Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 34

Thread: Bulldogs at pet stores.

  1. #13
    My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Twice's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bev
    Location
    Woodbridge Township, NJ
    Posts
    2,711
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    I have very mixed feelings about pets in stores. On the one hand, we all know that buying from them does nothing but support the puppy mill business and damages the breed.

    But then, I see the sweet face behind the bars and if nobody buys him, he will live out his years with no one to love him. If he or she is sick or if something in him is broken he will never have the chance to be happy, even if for a little while. The puppy shouldn't pay for the crimes of the breeder.

    For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012


    Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

  2. #14
    Pet Sitter LoveMyBully82's Avatar
    Location
    Houston, Texas, United States
    Posts
    320
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    I agree that you did a good thing by educating them, personally I wouldn't have done it just because I would be unsure of how it would be received by the other person. Perfect example we met another bully owner at the local town fall festival and they were talking non stop about skin issues, eye issues. Needless to say the feed the dog crappy food and that is why they have the issues, but it was a big dude and I didn't want to be like. "Oh well if you didn't feed your dog crappy food you wouldn't have these issues" People can get really defensive really quick, especially if they are upiddy people in North Jersey so I tend to keep my opinions to myself.
    Its all in how you say things. I'm from NY, so I know what you mean about uppety people from the north east. You don't need to tell someone "your dog has issues because you feed him crap", you could say "from what I know/heard, a lot of issues come from the foods we feed them. You could try switching to a higher quality food and see how he does". Then you could suggest some good brands like Fromm or whatever it is that you feed your dog. Someone would be an idiot to take offense to that type of advice.

  3. #15
    .........
    Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    2,981
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyBully82 View Post
    Its all in how you say things. I'm from NY, so I know what you mean about uppety people from the north east. You don't need to tell someone "your dog has issues because you feed him crap", you could say "from what I know/heard, a lot of issues come from the foods we feed them. You could try switching to a higher quality food and see how he does". Then you could suggest some good brands like Fromm or whatever it is that you feed your dog. Someone would be an idiot to take offense to that type of advice.
    I know I wouldn't have said it like that, but you know what I'm saying regarding people getting defensive especially when talking to a stranger on the street.

  4. #16
    I will show you my thingy if you show me yours! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Heff102's Avatar
    Real Name
    Philippe
    Location
    Humboldt, SK
    Posts
    543
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank1023 View Post
    I know most of us here would never purchase a EB at a pet store. First we know some pet stores buy from puppy mills, the bullies aren't very healthy and the price is outrageous.

    I have to be honest, every time I go to the mall I have to go in and see if they have any. I noticed a local pet store had several every year so I spoke to the owner. She told me that she gets her bullies from a local breeder with a good reputation. She herself owned EB's. I asked how she justified the $4000 price tag, her response....I can get it.

    One day I saw a young couple in one of the "play rooms" with a EB and they were filling out paperwork. They told me they were applying for a loan to buy the bully (didn't know that existed). So I decided to have a talk with them about the commitment it took to own a bully. Explained about insurance, shots, food, kennels etc... I think they backed out of the deal.

    So was I wrong to intervene? I care about the breed and would hate to see a bully suffer cause the family wasn't prepared for the costs.

    i waited till I was 30 and owned my own home before I got my first bully, wanted to make sure my boys had the best possible environment.
    Perhaps you prevented a bully from going to a wonderful loving home. Dont judge a book by its cover.

    Personally if someone did that to me I would tell them to go %$#@ themselves. But then again I am a A+ personality type person.
    Last edited by Heff102; 10-24-2012 at 11:55 AM.

  5. #17
    Bulldog Walker Tank1023's Avatar
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    295
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sausage
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    Heff, I thought of that too. I wasn't talking them out of anything, I just informed them of the possible costs associated with the breed something there were unaware of. They may still have purchased the pup ill never know.
    My boys are playing in Heaven
    Jax on the left Tank on the right



  6. #18
    Feed Store Operator
    Location
    Phx, Az.
    Posts
    732
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    Hello,

    I'm not sure of the issue here. Is it that a pet store is selling a Bulldog or the price of $4000?
    I will admit that once in my life, 11 years ago, I did buy a lab from a mall pet store. She has turned out to be a great dog, she is 11 years old.
    One advantage from buying from mall store is that there is a one year guarantee. I am sure that there are many breeders of every breed of dogs that will give a guarantee but if the puppy dies, what recourse does a buyer have to recover damages How many stories are there about breeders who have sold sick or defective puppies and the buyers are left with no recourse. There are PLENTY of honest breeders that DO have quality puppies, STAND behind their breeding programs and sell lots of puppies.

    Regarding the price of $4000; no way to tell the quality of the puppy but the price is certainly well in line with what EBD puppies can and do sell for. Those of you who are breeders here, either sell for a profit or wish you could. Why sell for a loss? The cost to breed a bullie is about $750 if you own the stud and the female. If you have to pay for a stud fee, this can range UP TO $5000. No this is not a typo. Certainly this is the extreme end. A fair stud fee could be $1500 - $2500. Add to that the cost of the vet expenses along the way and the cost of the C-section of $1000-$1500, the investment of the litter is between $2500 - $5000. Add on the amount of time that is necessary to care for the puppies 24x7 for at least the first three weeks, and then the time and expenses up to 9 weeks (shots, vet visits $500), divided by the number of puppies, average 5 per litter.

    If an average price of $2500 from a breeder is the low end, or up to $6000 - $8000 on the high end, which breeder offers financing?

    I AM NOT RECOMMENDING MALL PET STORES. I ENCOURAGE RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING A BULLDOG. I ENCOURAGE ADOPTION FROM A BULLDOG RESCUE.

    As for stepping in and intervening, it depends on how it is done and handled. Informing any potential buyer about the challenges of owning a Bulldog is important.

    Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

    "Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

  7. #19
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    I think you did a good thing. You didn't tell them NOT to get a bulldog, but you did casually let them know that they are not like any other dog. So you prepared them for something that could happen. If they still get a bulldog then they do so with their eyes open.

    We were stupid and naive when we got our first bulldog Maggie. We knew absolutely nothing of puppymills, and went into our local store and fell in love. So we bought her from a pet store. Now I know the truth. That a puppy mill or backyard breeder can have the paperwork to say that they are a pedigree pup but it still doesn't change the fact that they were bred in a cage and the mother is possibly still there and probably neglected.

    If people don't buy from pet stores then the pet stores will stop "stocking" them, because they need to sell these pups quick whilst they are still young. To a pet store it's pure business, they want the $$$$. And THAT is why people shouldn't buy from a pet store!

  8. #20
    Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    elearn's Avatar
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,209
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyBully82 View Post
    Its all in how you say things. I'm from NY, so I know what you mean about uppety people from the north east. You don't need to tell someone "your dog has issues because you feed him crap", you could say "from what I know/heard, a lot of issues come from the foods we feed them. You could try switching to a higher quality food and see how he does". Then you could suggest some good brands like Fromm or whatever it is that you feed your dog. Someone would be an idiot to take offense to that type of advice.

    That might be offensive too because you're telling them what to do. Probably something like "When I switched to XYZ, I noticed all those issues went away......" LOL



    however, i think @Tank0123 did a good thing because.... first, if you're filling out a credit application in a pet store for a dog, its probably either an impulse buy (meaning you didnt do your research (and if you did your research you'd know not to buy it from the pet store)) and second, you probably can't afford all the costs that are going to be associated (um, how are you going to pay your new puppy supplies, vet bills and food and all if you're paying down your puppy loan?). If any one has done their research they will know then can get a bully cheaper - and can even rescue one for very low costs. If they were shocked at all you told them, then definitely they didnt do their research - just a simple google search for english bulldogs pulls up all kinds of stuff, and in all that stuff it talks about their issues!!

    I probably would have gone over to them and started yapping just because I yap alot. And I probably would have made a judgement call about whether I should mention the issues, etc. IF I thought they didnt know what they were doing. Some people you can tell aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and others you can tell definitely have their all their wits about them and have their act together.

  9. #21
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Jack Daniels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Location
    Miami Florida
    Posts
    1,045
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    I would like to think this is just a coincidence .. but by nephew & his wife
    had asked me last week for a loan of $4500..
    They didn't tell me nor did I ask what it was for but he's a good young man and I know he is responsible.
    Anyways ,he called me a few hours ago to tell me he no longer would be needing the loan.



    so, just in case.... I want to say "Thank you "
    -jack-jpg

  10. #22
    I will show you my thingy if you show me yours! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Heff102's Avatar
    Real Name
    Philippe
    Location
    Humboldt, SK
    Posts
    543
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    Quote Originally Posted by elearn View Post
    That might be offensive too because you're telling them what to do. Probably something like "When I switched to XYZ, I noticed all those issues went away......" LOL



    however, i think @Tank0123 did a good thing because.... first, if you're filling out a credit application in a pet store for a dog, its probably either an impulse buy (meaning you didnt do your research (and if you did your research you'd know not to buy it from the pet store)) and second, you probably can't afford all the costs that are going to be associated (um, how are you going to pay your new puppy supplies, vet bills and food and all if you're paying down your puppy loan?)
    . If any one has done their research they will know then can get a bully cheaper - and can even rescue one for very low costs. If they were shocked at all you told them, then definitely they didnt do their research - just a simple google search for english bulldogs pulls up all kinds of stuff, and in all that stuff it talks about their issues!!

    I probably would have gone over to them and started yapping just because I yap alot. And I probably would have made a judgement call about whether I should mention the issues, etc. IF I thought they didnt know what they were doing. Some people you can tell aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and others you can tell definitely have their all their wits about them and have their act together.
    I think all of us here are guilty of doing that a few times in our life. Do I really need that new or newer vehicle? Do I really need a new boat, quad,snow machine etc etc? Will I be accepted for credit to make these purchases and can I afford to fix them if and when they breakdown?

    Personally I dont think its anyones business to inform or not inform someone who is making a legit legal purchase. It is up to the respected buyers to do there homework prior to making any kind of purchase. There are thousands of un foreseen liabilities in any purchase we make. I just spent $200.00 on Lulu for something that neither I nor the breeder would of EVER been able to predict. 8 pups in the litter and so far only Lulu is showing signs of allergies.

    Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
    Last edited by Heff102; 10-24-2012 at 04:33 PM.

  11. #23
    I will show you my thingy if you show me yours! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Heff102's Avatar
    Real Name
    Philippe
    Location
    Humboldt, SK
    Posts
    543
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    I would like to think this is just a coincidence .. but by nephew & his wife
    had asked me last week for a loan of $4500..
    They didn't tell me nor did I ask what it was for but he's a good young man and I know he is responsible.
    Anyways ,he called me a few hours ago to tell me he no longer would be needing the loan.



    so, just in case.... I want to say "Thank you "
    Would you of loaned them the money without knowing what for?

    If so whats your phone number?????? LOL

  12. #24
    Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    elearn's Avatar
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,209
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Bulldogs at pet stores.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heff102 View Post
    I think all of us here are guilty of doing that a few times in our life. Do I really need that new or newer vehicle? Do I really need a new boat, quad,snow machine etc etc? Will I be accepted for credit to make these purchases and can I afford to fix them if and when they breakdown?

    Personally I dont think its anyones business to inform or not inform someone who is making a legit legal purchase. It is up to the respected buyers to do there homework prior to making any kind of purchase. There are thousands of un foreseen liabilities in any purchase we make. I just spent $200.00 on Lulu for something that neither I nor the breeder would of EVER been able to predict. 8 pups in the litter and so far only Lulu is showing signs of allergies.

    Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
    and yes, i get that.. but it's a dog. and what happens is a dog doesnt get repo'd or whatever, it gets abandoned, neglected, surrendered and if it needs fixing because it's sick, you cant just leave it in the garage (but I'm sure it happens).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •