If you have more than one Bulldog, how do they play together?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
If you have more than one Bulldog, how do they play together?
Do they play nice together?
Do they play rough with each other?
Do they fight, and bite, or ram each other?
Do they just do their own thing?

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My 2 will play really rough with each other, they get down on their bellies and then take a running leap towards each other and they ram each other. They bite on each others ears and legs, and roll all over the place. Blossom is way worse than her brother Bulldozer, he is much more laid back. I am afraid they are hurting each other, although neither one of them yelps or cries, they seem to like it. Maybe it's because they are still puppies?? Does anyone else have pups or adult dogs that play with each other like this? And do they stop playing like this when they get older, or is this just how Bullies play? Is this just normal behaviour for Bulldogs? Should I be encouraging them not to play like this? Sometimes when they get too wild, I just let one out at a time, because I don't want them to hurt each other.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
They dont stop.... Mine are CRAZY! Cutty and Mugsy (pug) used to go at eachother like crazy and that made me anxious with Mugsy being so much smaller but they did fine. Now it is Cutty and Miila and dang do they get CRAZY! Will post a pic I got the other day of them in action....

photobucket-27370-1350316133954.jpg

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Now this is a post I will be following closely... We are working on adopting a resuce to come live with us and Dublin so we are trying to anticipate many scenarios and this is one of them.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have 5 bully's and they sleep most of the time, the 3 youngest are siblings and will be 2 years old the end of November. They play together about 5-10 mins out of the day. The rest of the time they basically keep to them selves or lay next to each other, or lick each others faces. They all love one another very much. and rarely get out of hand, if they do I just give a quick loud NO. I like when they play chase around the yard, too funny

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Bullys play very rough or at least mine do. They like to grab each other by the throat skin and pull. Someone always has a scab. They don't cry or pay any attention to it at all. They chase each other around the yard at full speed which is fun to watch. Zoltan my 5 year old who doesn't breath we'll joins in less frequently than the free breathing 2 year old and the pup but he plays to he'll be laying down and the pup crawls all over him and he let's him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They have their moments where they fall into one of your categories at any time

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
OMG Nigel and Karly are like kids...always fighting over a toy. They ram or bulldoze eachother and bite paws and faces. I have to separate them if they start getting too rough. Nigel's bigger than Karly but she does hold her own.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Yup, mine play rough together. Gio is 2 and Diva is 4. They will "Bite" each other, which really means Gio nibbles on Diva's bat ears and legs and Diva will nibble on Gio's wrinkles and ears! They will then roll and toss each other on the ground but they both are having fun. Since Gio has 30lbs on Diva I did get nervous at first but Diva is pretty dominant so she will let him know if he gets to rough and Gio will quickly back off since he is a bit scared of her!!! Sometimes Diva will even jump off the couch onto Gio, which is always hilarious! I'm sure as long as they both aren't growling or getting hurt they are fine. Sometimes Gio will bark and "growl" at Diva but that's just if she isn't giving him enough attention and he wants to play with her!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
mine do their own thing. They don't have much to do with each other, unless one wants to get close to me, then they fight over who is closer...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would say all of the above.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Don't know where to start. Mila and Rudy play quite a bit. Why Rudy puts up with lip tug of war I will probably never know. Mila (6months) is karma payback for the times Rudy (1ish years old) went into the shark attack mode with Mimi (RIP) when he was a puppy. As with other posts, watching them chase each other around the yard, patio furniture flying in all directions, is pretty entertaining. Sometimes I have to help Rudy find a place to hide. Then again sometimes I have to find a place to hide. LOL

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
all of the above for my three!!! They will grab each other's face folds on the side and tug (leaving sores that scab, but doesn't seem to bother them) but their favorite place to grab and chew on is the turkey leg!!! Their play never turns into a real fight (although it often sounds like one). A real fight only happens if Sebastian decides to claim something or someone and starts the bulldog eye stare and growling.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
THANK YOU for this thread! I have two - littermates, boy and girl. I have always been wondering/worried if they are too rough, if there are issues because they are littermates, if this is normal.... etc. They can go SO HARD at each other - and yes there are sometimes those little neck scabs and I was so worried about "drawing blood" (I wondered if that was a sign it was too rough). One will egg the other on until it is a full on crazy wrestle match, they rip around the house, "walrus fight" (mouths open like they are arguing).... everything everyone has said I can say a big DITTO!!! I don't know if they will grow out of this (they are pretty exuberant still, at 1 year and 5 months).
Can't wait to see the other posts!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
BabyGirl and Mr. Wilson have nothing to do with each other. Each does their own thing which is pretty much laying around me or hubby. Wilson is 4 years old and Babygirl is 3-1/2 yrs. I think BabyGirl just chewed on Wilson for the first few months when she was a pup but Wilson is so mellow that she got bored and moved on to my mixed dog Louie who is much more active.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online