Duchess hate leaving the crate

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So duchess is now 6.5 months and completely crate trained and I thought we were housebroken until she piddled the other day on the way to my elevator-I live in a high rise building. She knows she isn't suppose to do it , she walks behind me while on lead, i abruptly stopped only to look back and she her squating, as soon as I turned and looked she sprinted towards the elevator. So my issue which is kind of weird as I have never experienced this with any other dog I have owned. When I wake up in the mornings or come home in the evening and get her out of the crate, I open the crate door and she just lays there. I figure ok let her be she will come out when she is ready. Well she will lay there for 20-30 minutes before coming out and then next thing you know it she pees while going to the elevator. Actually it only happened this last time her peeing on the way to the elevator because I always make her come out of the crate, I bend down like I'm gonna hug her and just make her come out. But this dog trainer in my building suggested just let her come out when she wants to, great advice because she had an accident! Is this normal for them not wanting to come out of the crate? Everybody is an expert on dogs and a friend was over the other day with a new girl he is seeing and she was like omg do you beat that dog? Why wont she come out of the crate. I wanted to choke her sooo bad! She is not timid in any way, she is very well socialized, loves all people and all other dogs. Any suggestions to get her out of the crate without having to pull her out? I've tried to bribe her with treats and she just stretches her neck as long as she can without actually getting out of the crate. Lol. It's pretty funny and when the treat gets to far she simply gives up. Has anyone else had a bully that didn't want to leave the crate? A friend of mine had a rescue-basest hound- that wouldn't come out of the crate but he was scared of life and very, very timid. Duchess also hates sleeping out of the crate, I mean she will nap with me on the couch but wakes up at the drop of a pin. When in her crate she sprawls out legs up and could sleep through a bomb going off! Sorry for the oooober long post!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
If you have been using the crate since she is a pup she might be happy with it. Most pups tend to view their crate as their safe haven, it's where they go to rest and is not a bad place. Personally I think it's great that she likes her crate. Maybe she is tired and just not ready to get out. I leave Raven's crate open and she will go in and out. She will get out when she is good and ready. I have always tried to make it a fun and inviting place for her so she doesn't see it as something negative.

If she never peed on the way down to go out before or done it since, I would just watch it and chalk it up to an accident.

Last edited:
OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION] I leave the crate door open too when I'm home and she goes in and out when she wants to. I started crate training at 8 weeks as soon as I got her. She has never barked whined or whimpered in the crate. In the mornings @ 6am she will let out 1 bark to let me know she is awake as her crate is in the living room. Guess I'll just keep making her come out in the mornings so she doesn't have any more accidents going to the elevator. Thanks for the response!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] it's getting cold too so she might be just like us, not wanting to get out of bed. I know I have to drag *** to take Raven out especially with the temps dropping and it being so dark.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.