The RoxyWrinkle Travel Update!!

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
So we are all the way to Minnesota, and Roxy has been an ANGEL in the car. Jeff said he is actually glad we are driving to Seattle because it's been fun. :D

Pet friendly hotels are easier to find than I thought they would be. We are in a Super 8 right now that's clearly been newly remodeled, and is pretty nice, and Roxy and Jeff are snoozing on the bed before we get back on the road again while I'm on the internet for the first time in days.

Good news, Roxy has been awesome in the car. She only really makes noise to let us know if she really needs to pee or poop which isn't really any more often than Jeff or I do.. hahaha. She typically eats in the morning when we get up and at night when we stop, and we take her for mini walks when we stop to eat. Jeff is like the nervous dad all the time, and he is uber paranoid she is going to get stolen (so am I, especially with all the stories lately of bully-nappings!!!) so there is always someone in/around the car with her if she is in it. We are watching her like HAWKS! :mad:

Bad news, though, is that just before we left, she went into heat. She was not spayed when we got her from crazy Craigslist people and so we planned to get all that done when we got out to Seattle, but it decided to happen a few days before we got on the road. :bitching: I hate those people so much I could scream. (They never did sent her vet records so we had to go and get all her shots redone (including rabies because she needed the rabies tags).) So now poor Roxy has to wear doggie diapers all the way to Seattle. She gives me this look whenever I put a new one on her like "Come ON Mom, you're EMBARRASSING ME." :ashamed: I thought being in heat might affect her temperament on such a long ride but she is still her normal sweet self... and much more pleasant than most humans after being in a car this long!! Can't wait to get her spayed... I definitely do NOT want to have to put up with this ever again. :bitching: How long after she's done being in heat do we have to wait to get her fixed?

Anyhow, wish us luck on the rest of the trip!! We will likely be in Seattle by Friday or early Saturday.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Im so glad your trip is going well. Sucks on her going in to heat.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Glad your trip is going well, no idea about getting her fixed, we have a boy :-) I'm sure someone will be along soon enough

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sounds like the trip is going well!!! :up:

As for the spay ... just make sure it is well and truly finished. I would even give it a couple of weeks after that to be DOUBLY sure. There are vets who will spay whilst they are in heat, but in rescue we were told that it increases the risk of them bleeding out, so just to be on the safe side make sure that it is completely over. Why take the risk!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
So nice to hear your trip is going good. Emma was spayed 2 weeks after she finished her heat. What a time for her to go into heat though. :bigeyes: Girls are so much more maintenance. :laugh:

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: glad your having fun on your trip that suck's she went into heat right before you left it would be a hassle to be in the car with her period have fun an good luck on the rest of the way.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad your trip is going well. Bullies usually do travel well. I have traveled quiet often with several of mine and it has always gone well. As far as the heat cycle and spaying like others have said just make sure it is over and wait an additional weeks or so. You can even give it a month or so if you wish.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber was in heat last month; what a mess. She finished the first week of this month and the vet advised to wait until the end of the to get her spayed. I have an appointment for 26 Oct. So, it looks like 3-4 weeks after it is complete to be safe. Good Luck!

OP
Raspberryswirl
Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
We made it!! Roxy is doing awesome, and loves our friends we are staying with... mostly I think because she is allowed on the couch. XD

We actually came up with a better idea than the doggie diapers for her till she's done with this... I took a pair of patterned women's panties (she has stripy ones, flowery ones... all very stylish!), cut a tail hole, and cut the sides, then put a maxi pad in there and tied them on like a string bikini!! She can't shake them off like the diapers, and she looks so much less embarrassed with the "big girl" pants on than the diapers, and the pad is ultra thin, invisible when her panties are on, and absorb all the mess!! A little weird? Yes. Effective?? You betcha!!! XD

She looked so humiliated in the diapers and walked around all stiff legged and uncomfy hahaha... So she is actually wearing panties and feminine products instead of a baby dydie. XD

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my name is monica, and I am new to this site, as well as a new owner of 8 month old bulldogs, Brother and sister. Their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I just got both of them neutered and spayed a month ago. This is what our vet told us, she said we could wait to neuter our male, until he was 7, 8, 9, or more months, but that the female should be done not younger than 6 months old, but after 6 mos sooner than later, because at this age they an go into heat at any time, and you want to spay them before they go into 1st heat, otherwise you have to wait 3 months until you can spay. I decided to do both of them, because I have a brother and sister, and if she went into heat, I would have to keep the 2 dogs apart from each other , and that would be to difficult, plus My male Dozer was starting to try to hump her, and I didn't want him to start doing that.

Last edited:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Wow, so many different stories and versions of when to Spay - We had Gizmo set up for her Spay, and I had vacation time set up from work, and of course she goes into heat 4 days before surgery, our vet went through with the surgery, but there was an additional charge, due to her being in heat, I'm not exactly sure what the total reason for the additional charge was. But we had no complications (luckily)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
WELCOME TO WASHINGTON! The heat wave has moved on here and it's back to being "BULLY WEATHER" again. I think we Washingtonians must stage an EB Bully Bash here very soon. :2thumbs:

M

mabel lou

That is exactly the same thing I rigged up for my friends female but I attached it to her collar so my friend would just unsnap the collar and pull right off of her girl. It is so much easier then trying to keep something on them that eventually works its way off from walking or playing.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Welcome to Washington. Where we don't tan......we rust. Anyways......Vegas was neutered at 5 months (hormones were getting the best of him), and baby O was spayed at 6 months. I'm so glad we did it before she went into heat.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.