English Bulldogs, Why???????????

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I've never really thought about having an English Bulldog. Didn't really care either way until my son started doing research, then I did and well that was that. I fell in love. We got Bear and now I want MORE!!!! The breeder has more puppies, OMG I can't control myself. Its a good thing this breed is so expensive because I would have a housefull!!! We aren't even going on vacation because I can't stand to be without him right now. My husband commented to me I've never paid attention or loved on a dog so much. (we've had 2 as a family, one has passed away, and I loved my lab and love my beagle too) But I will say this. I told hubby I only ever want EBs.

What is it about EBs that is just so damn loveable and you get obsessed and can't love on them enough???? I swear Bear is a human child in a doggie body because that is exactly what he acts like. They are a truly amazing breed and I am so blessed to have at least one in my life. :bully::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::bully:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I don't know what it is...but we have the same feelings here. I grew up always having dogs. Bruce didn't, but knew someone with an EB when he was a teen and really liked that dog. He's always said it's the only kind of dog he would consider owning. I didn't know anything about them, but was open to the idea when we started discussing getting a dog. Even though I've had plenty of dogs that I loved in the past it's entirely different with Gracie. She's got both of us wrapped around her paws!

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
I feel like I tell Horse every day about how in love with him we are. I've always had dogs, but this is my first EB. My uncle (a marine) has always had EBs and I always loved them. I don't think I will ever get another breed, Horse is the best fit for our family, and I so wish we could have another! Braeden really wants another dog too, which doesn't help! I keep telling myself that as soon as I've finished school and we have our own house, we're going to rescue another bully!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes I love them as well. Thankfully they ARE so expensive or we would have also gotten more by now. Which wouldnt be such a bad thing would it? lol. Someday we will get another that is for sure! I would love a frenchie too, they are such a perfect combination of the pug and bulldog personality it seems like. Most people dont understand the love we have for our dogs, thats why I love this site cuz everyone here loves just the same. :)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
same here ive never even considered one till jeff mentioned it, now i dont know what i would do without one or even him in fact..... i told jeff last nite that we need to get another he was like uuuhhhhh lmao....yes and lex is such a human i swear he back talks half the time especially w the NO word lol

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
they are so very human and non-bully owners just don't understand! We have 3 dogs right now. With all we went through with Bella I have been told NO MORE PUPPIES....I don't know if you noticed, but I noticed that is doesn't say NO more DOGS! That is fine with me because next time I am going to adopt!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't know what it is about them, I think it is that they are more than just a companion. They catch your attention when you are not expecting it, and constantly make you laugh. To me, they are like toddlers (human, that is). They can get into things and be bad, or the just sleep or snort or stick their tongue out- and you are saying "awwwww look!!!!" Just like you would with a toddler. I have owned other breeds as well, but I don't ever remember saying "Awwww look!!!" at them to anyone. It's just different. They have a quirky way about them.....

16 years ago this is what my husband wanted- and I said HECK NO!!! Well, he talked me into it and the minute I laid eyes on Baby I was a forever bulldog person. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
16 years ago this is what my husband wanted- and I said HECK NO!!! Well, he talked me into it and the minute I laid eyes on Baby I was a forever bulldog person. :heart: :heart: :heart:

It was the opposite with me and Terri. I wanted one so bad since I had grown up with one and she was like.....ewwww then you are responsible for wiping down the slobber and all of that junk! Ha, now she is hooked! I love how they tend to turn those feelings around.

Last edited by a moderator:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I agree with everyone!!!! I come from a family of animal lovers, we always had dogs and other pets growing up and I always loved our family pups very much. But when I got Samson (my first bully) it was totally different, before that I didn't know it was possible to love a dog that much. He is like my child. It was an instant connection that I can't explain that has only gotten stronger over time. He always wants to be with me and is very sensitive to my emotions, like if I'm crying he'll paw me gently and lick my face, straight up lick the tears off my cheeks. There is something so human-like about him. Oh and he gets very protective of me when Dave isn't home, he is like on guard at night and does his tough boy charging run and bark whenever he hears something that doesn't sound right. I could never live without a bully, I'll always have at least one for the rest of my life, I'm obsessed LOL. When Dave and I got together Sam was about 1 year old and while Dave comes from an animal loving home himself, bulldogs were not his thing but he quickly fell in love. Actually I woke up yesterday to flashing lights in my face, Dave had gotten out the camera and started taking a bunch of pictures of Sam while he was sleeping because "he looked so cute" LOL If I could have more right now I would.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I have always wanted to own an eb, and when finally the day came, my hubby knew someone who's wife rescued them. SO I called her and I said my son (who was 3 at the time) said he wanted an all white one with a black nose. So I called this lady up and asked if she had any eb's in rescue. She said she had an all white one. I was ecstatic and went and got him. I think he was meant for our family! His name was Max and he was and forever will be "the best dog I've ever owned". RIP Max... I miss you.

So before Max passed, my hubby thought that I needed another dog. SO he got me my American Bulldog, LeRoy. Then the lady we got Max from said she had an english bulldog/black lab mix... and that's how I got CHina. After that, I started fostering French Bulldogs. I love that breed with all my heart now. It's one of my favorites. I will always foster them for the rest of my life. It's so rewarding watching blossom and bloom into a wonderful pet for someone. Now Norm's in the picture and my husband is the happiest I've seen him in a long time!!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I never understood the fascination till i got my hybrid (Dwe) who was 3/4 eb and 1/4 olde. He was unlike any animal we ever had and we had alot of different animals from reptile to horse lol. He was alos deaf so it made him xtra special and I never understood the term "people dog" until he came into our lives. Mr. Beefy is my first FULL EB and he and my Olde's act alot alike. They all have very unique personalities and are so bright and cunning. If i didnt have three babies right now and didnt rent. I would get another EB.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I agree with all the comments above, I think it is because they are so "human" like and loveable. I cant wait till the spring because we are getting another!!!

danangel14

Jun 4, 2010
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Dempsey
Iv'e posted before on how much Dempsey means to me and how much I love him. We had a mastiff and until Dempsey joined our family, I always swore I would never have another breed except for a mastiff. Now, I say only EB's. I would love to have another bully, I am in a rental home for the foreseeable future, so a bully sibling for Dempsey will have to wait. He is the furry love of my life.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - they are like kids - more so than other dogs.

I was never a dog lover. I was actually very afraid of dogs as a kid then indifferent as an adult. My husband desperately wanted a dog when we bought our first house so we looked at animal shelters and he had his eye on an Australian Cattle Dog. If you've ever seen those dogs, they can jump 8 feet, need an incredible amount of exercise and stimulation - which I just didn't envision happening in our house. I did a little research and asked my husband if we got a dog, could I choose the breed? I picked a bulldog.

They say bulldogs are bad choices for first time dog owners but figured me and a bulldog would be a good match for each other. Since there's no such thing as a "hands off" bulldog owner, I became extremely close to Bentley, our first baby, very quickly (for me) and it wasn't long before didn't want him to be alone and got him a bully brother, Linus.

Funny, after Bentley passed away, I considered a different breed for a second dog to keep Linus company and my husband refused. Hence Baby T. :)

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Same here!! Honestly.. Chester has more personality than the other dogs we have had in our house.. in addition to the Shih Tzu we currently have. There really is something about them you can't explain. I can only compare it to walking into the Magic Kingdom at Disney world - it's just special. Or as that famous car commercial slogan "It's a Jeep thing"..but "It's a Bully thing." I think I need to add that to my signature come to think of it!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.