Reverse sneeze

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hey guys so as of recent duchess has been having a reverse sneeze like crazy. Why is this? Anything I can do to combat it?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I'm not sure what a reverse sneeze is Choo-AH? Have you tried Benedryl? Something might be putting out pollen causing a reaction. 1 pink 25 mg pill per 25 pounds of dog. Stick it in a wad of peanut butter and she should chow down on it.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
All of my dogs including non Bulldogs have had bouts of reverse sneezing and I didn't give them anything for it. It happens when there is pollen or some other irritant in the air.
[MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION], you are funny--"Choo-ah"!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
yeah a couple of mine have that too. Jack has always had it. Dog's that sniff the ground alot get these. Beagles are natorious for that. Not to worry. Sometimes I just pet them till it goes away. They don't last as long that way. I can imagine sniffing the ground you're bound to get something in there. LOL

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Not to worry and they don't need to be given anything. It's just something they have sniffed up their snoot. Sometimes an allergy, nasal irritants, or nasal inflammation can cause it but most times it's just something they have sniffed up. My Beagle does it quiet often when she has her nose to the grown. Lucy one of my EB will do it every once in a while. If they have a hard time stopping, one thing I will do to stop it is put my fingers over her nose, closing off her nostrils, forcing her to breath through her mouth and she stops. It only takes a second and she stop. It does not hurt them in any way.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Ya mine will get this too, Gio more then Diva. I read somewhere that it helps to rub the neck down, almost helping them swallow. It usually helps Gio when I do this. Also I read that if he's been doing it for a long period of time a squirt of lemon juice helps too. I also have done this and he stops right away, I always make sure to have lemon juice on hand. Lemon juice helps clear any mucus in the dogs throat!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson did this a few times this summer. It startled me at first because I wasn't expecting it but because I had read about it in several posts and I knew exactly what it was and didn't worry about it. It never lasted too long. I know my old dog who passed Vet said when he had a very dry snout that I could spray some Ocean's Nasal Spray (which I did several times). Not sure if that would help out or not?

Most Reactions