Pet pen vs crate

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=5602]mdn525[/MENTION] I bought the xpen at our local petstore. I think the name brand is precision and it was $60 Canadian. I would imagine less in the US. I didn't shop around when I bought it so I have no idea how that compares, sorry! As for the flooring, that was about $60 as well from Canadian Tire. Its super heavy duty and easy to wipe. We taped all of the seams on the underside for any moisture that happens to get through.. It still does but not as much

Last edited:

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Does anyone remember what size xpen they got? Tuni is still a puppy (4 months) but I want to make sure she can grow into the xpen. Also, do your xpens have a door or is there a way to get them in and out easily?

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Ours has a door ( we had to flip the whole thing upside down hhen he was little so there was nothing he had to step over to get into it because he would get high centred lol) an when I got mine i came to find that the sizes were not how big around it was but how tall it was, ours is 36", taller than his crate. Tonka isnt a jumper at all, but if he wanted to he could climb on his crate and get out now. Heres hoping he doesnt figure that out lol.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Ours has a door ( we had to flip the whole thing upside down hhen he was little so there was nothing he had to step over to get into it because he would get high centred lol) an when I got mine i came to find that the sizes were not how big around it was but how tall it was, ours is 36", taller than his crate. Tonka isnt a jumper at all, but if he wanted to he could climb on his crate and get out now. Heres hoping he doesnt figure that out lol.

That happened to HErman too but I didnt flip it over - I was AMAZED how in just days he was able to easily walk over it. He grew so darn fast!! After a while he was leaping over it :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Does anyone remember what size xpen they got? Tuni is still a puppy (4 months) but I want to make sure she can grow into the xpen. Also, do your xpens have a door or is there a way to get them in and out easily?

I got a 24" I think , its the same height of the crate. He's able to knock it over but he doesnt. He will however push it around. But now he needs a bigger crate, meaning a bigger x-pen. I'm not sure if I'll replace it or not.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I think it truly depends on your bully (after potty training of course!) on whether or not they can be contained with a xpen. My female, Cleo, I would trust no doubt as long as nothing was near that she could pull down and chew on if bored. Mac on the other hand, gets crated NO MATTER WHAT. He's 1 now and still a handful while Cleo never got to be too much of a handful just willful if you know what I mean. Mac would probably bulldoze his way out of it or jump over the top to escape. He's not a tall bully by any means, he's actually shorter than cleo right now, but he can actually jump on our bed. Hubby and I were hiding from him one morning and thought we were safe snuggling in our bed buuuuut. . . we thought wrong! We actually keep them in the laundry room when I'm at work and so far it's been a good place for them. Hopefully you'll find what works best for you.

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I got a 24" I think , its the same height of the crate. He's able to knock it over but he doesnt. He will however push it around. But now he needs a bigger crate, meaning a bigger x-pen. I'm not sure if I'll replace it or not.

Did you buy your xpen online? If so, do you remember where you bought it from? I'm trying to find the best deal :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Can't comment on the xpen as I've never used one. We've always gone with the crates, and we crate them all seperately if we are gone for a long enough period of time, or if it is overnight.

I will say, that if your bully is an escape-artist then the xpen may not be the way to go. Linus has actually escaped from his crate once, and so I know for a fact that there is not an xpen on this planet that would keep him in one place!!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Did you buy your xpen online? If so, do you remember where you bought it from? I'm trying to find the best deal :)

No, I got it from JB Pets here in NJ - its the Midwest x-pen. I cant find the receipt, but i think it was somewhere between $40-50.

Members online

No members online now.