Bruise around nail?

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
Today when I woke up I noticed my pup limping. When I examined him I noticed he has a bruise around the nail of his back left paw. Anyone else seen this? Not sure what happened. Maybe someone accidentally stepped on his paw yesterday? Is it something I should just wait it out and it will get better on its own?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Today when I woke up I noticed my pup limping. When I examined him I noticed he has a bruise around the nail of his back left paw. Anyone else seen this? Not sure what happened. Maybe someone accidentally stepped on his paw yesterday? Is it something I should just wait it out and it will get better on its own?

Good question. I would probably see the vet to make sure it's not broken :( poor baby :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Poor thing, I hope he's ok. He could have gotten it caught in a lot of places like the rug, under a chair. It's so hard to tell :(

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Is the nail loose at all??? Maggie managed to catch one her front paw nails on her crate when she was walking out of it. It was hanging over half off.

Called the vet and they said we can charge you to come in and we will put it off, or you can do it yourself. The hubby volunteered for me to do the job ............. :bitching:

It took 10 minutes of me sitting next to her agonizing over it and plucking up the courage to do it, and about 3 seconds to actually pull what was left of it off. Never again ......... :*(

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hope he's ok. I agree that he probably got it caught on something. One of our other dogs got his nail stuck in a pencil sized hole on the steps that are on the camper a few years back. He yelped something horrible. We were able to get him free. Keep us posted.

OP
mdawson808

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
The nail is not loose so that is good. He is able to walk on it, just not putting all his weight on it. I was with him all yesterday he only went outside to use the bathroom. It confuses me because he was totally fine last night, just started limping this morning. We had some friends over for the games yesterday, thinkin maybe someone accidentally stepped on his paw? If he possibly did get it caught in something, is like a sprained ankle? Where it was twister or bent wrong, so it is just bruised and will take a few days to heal? He seems uncomfortable but not like he is in an extreme amount of pain. He still wants to play so I was thinking taking him to the vet right away might not be necessary

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The nail is not loose so that is good. He is able to walk on it, just not putting all his weight on it. I was with him all yesterday he only went outside to use the bathroom. It confuses me because he was totally fine last night, just started limping this morning. We had some friends over for the games yesterday, thinkin maybe someone accidentally stepped on his paw? If he possibly did get it caught in something, is like a sprained ankle? Where it was twister or bent wrong, so it is just bruised and will take a few days to heal? He seems uncomfortable but not like he is in an extreme amount of pain. He still wants to play so I was thinking taking him to the vet right away might not be necessary

Bully's have a high threshold for pain so keep an eye out. If by chance the toe is broke then there is a chance it won't heal right. If you don't see an improvement fast I would certainly take to the vet.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
mdawson808

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
Will do, I'll let you guys know how he is tomorrow

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
My boxer has done this on a number of occasions. Sadly there isn't much they can do. Even if the toe is broken, kinda like a human, just got to let it heal. Our vet with the boxer just said keep an eye on it and if she continues to favor it, you can get a pain killer. After a couple of days, Denali always managed to forget it was there.

Most Reactions