Might be a silly question...

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
But - How long can bulldogs walk for in cooler temperatures? It's cooled down a lot here and is around 50 degrees. I would really like to start taking her on some longer walks around the park but I didn't know if it would be too much with some small hills...? Our walks are usually just around the neighborhood for about 10-15 mins.

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Mr. Seamus is just about 6 months and we go for nice leisurely mile to mile and a half strolls through the neighborhood at night. He loves it, it gets him tired out before bed and he does really well (most of the time). It usually takes us around 30-45 mins to go a 1-1 1/2 miles lol. When it was hot out we would only go about 5-6 blocks so he wouldn't get over heated. My breeder said that she takes her big dogs on 2 mile walks through her neighborhood and they all do great!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It really does depend on the breathing system of the bully. As soon as I see a good panting I turn back just to be safe.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I agree with everyone above. Don't push it though. She might be one of those babies that when they get way tired will plop their little hineys down and not budge,. Then you would be carrying a bully baby back home. :yes:

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Until he stops? :)

I agree with the comments re: breathing. Chance has a really good nasal passage and loves (I mean LOVES) to walk. He particularly loves forest trails which usually follow/cross streams and are surrounded by trees. He also happens to like going uphill/upstairs and will take the path of most resistance when given an option (unfortunately for us).

When he was in the 8-9 month range, we could be out on trails for hours (with water bottles) and with a break for lunch. Now that he's almost two (and given that we've slowed with the walks a bit - our fault, not his), his threshold is about 2 hours in the cooler weather. If he hasn't had a really long walk in a while, he tops out at about half an hour like his couch potato parents. :p

I kinda let him dictate what we're doing. If we've walked around the block and he heads back to the door then we're done. If he keeps going, we keep going. If we're away from the house and he's panting hard, we head back and/or take a break then head back to the car.

The trouble with him, I find, is that he has no idea how to pace himself so sometimes he gets out to walk and he's impossible to keep up with but tires quickly. Other times he just begins with a meander and can continue for ages.

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Thanks for the help! I'll watch for her breathing and then head back :)

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
I almost always take a bottle of water with me, even in cooler temperatures. In the summer heat our walks are shorter (and often restricted to evening or early morning) but then I pack extra water and a spray bottle to mist him.

Enjoy your baby! She is very cute. :)

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I almost always take a bottle of water with me, even in cooler temperatures. In the summer heat our walks are shorter (and often restricted to evening or early morning) but then I pack extra water and a spray bottle to mist him.

Enjoy your baby! She is very cute. :)

So sweet, thank you. She's little miss. attitude :) Your Chance is quite the handsome boy as well :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
And also just as humans their condition gets better only by exercing. So slowly start taking longer walks. I bet a lot of bullies are too tired walk bc they haven't been walked.

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
And also just as humans their condition gets better only by exercing. So slowly start taking longer walks. I bet a lot of bullies are too tired walk bc they haven't been walked.

That's a great suggestion...we weren't walking her as much because the temps we're so high...then it drastically dropped (gotta love PA weather) so we're starting to go more often.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Gunny and I just did a 3 mile wall last weekend. He was a trooper at only 5 months. I did have a fear that I might have to carry him, but nope!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We'e done as much as an hour... just watch how they are breathing and if you see any struggling or odd panting let them rest for a bit or you may hae to carry them home

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.