Licking= thumb sucking?

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Atticus like his paws before he goes to sleep every single time. I freaked out thinking oh no food allergy but I realized it's only a mi ute or two before he passes out. I tried socks(big no-go) Then I started covering his paws until he went to sleep...his solution to that was just to lick my face...I started to put one of hs toys under hs head and that seemed to help, but he licks that too....like i said it's only right before he goes to sleep, the rest of the day hes fine

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Good observation! I always suspect allergies with paw licking, but if it's only as he's falling to sleep, maybe he's just calming himself!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: when dogs lick they release endorphins in their brain an that makes them relax an feel good that's why some dogs lick all the time they like the feeling they get when they do it so he's probably doing that so he can get some good sleep its comforting to him.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber sucks on her hedgehog or her stuffed ducky. Just holds it and sucks on it and then she either goes to sleep or runs off for more play time.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
It could be a food allergy but it can also just be an obsessive thing. My Samson is a paw licker for both reasons, obsessive tendencies and allergies.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You will soon find out that bullies are very OCD!!! Licking is one of the many OCD qualities that bullies can have. Maggie had it every night time, and if it wasn't her paw it was our comforter.

Daddy licks his paws when he's "worried" about something. But it's not just licking .. there is all kinds of OCD traits you are going to discover!!! Linus I only just recently discovered freaks out when I move any piece of furniture around!!! :bigeyes:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver will lick the blankets on our bed when we go to bed at night. No other time. Usually when he gets put in the crate, we're leaving the house so I haven't noticed him doing it then and I know he doesn't do it when he's just snoozing around the house during the day, only when it's bedtime for everyone and he's on our bed. He'll also do it if I go in my room and lay down during the day too, so it's just the bed that triggers it, I guess.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
:butterfly: when dogs lick they release endorphins in their brain an that makes them relax an feel good that's why some dogs lick all the time they like the feeling they get when they do it so he's probably doing that so he can get some good sleep its comforting to him.

that's interesting to know. Herman must be calm because he doesn't lick anything.... except when I tell him to stop biting something! Then he tests me by licking it quickly - getting one last taste of it.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yup Brutus is a toal licker especially the couch or my pillow :eek: I always put my head or part of my body on a wet spot made by Brutus LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online