters and they were all around the $4000,00 and I think that is the average price here but myself I would not buy from a pet store I like to see the background and the parents and know the history before I decide.
I feel I made the right decision when I chose Ftse but then I would not buy unless I could affored all for his needs vets and all health isssues etc but the sad thing is people see a loveable little puppie and they think that is where the cost ends and then when health issues come up this is where the problem starts they either dont do it or dump the pet or the pet suffers badly so you probably did the right thing in telling them all this good on you, I myself could not tell a stranger thou

OP
Tank1023

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
I agree that you did a good thing by educating them, personally I wouldn't have done it just because I would be unsure of how it would be received by the other person. Perfect example we met another bully owner at the local town fall festival and they were talking non stop about skin issues, eye issues. Needless to say the feed the dog crappy food and that is why they have the issues, but it was a big dude and I didn't want to be like. "Oh well if you didn't feed your dog crappy food you wouldn't have these issues" People can get really defensive really quick, especially if they are upiddy people in North Jersey so I tend to keep my opinions to myself.

Im from Philly originally so I think that's where I get my gift of gab. I'll talk to anyone about anything. Sometimes when I'm in a public place like the DMV, I'll see how many people in a group I can get talking to each other. In laid back Colorado some people don't know what to make of me. :confused:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Im from Philly originally so I think that's where I get my gift of gab. I'll talk to anyone about anything. Sometimes when I'm in a public place like the DMV, I'll see how many people in a group I can get talking to each other. In laid back Colorado some people don't know what to make of me. :confused:

That makes sense, if I was in CO I would be more apt to talk to people as well being that they are less angry compared to people around here.

M

mabel lou

I think it is a good idea to always have a pamphlet handy that says a ton of things about EBDs and rather than talking to that person one could always say this" I have a PAMPHLET here that I would like to share with you about downfalls of an EBD and all the many many medical issues that sometimes come with this breed. I also think the flip side to this would be to also share the wonderful joy they do bring to ones life. Bringing awareness to the puppys history as far as Sire and Dam and even furthur back if possible would be a great thing to do, It allows them to see where their puppy is coming from. All it is just some great information being passed on to a possible buyer of an EBD. And if anything it will give them something to read and who knows it may also make them more aware of the research they should do and all the many ?s they should ask the person. Just how I see it is all.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I have very mixed feelings about pets in stores. On the one hand, we all know that buying from them does nothing but support the puppy mill business and damages the breed.

But then, I see the sweet face behind the bars and if nobody buys him, he will live out his years with no one to love him. If he or she is sick or if something in him is broken he will never have the chance to be happy, even if for a little while. The puppy shouldn't pay for the crimes of the breeder.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Its all in how you say things. I'm from NY, so I know what you mean about uppety people from the north east. You don't need to tell someone "your dog has issues because you feed him crap", you could say "from what I know/heard, a lot of issues come from the foods we feed them. You could try switching to a higher quality food and see how he does". Then you could suggest some good brands like Fromm or whatever it is that you feed your dog. Someone would be an idiot to take offense to that type of advice.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Its all in how you say things. I'm from NY, so I know what you mean about uppety people from the north east. You don't need to tell someone "your dog has issues because you feed him crap", you could say "from what I know/heard, a lot of issues come from the foods we feed them. You could try switching to a higher quality food and see how he does". Then you could suggest some good brands like Fromm or whatever it is that you feed your dog. Someone would be an idiot to take offense to that type of advice.

I know I wouldn't have said it like that, but you know what I'm saying regarding people getting defensive especially when talking to a stranger on the street.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.