Thread: Bulldogs and kissing

Default Bulldogs and kissing

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem. Our bulldog "Bean" goes crazy whenever my wife and I kiss or hug. She seems to get upset, immediately runs to us and tries to either seperate us or get between us. Why does she do this? Anyone else have the same problem? What does this mean?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldogs and kissing

oh yes Franklin will not let us kiss hug anything he gets mad he's very jealous

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

She's either claiming you or your wife and it's not a good behavior to encourage!! We are having issues right now with Sebastian trying to claim EVERYTHING (toys, bed, and bones) and it's causing fights with the other two. You have to stop that behavior right now before it gets much worse.
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Kim .... she is claiming one of you as her own and this has the potential to escalate if you let it. When you are together and she misbehaves I would firmly remove her from the couch/chair/bed and ignore her until she behaves appropriately.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure I agree with the others. I've read from somewhere that in the dog world that close and intimate contact is seen as threatening.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

I definitely experience this!!! Tonka does the same thing. Whenever my boyfriend hugs me or even if Tonka sees us trying to cuddle he comes over and gets right in between and sticks his big head in our faces. I always thought it was funny, but maybe it's not a good thing....I don't know. I have actually seen a few people post about their bulldogs doing that to them as well. Maybe they are just jealous and want all the attention as a breed in general? Or maybe they are "claiming" someone. My boyfriend thinks it's that Tonka claims me and that he gets jealous when I get a hug or anything. It would be interesting to research this more I guess.

Real Name
    Maia
    Country
    Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ulysses
    Likes (Received)

Ulysses does the exact same thing. I never saw it as jealousy, but more like he has to be part of everything that goes on in this house (he is so noisy!). If there's a kiss, he has to be kissed as well, if there's hugging the same thing. Not sure it's a bad thing though. But if you don't like it, then you should address it and let her know is not a correct behavior.

Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I have read that dogs don't touch each others faces. In dogs language it's rude and can be a sign of aggression. So I' think that your dogs are intruding to break up the possible fight they think is coming.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

I am Vegas's period! even if we sit close on the couch together he tries to get up and in between. A simple hug will bring him running and standing right beside me and looking up at me. We dont encourage this behavior and stop him from doing so, But that dosent mean he still wont try.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KMARINO View Post
    I am Vegas's period! even if we sit close on the couch together he tries to get up and in between. A simple hug will bring him running and standing right beside me and looking up at me. We dont encourage this behavior and stop him from doing so, But that dosent mean he still wont try.
    This is what its like at our house LOL Brutus was supposed to be hubbys little man All me
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I can see it being a way of Bean trying to claim you two but I am honestly terrible with behavioral stuff. My Samson does that but not with just simple hugging or kissing, if my fiance gets playful like picks me up or tickles me Samson will run and try to separate us. To me it seems like he thinks Dave is hurting me and tries to stop it.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Remove Ads