Licking Grass

jwayne721

May 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I've searched around a bit and found nothing on it, so I figured I'd post here regarding my dogs new peculiar habit. Recently he has been sticking his nose to the ground like he is searching for a place to go to the bathroom but will then look like he is trying to borrow is nose into the grass and then starts licking that spot. When ever he does this when I pull him away from that spot his lower jaw twitching with his tongue hanging out a little bit and dripping drool when he wasn't before hand. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if it's something I should be concerned about.

Thanks for any help or info!
Jd

Picture attached just to introduce my 9 month old pup Winston.

Attachments

• 470823_10151061785731345_1039903187_o.jpg
    470823_10151061785731345_1039903187_o.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 116

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I do believe it's the scent of another. They love that stuff

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The only thing I can think of is he smells something that smell good there. No telling what it might be.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I've searched around a bit and found nothing on it, so I figured I'd post here regarding my dogs new peculiar habit. Recently he has been sticking his nose to the ground like he is searching for a place to go to the bathroom but will then look like he is trying to borrow is nose into the grass and then starts licking that spot. When ever he does this when I pull him away from that spot his lower jaw twitching with his tongue hanging out a little bit and dripping drool when he wasn't before hand. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if it's something I should be concerned about.

Thanks for any help or info!
Jd

Picture attached just to introduce my 9 month old pup Winston.

And welcome to the site. Winston is very handsome too :smileywelcome:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great picture..... my girl does this on occasion as well.. just a scent they catch and want to get at it

OP
J

jwayne721

May 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Well it's more than just him sniffing that spot he jaw twitches up and down for a good 30 seconds after I pull him away which is what I'm more concerned about.

Haha yeah he only does that when I'm paying more attention to football than him, and thank you for the welcome!

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Well it's more than just him sniffing that spot he jaw twitches up and down for a good 30 seconds after I pull him away which is what I'm more concerned about.

Haha yeah he only does that when I'm paying more attention to football than him, and thank you for the welcome!

Is it the same area all the time or can it be anywhere there is grass???

OP
J

jwayne721

May 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Is it the same area all the time or can it be anywhere there is grass???

It's always while he is in the grass and not in the same patch, he is finding a certain type of grass or weed in different areas around my apartment complex and he always finds and licks it without fail.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's more than likely were another dog peed.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
It's always while he is in the grass and not in the same patch, he is finding a certain type of grass or weed in different areas around my apartment complex and he always finds and licks it without fail.

IF it is in and around the apartment complex it may be a weed that gives off a particular odor that Winston is attracted to ( like a cat with cat nip) I have seen Dublin do something similar when she seems to find something that "appeals" to her sense of smell. It is so hard to get her away from it and most of the time it would be rarely where other dogs have been. She will be so intent that she sneezes, and "huffs" while she has her nose stuck to whatever it is.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: my dogs do that all the time its when another dog or something pee there an their licking it up their jaw twitches an they drool to get more of the sent my male did that all the time when my female was in heat I wouldn't be worried about it they to that to get the sent like lions do

OP
J

jwayne721

May 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Appreciate the info folks! He's had a few allergy issues since the tail end of summer so I was hoping this might be the answer/solution, but I'll keep looking into those.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to the wonderful, wacky world of bullies. Glad you found us and I'd love to see more of your baby.

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
We have box turtles in the backyard and Sancho does this anywhere the turtles have been recently. Now that he's gotten a bit older and the hormones are kicking in, he has begun doing this in areas where other dogs mark. It's just a scent they are attracted to, I suppose.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.