Motley got nasal spray vaccine, argh!

stephayne

Sep 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Motley
So my hubby took Motley for her 3 month check up and shots and I did not think to inform him that she could not get the nasal spray. We checked and asked the vet if they are familiar with bullies and were told yes, well obviously NOT! We live in Texas and I am worried she may get sick, what do I need to be watching for, I am so worried and frustrated with this vet, could not take it out on hubby, he had no idea and of course is concerned too. do I need to be super worried and am I overreacting?
Thanks

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Which vaccine did he receive nasal? All you do is watch him for any unusual symptoms! It may not effect him at all!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry I'm not familiar with that vaccine. My vet never mentioned that one, they got all puppy series vaccines, at 8 , 12, and 16 weeks, as well as leptovirus, and rabies. I haven't heard of the nasal one.

Last edited:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I think if you just keep watching her for cold-like symptoms you will be fine.

She's referring to the Bortadella (Kennel Cough) vaccine I believe. It's optional, unless you'll boarding/showing/leaving your baby at day care, etc. EBDs can get pneumonia or such getting the intranasal form so just keep an eye on her - cold symptoms, etc.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Just watch for a runny nose (more than usual) or if it is anything other than clear. My pup did get the nasal bordatello and did get a nasty upper respiratory infection with nasty green snot, crouppy cough and just feeling really bad! It came on within 2-3 days of the meds. Not all bullies have this result and hopefully your's will be fine, too! It's good that you are aware of the possible problem. If I'd known more, I might have been able to lessen the illness, but he was good after a dose of antibiotics so all is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Its Bortadella vaccine. The nasal spray is often given to pups and even adults for immediate protection. But there have been problems with Bully's and their short noses.

Thanks for that it good to know if I ever come across it not to have it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As others have said just watch for signs of congestion as they can get pneumonia from it. There are a lot of bullies that get it nasally with no problems, but there are some that do develop pneumonia, so just keep an eye on her for about a week.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I did not give Zeus the Bordetella vaccine after I almost lost my 3 lb Yorkie from the nasal vaccine. After 6 weeks, we were able to get him back to normal, but I think his issue was they gave him a full dosage and did not take his weight into consideration. If he made it through, I am sure your English bulldog will be fine. All I can say is pay attention for any unusual symptoms.

OP
S

stephayne

Sep 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Motley
Thanks everyone, I knew you all would understand. So far, tonight she seems her normal self, nothing out of the ordinary, sleeping a little more but that is to be expected, will keep you posted if anything changes

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy had the nasal too and had no problems with it, her vet is very specialized on bulldogs and he told me she would be okay

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Everybody except Sebastian get the nasal bordatella in my house! My vet is bulldog savvy and Remy and Oliver have had no problems with theirs but like everyone said just keep an eye on her.

OP
S

stephayne

Sep 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Motley
So far so good this morning, she is acting like her normal self, keeping fingers crossed, thanks again

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online