Seamus is 6 months old! Have some additional questions

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Hi all:

Mr. Seamus is just about 6 months old and I had a few questions.

1) When should he be fully potty trained? He makes it through the night no problem and when he is in his crate during the days I am at the office (only once a week) he can make it 4-5 hours before our dog walker comes in. However I am still having problems getting him to tell me when he has to go to the bathroom. I work from home so Seamus is out of his crate during the day. Usually I take him out about every 3-4 hours depending on how much water he has had. However he is still having pee accidents in the house a couple times a week. Its not that he is indicating to me that he has to go out and then I don't let him out and then he goes. No, today he just came into my office, looked at me and started peeing. I have no idea what to do! Also, we live in a high rise apartment in DC so its not like I can just let him outside. When he has an accident I have to scold him (if I catch him in the act), get my keys, go down the elevator, walk down the hall and outside. Do you think this could be delaying his potty training?

2) He seems to have some dry skin/dandruff in his fur and is shedding a lot. I bathe him every 3-4 weeks so I don't think its from over bathing. Should I start adding supplements to his food? Our breeder said to stay away from fish products so I don't know what kind of oil to give him. He is currently eating 3 cups of TOTW Puppy Formula each day and is growing and doing great. Doesn't seem to have any pronounced allergies (other than grass) and his poos are nice and solid.

Thanks for all your help! This forum is a life saver!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
When you do wash him, what shampoo do you use? It may be contributing to his dry skin.

Hopefully, you know why your breeder warned you away from fish products. I've multiple bullys and feed the TOTW Pacific Stream, which is fished based and have had excellent results. When I first started using it several years ago the first thing I noticed was coat improvement. Also, a number of folks around here swear by salmon oil so I don't totally understand your breeders warning. Was she talking about fish and fish bones in general or specifically those designed for dogs would be my first question.

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Our breeder said that she has had a lot of dogs who have had fish allergies so she would recommend staying away from fish products all together. Since I didn't want to test her theory I decided to just not incorporate it into his diet at all.

I bathe Seamus in oatmeal shampoo every 3-4 weeks. I hadn't noticed any dryness until this week. Could it be from the excessive shedding. I read somewhere that dogs lose their coats in the fall to get ready for heavier winter coats. Is that true?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
You can try coconut oil instead of fish oil. Herman is 7 months and I give him 3 teaspoons per day but I think the recommendation is a tablespoon per 30 pounds - some say 1 tsp per 10 pounds. But start off with a small amount, maybe 1/4 teaspoon. Keep in mind, there are about 130 calories in a tablespoon of that stuff.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.