Does anyone have some recommended ways to get their Bullie to stop biting?

Wnstnsddy

Sep 21, 2010
Va Beach, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston is 12 wks now, and depspite my wife and my efforts to quell his biting on hands and feet, he still persists in the behavior. I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations that got your pups to stop biting.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Ok i have used this with my puppy who is not 8mnths old and i can say it has helped.When your puppy tries to bite,you can 1.Clap ur hands loudly 2. make the psst sound 3. ignore her till she stops.
With whichever one that you find that woprkd for ur puppy, and she calms down (stops bitting) praise her calmly with a treat. Hope this helps!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Winston is 12 wks now, and depspite my wife and my efforts to quell his biting on hands and feet, he still persists in the behavior. I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations that got your pups to stop biting.

Was it [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] or [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] who used canned air? Heck, maybe it was neither of them. There is a topic about it somewhere.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Cant remember who used the canned air but i do love that idea. I am of no help here either since my boy was older when we got him and my pug didnt bite so much thankfully. From what I have read here tho it seems to be a constant thing with bully pups that just takes time to teach them not to. Gatorfan gave you good advice and I am sure you will get more also.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
It wasn't me, Bella will still grab at my feet out of excitement, I am just very stern when I say "Don't bite" and she will release and be very gentle. Believe it or not, that is all I have to do, a quick stern command.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Was it [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] or [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] who used canned air? Heck, maybe it was neither of them. There is a topic about it somewhere.

I used the canned air and I still do...it's harmless yet very effective!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Gertie was sooo awful when we first brought her home, but Ida never bit at all. With Gertie we just had to get very stern with her. She would bite and we grabbed her "muzzle" (what there was of it) ;) and told her No Biting!! After doing this over and over she finally quit biting. It took a couple weeks, but she never bites at all now.

OP
Wnstnsddy

Wnstnsddy

Sep 21, 2010
Va Beach, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks for the advice I will try what you have recommended and see how it goes.

dashghahary

Sep 12, 2010
Ramsey, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Leia
So funny. I was just going to post a topic such as this because Leia won't stop biting either. I've used a little spray bottle with water, but it doesn't seem to be always available, plus I feel bad using a mist on her. I never thought of canned air because at angles, it comes out as frost. I hope that it's safe to use.

I'll try some of the ideas posted here because I'm pretty desperate. I want nothing more than to cuddle and love this little baby, but she wants nothing but to bite me.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This site is invaluable.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I just spanked him on his butt and tell him no sir, and he just looks at me like really and i tell him again and he'll huff and stop lol... luckly that worked on mine!!! hope you find something that will work... o you might also get a newspaper or mag and hit it against something, the noise will get there attention

arimaeis

Aug 14, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ms. Piggy
I've not had problems with Piggy doing it but I had a mastiff girl that would "play bite". We kept a tupperware container filled with a handful of dried beans in it and shook it really loud when she would bite, or do anything else we didn't like it worked pretty well.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I agree with the others, a loud noise to distract whether its a yelp, loud "NO," or other loud abrupt noise. As you make the distracting noise turn your attention away from the dog 100%, getting up and leaving the area if necessary. If they continue to chew for the attention be very strict in a distracting noise and ignoring them. When they chew any extra attention other than a loud "NO!" is still enough attention to encourage the behavior.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
The only thing that has worked on mine, is we shun him. Don't pay attention to him, its so hard but it has worked. Our other thing is to yell "no bite" and after we've done this several times he is starting to listen.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online