Dodged a Bullet yet again....

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
So as you all know, Gunny isn't the most discerning eater. We have had a few questionable calls, the earring incident, the dead rat debacle, and on Tuesday night the great leather disaster.

The better half and I went to Cabala's and picked him up a pair of Birthday work boots (what is it about you men and your refusal to buy new shoes?). I digress, so we get home and the boots have those leather fringe things attached to the laces. Well he took them off immediately. One made it to the trash and the other, well, made it to Gunny. My daughter notices and just as she goes to grab it, he swallows it. *sigh*

We've been down this road a time or two before, so we started the wait and watch method. Eating? Check. Drinking? Check. Pooping? Check. Signs of leather chunk in poop? No so far. Acting normal? Check. So far so good. This morning about 5:30 Gunny woke me up in bed dry heaving next to my face. Got him to the bathroom floor just in time for him to expel the huge piece of leather.

Gunny - 3. Surgical Trip to the Vet - 0.

Yes, he is happily snoring now, and I do feel bad that he had that thing sitting in his tummy for two days.

I did ask Beaux if he wanted the piece back for his boots, figured the stomach acid has softened the leather nicely. He declined.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Thank god. Don't you just love how they find something to eat that they aren't supposed to. A couple weekends back I purchased a couple new paint brushes because I have started up my holiday house refresher. Well I go down to get something or another and find that on her doggie bed she had one of the new brushes and ate the whole damn handle off of it. She just looked at me like what...thought it was a new chew toy ma.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I absolutely love reading these stories especially when there are not followed by trips to the vet :D Dublin eats nothing but her food and becasue of her super small trachea that has to be a certain size..... She couldn't get much of anything else down that small pipe anyhow, but still she never even tries to chew on anything but her Nylabones..... Not that I am complaining..:nope:

OP
Gunny B

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Not to be too descriptive but it came out and was the size of a healthy poo. I have no idea how the heck he swallowed it in the first place let ALONE hurl it back up 2 days later.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
WOW... what a lucky bully and your pocketbook too!!! If this were to happen again.. you can force vomit with hydrogen peroxide... I have to go look up the measurements/dosage but it is small like a teaspoon per 20 lbs.

It is 3cc's (syringe) per 20lbs of dog

Last edited:

eleanorsserf

Sep 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor and Alfred
Glad to hear your baby is ok... but I have to ask, what is the dead rat debacle?!

OP
Gunny B

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
One morning I let him out for his morning tinkle an he came back carrying a giant dead rat in his mouth. He didn't kill it, probably a neighbourhood cat or bird had, very recently, but it was not the best morning to have to dispose of a rat carcass before my coffee.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Garbage Disposal Gunny.... silly pup! Glad he is ok ;)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I'm glad Gunny is ok! My Samson is the same way, when he was a young pup he chewed off the top third of a kong. I didn't think much of it, I figured it was lost in the house somewhere until seriously about TWO months later he threw that piece of Kong up! Couldn't believe it! Next time I wasn't so lucky, he swallowed a squaky toy 2 or 3 years ago and that had to be surgically removed. THEN last month, mind you he is now 6 years old, when we were at my mom's house house/dog sitting he threw up something that I can only assume was a small fleecey type cat toy ball that he found somewhere in my moms house. I just don't get it!!! LOL

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
lol... that was a good story! I am sure you gotta keep an eye on 24/7 to make sure he is not getting in trouble!

Whenever Izzy is out of her crate I feel like a hawk watching her ... if she is gone for more than 5 min I start calling her cuz I know she is probably chewing or eating something that she is not supposed to.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So glad he is okay! What these bullies get themselves into!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gunny B

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Amazingly enough he actually isn't much of a destroyer. He doesn't chew on furniture, walls, floors, or other non-food items. But if he assumes it is food, inhaled immediately. I can't imagine the stories we would have if he did have an affinity for those items.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Oh I so do feel your pain!!! Linus is just the same - I always say that if it hasn't got a pulse then he will attempt to eat it. The cat must have caught and chewed off half a mouse, because a few weeks ago Linus threw up the other half of it. I don't think there are many substances that he hasn't eaten - cloth, wood, plastic, ... you name it and I think he's eaten it!!! :down: :no:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online