My baby fell out of the car :( should I be concerned?

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Something like this happened to me, except it was the 4th step up, and he fell through the open stairs to the hardwood floor below. I was terrified, but the pooch totally got up and walking again like nothing happened. I didn't take him to the vet, but if he had shown any signs of pain, I definitely would have.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
My hubby is Zeus's primary care giver and I think he talks to our vet on a weekly basis!! He and Zeus have to visit the clinic on a regular basis so Zeus will know the vet in case he gets sick (or so he thinks)! LOL The vet has given him his cell phone because he does not take after hours calls usually. He is so good with my babies and took care of my other bully 10 years ago. Zeus thinks he is family!! My bank account knows he is not!!! Ha!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I can only imagine how upset you were. Don't be so tough on yourself. Good parents make mistakes, too. Just chalk it up as lessons learned! You've had good advice and you're obviously very observant, but listen to your gut and if anything seems to be even slightly off, don't hesitate to have her checked. The good and bad things about bullies is that they are tough. Because they are so tough they have a high pain threshold and do not always register that they are hurt. So just be aware. Next - get a seal belt restraint. I got mine from PetSmart for about $13.00. I hesitated on making this purchased until some woman walked out in front of me in the grocery store parking lot. I was going no more than 5mph but had to brake hard enough that my boy got tossed to the floor. He was fine, but what IF I had been going faster? My Learned Lesson :) Just to confirm a restraint should only be attached to a good fitting harness - NEVER to a collar. Now go give your sweet baby lots of hugs and kisses :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: poor baby hope she's ok Franklin climbed on top of a pile of tan bark an tried to jump on grace's back an missed he limped for about 2 weeks an the vet said it wasn't broke just sprained an now everytime he plays hard he limps it sucks I just hope it goes away as he gets older

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I called the daycare mid afternoon and they me she was happy, not limping and playing with other puppies. Her daycare is for small dogs only (up to 25 lbs) so I knew no big dog would bother her. I picked her up at 7pm and she seems good, I massaged her body to make sure she had no pain. Lesson learned today...... Thank you all for the support, I was very upset when it happened and I am a very protective mom!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Poor Izzy!!!

I'm sure she is fine, bullies are VERY tough puppies. Tilly bangs her head on absolutely everything - it really used to freak me out, she NEVER cries out in pain for anything, and she is always fine.

Just ask your vet to double check her next time you go (she's the same age as my bully, and we practically live at the vet for all the vaccines they get!).

As for car safety, I have this for my baby (as well as the matching harness):
http://www.petco.com/product/112434/Petco-Premium-Seat-Belt-Harness.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
http://www.petco.com/product/112437/Petco-Premium-Dog-Seat-Belt-Extension.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

It has been WONDERFUL. Matilda used to sit in my lap, but she got VERY squirmy and VERY big VERY quickly - it just wasn't safe for either of us. The passenger side was awful as well, because she's pull on my E Brake and I just couldn't stop worrying about what would happen if we got into an accident - she'd go straight through the windshield. And letting her just in the back wasn't good either. I'd check back there every 4 seconds because I was so worried about what she was doing. Finally, one day I heard a yelp and just about wrecked the car when I turned around... Tilly got STUCK, butt-up in between the front and back seat! It was hilarious but awful. She was like a little wedged sausage.

Thus, I bought the seatbelt. I tried just the harness portion, and while it was effective in safety, Matilda got tangled super easily, since it latches them to the seatbelt with no breathing room. At one point, one of her hind legs was stuck in the air! So, MAKE SURE you buy the extension. Even if you choose just to use a regular harness and not the padded one, the extension is the best.

Now, she is able to sit/lay comfortably in the back, look out the window, and if I stop short, open the doors, etc., I know she is perfectly strapped in and safe. I mean really, you wouldn't toss an infant in the backseat and hope for the best, and you shouldn't do it to your puppy for the exact same reason.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
image.jpgimage.jpg
Pictures of Izzy today, one taken at the day care and given to me when I picked her up and the first pic I just took of her sleeping with Ham's shoes as a pillow!

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Poor Izzy!!!

I'm sure she is fine, bullies are VERY tough puppies. Tilly bangs her head on absolutely everything - it really used to freak me out, she NEVER cries out in pain for anything, and she is always fine.

Just ask your vet to double check her next time you go (she's the same age as my bully, and we practically live at the vet for all the vaccines they get!).

As for car safety, I have this for my baby (as well as the matching harness):
http://www.petco.com/product/112434/Petco-Premium-Seat-Belt-Harness.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
http://www.petco.com/product/112437/Petco-Premium-Dog-Seat-Belt-Extension.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

It has been WONDERFUL. Matilda used to sit in my lap, but she got VERY squirmy and VERY big VERY quickly - it just wasn't safe for either of us. The passenger side was awful as well, because she's pull on my E Brake and I just couldn't stop worrying about what would happen if we got into an accident - she'd go straight through the windshield. And letting her just in the back wasn't good either. I'd check back there every 4 seconds because I was so worried about what she was doing. Finally, one day I heard a yelp and just about wrecked the car when I turned around... Tilly got STUCK, butt-up in between the front and back seat! It was hilarious but awful. She was like a little wedged sausage.

Thus, I bought the seatbelt. I tried just the harness portion, and while it was effective in safety, Matilda got tangled super easily, since it latches them to the seatbelt with no breathing room. At one point, one of her hind legs was stuck in the air! So, MAKE SURE you buy the extension. Even if you choose just to use a regular harness and not the padded one, the extension is the best.

Now, she is able to sit/lay comfortably in the back, look out the window, and if I stop short, open the doors, etc., I know she is perfectly strapped in and safe. I mean really, you wouldn't toss an infant in the backseat and hope for the best, and you shouldn't do it to your puppy for the exact same reason.

Absolutely, I'm going to Petco/pet smart to get her the proper seatbelt, specially driving around Houston. Baby is passed out sleeping, just took a picture of her and posted here. Thank you all!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I will keep you all updated, I stayed with her for 15 minutes until she was fine and walking normal. I touched her paw and she didnt give any sign that she was still in pain. But I am feeling pretty bad to have something bad happening to my little girl. She is tough and usually runs into walls and furniture when playing in the house so hopefully she is okay but I am keeping an eye on her and I already have her vet appointment this week for a shot and I might ask him to do a full check up on her.

I dont know if I will ever be ready to be a mother (of a human baby!) I am going to be the MOST paranoic mother ever!!!!

Hi there! Hope your baby is doing fine. We all make mistakes and things happen that we kick ourselves about all the time. First off....here is a link to a great seatbelt harness
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...110-easy-rider-seat-belt-walking-harness.html

2nd...a little story. Vegas sleeps on our bed everynight. He needs help getting up and getting down. We had our bed before we had Vegas...and I was always afraid of him getting hurt...and getting hurt a certain way. One morning, Vegas either fell or jumped......but my fear came true. Exactly how I imagined him getting hurt.
We have a sleigh bed. Our railings on our bed come up above the mattress box spring. There is also about a 3 inch gap all around the bed where the mattress sits away from the bed frame. I don't know if you can picture what I am describing. But when Vegas fell/jumped.......his front leg was not on the outside of the wood frame, but on the inside. Vegas was laying on the floor...but his front leg was twisted above his head and stuck between the frame and the mattress. Any other dog...his leg would have snapped in two. But, because we have some angels looking out for us...only a whimper from Vegas. Nothing broken, no limping. But...we did reset our mattress so that the box springs are separated in the middle and flush against the frame. We have pillows stuffed where the box spring is not flush.

My point in telling you this is.....things happen. But now you know how serious it could be. Plus...did you know that most accidents happen withing 5 miles of your home? So even a quick trip to the grocery store or to the park should only be done while seat belted.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Glad Izzy is doing okay, don't beat yourself up too much. The second day we had Bacon I stayed home from work to keep him company. He jumped off the couch and was limping for about 20 minutes, I was a train wreck calling Jen at work because I thought I broke the puppy.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Just wanted to share a picture of Izzy buckled up! She is not the biggest fan but I feel much better knowing that she is safer! She usually whines the entire time but eventually she falls asleep. Thank you all!

Houston-20121027-00557.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.