I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Philippe
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

Quote Originally Posted by elearn View Post
    and yes, i get that.. but it's a dog. and what happens is a dog doesnt get repo'd or whatever, it gets abandoned, neglected, surrendered and if it needs fixing because it's sick, you cant just leave it in the garage (but I'm sure it happens).
    So we should just assume anyone who has to borrow money to buy a pet will be a un fit owner?

I know of a few couples who borrowed thousands of dollars to adopt a child from another country...so I should assume they are un fit parents?

All I am saying is dont be so fast to judge people.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elearn View Post
    if it needs fixing because it's sick, you cant just leave it in the garage (but I'm sure it happens).

sadly, it does happen.

I bought Abby from people who told me their daughter was allergic. I'm pretty positive that they got rid of her because they knew she was sick and would die sooner rather than later.

I rescued Otis from people who kept him chained outside for months on end with no food or water just because he tended to not know how to behave inside. And you know what? Sometimes he STILL doesn't know how to behave inside. But that's his previous owners fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Heff102 View Post
    So we should just assume anyone who has to borrow money to buy a pet will be a un fit owner?

I know of a few couples who borrowed thousands of dollars to adopt a child from another country...so I should assume they are un fit parents?

All I am saying is dont be so fast to judge people.

Financed, paid cash or put on an Amex card, we can't assume ANYONE will be a fit owner. So maybe educating folks before they spend their money isn't such a bad idea.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Philippe
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    sadly, it does happen.

I bought Abby from people who told me their daughter was allergic. I'm pretty positive that they got rid of her because they knew she was sick and would die sooner rather than later.

I rescued Otis from people who kept him chained outside for months on end with no food or water just because he tended to not know how to behave inside. And you know what? Sometimes he STILL doesn't know how to behave inside. But that's his previous owners fault.

Financed, paid cash or put on an Amex card, we can't assume ANYONE will be a fit owner. So maybe educating folks before they spend their money isn't such a bad idea.

I am not saying its bad to educate people on bulldog ownership. I am just saying there is a time and a place to do it. I just dont feel this situation was the time or place.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sausage
    Likes (Received)

Heff, I get what your saying. It's not like I just jumped into their business. I started talking to them about the breed,wheni realized they didn't know anything about bullies I offered advice. They were a very young couple that seem appreciative to the advice I was giving. I didn't look down on them because they needed a loan to buy a dog, I just let them know about costs above and beyond the initial purchase price.
    My boys are playing in Heaven
    Jax on the left Tank on the right

Real Name
    Philippe
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tank1023 View Post
    Heff, I get what your saying. It's not like I just jumped into their business. I started talking to them about the breed,wheni realized they didn't know anything about bullies I offered advice. They were a very young couple that seem appreciative to the advice I was giving. I didn't look down on them because they needed a loan to buy a dog, I just let them know about costs above and beyond the initial purchase price.
    Thanks for the clarification....I appreciate it.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

I personally think you did the right thing. While I might not have appreciated someone doing that to me, I might have later. If they backed out of the 'transaction' with the bully then my opinion is it was an impulse buy.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Tank1023 - I'm a firm believer in sharing bulldog knowledge to those who are thinking of getting one ... especially from a pet store!!! No matter what, every time I go to the pet stores with my babies people always tell me they have always wanted a bulldog so I use that moment to explain all that is involved in owning bulldogs a lot of the time they will say wow I had no idea it took so much work ... I believe that is just a bulldog saved from the wrong home!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Real Name
    Philippe
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    @Tank1023 - I'm a firm believer in sharing bulldog knowledge to those who are thinking of getting one ... especially from a pet store!!! No matter what, every time I go to the pet stores with my babies people always tell me they have always wanted a bulldog so I use that moment to explain all that is involved in owning bulldogs a lot of the time they will say wow I had no idea it took so much work ... I believe that is just a bulldog saved from the wrong home!
    We used to have an American Staffordshire....she was allot more work then our Bullys have ever been.

Just saying.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heff102 View Post
    We used to have an American Staffordshire....she was allot more work then our Bullys have ever been.

Just saying.
    I didn't mean that they were a lot of work in a bad way its just that people who don't know the breed or haven't done any research on them and just want them because "they are so cool" don't realize you have to clean their face folds daily if they have a tight tail pocket you have to get in and clean that too its just for the most part like having a toddler and I just want people to know they need special care before they blindly jump in and get a bulldog. but I honestly didn't mean it in a bad way
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Real Name
    Philippe
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    I didn't mean that they were a lot of work in a bad way its just that people who don't know the breed or haven't done any research on them and just want them because "they are so cool" don't realize you have to clean their face folds daily if they have a tight tail pocket you have to get in and clean that too its just for the most part like having a toddler and I just want people to know they need special care before they blindly jump in and get a bulldog. but I honestly didn't mean it in a bad way
    My point being every breed of animal requires its own "special" cares and needs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads