Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
emmc_1000001224.jpg

Well it all started this past Monday, when her mama called us and said they came home from work and Diezel's pin is covered in diarrhea and she was vomiting. We told her she could have a bad stomach bug, or maybe an obstruction and to take her to their vets if she was not better in the morning. Well they took her to their vet the next morning and he took an x-ray to look for an obstruction and didn't see anything. He said she was dehydrated and gave her an IV and said to leave her there over night. Wednesday their vet said he wanted to keep her another night to watch her as she was not eating. He gave her some medicine for her stomach and sent her home Thursday evening. She still wasn't wanting to eat and still had diarrhea so they took her back to their vet Friday. He did some test and said he is sending her blood work off and the results would not be back till this Monday, but he thinks she has kidney failure. Diezel's mama called my wife Bev and was crying and told Bev what he said. I told Bev we are taking her to our bully vet Dr. Dykeman Saturday for a second opinion. Bev called Dr. Dykeman Friday afternoon to give him a heads up and he was asking if their vet had checked this or that and we did not know the answers to his questions, as we were not sure what exactly their vet did.

When they adopted Diezel from us about 1 1/2 years ago we suggested they use our vet because he is an excellent bully vet. Her husband said they had a family friend who was a vet and they wanted to use him instead. Well today Bev took Diezel to see Dr. Dykeman. He did a kidney test on her and it came back fine. Dr. Dykeman said all her symptoms point to an obsrtuction so he took an x-ray of her and saw a shadow in her stomach that just did not look right so he said he is going to run a scope down to find out what it is. Come to find out she did have an obstruction in her small intestine and he performed surgery on her to get it out. After surgery Dr. Dykeman said to Bev, you just saved this little girls life for bringing her here as she would not have lived much longer with this obstruction in her because it had been there so long.

100MEDIA95IMAG0354.jpg

Here is a pic of it as we do not know what it is but it is from a toy of some sort. It is green and squishy. This little girl is still at the vets office and will be there till Monday or Tuesday as Dr. Dykeman wants to monitor her for the next few days to make sure there is no leakage and that she starts to eat and feels better. Dr. Dykeman is just the greatest vet we know and I wouldn't trust my bullies to anyone else. I just hope now Diezel's dad will see that his family friend vet isn't that great after all. Had they waited till Monday for the test results to come back she would be dead. Diezel is a very lucky little girl and I hope she gets to go home Monday.

So please watch what is on the floor and what they have in their mouths, as they will eat anything. Like our vet said if they have diarrhea and vomiting for several days and not eating, you can pretty much bet they have an obstruction.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Oh My, I am so glad you got to her in time!! I am so happy she is going to be OK now. I hope they have learned from this and will continue to use your vet from now on.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
what a beautiful little girl.... so happy you got her to a great vet and prayers she is home soon

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh my goodness, David, that's so scary. I'm very relieved to hear that your vet caught the origin of Diezel's illness however. This is a good reminder about watching what our bullys put in their mouths. I know mine eat almost anything they see on the floor.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Great advise David. Those little squeaky toy's that every dog likes can be torn into chunks. And just like a toddler child they need to be supervised when chewing anything. Jack use to steal the hot pads right off the counter top and swallow them whole, he's done this with socks too. We'd find them day's later all twisted like they were rung out. They were in that shape because he was lucky. they passed through him. We didn't know they were missing, once we caught on to his tricks, we were trained by him to never leave anything lay around that he could swallow.

Always gotta keep and eye on them, that's for sure. Glad Diesel will be ok, and hope your friend takes your advise on the Vet too.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
What a little darling. So glad you got her the help she needed in time!

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Oh wow! I am glad you were able save her!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Wow. That is scary for sure! Glad they had enough sense to call you right away. Imagine if you weren't there for them.....if they didn't have you guys there to seek advise and answers from..

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Diesel is so lucky!!! So happy to hear David that this had a happy outcome for Diesel. Any idea what that could be? I know Ace use throw up occasional parts of tennis balls he would digest and the rubber would be rock hard from the stomach acids. Wish Diesel a speedy recovery. :hug:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Glad you and Bev knew were there. You both are great bullie parents. Gread reminder for us all

She is such a beautiful girl :heart:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Great that you got her to a bullie vet in time and hope she's going to recover fully. It's these times I'm happy that Usko doesn't eat everything, sometimes not even food.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great advise David. Those little squeaky toy's that every dog likes can be torn into chunks. And just like a toddler child they need to be supervised when chewing anything. Jack use to steal the hot pads right off the counter top and swallow them whole, he's done this with socks too. We'd find them day's later all twisted like they were rung out. They were in that shape because he was lucky. they passed through him. We didn't know they were missing, once we caught on to his tricks, we were trained by him to never leave anything lay around that he could swallow.

Always gotta keep and eye on them, that's for sure. Glad Diesel will be ok, and hope your friend takes your advise on the Vet too.

Another good reason to take a good long look at what you're picking up when you "pooper scoop" the yard. Smaller chunks of something that made it though can reveal the possibility of chunks of something bigger that did not --- and could cause a problem later.

Thanks to [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] for sharing Diezel's story here. Lots of great lessons to take from it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my what a scare and im so glad it came out ok. something for peeps to think about who have bullies who eat things. good work for taking him to your vet. :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.