Bulldogs and kissing

Roger

Aug 5, 2011
Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem. Our bulldog "Bean" goes crazy whenever my wife and I kiss or hug. She seems to get upset, immediately runs to us and tries to either seperate us or get between us. Why does she do this? Anyone else have the same problem? What does this mean?

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: oh yes Franklin will not let us kiss hug anything he gets mad he's very jealous

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
She's either claiming you or your wife and it's not a good behavior to encourage!! We are having issues right now with Sebastian trying to claim EVERYTHING (toys, bed, and bones) and it's causing fights with the other two. You have to stop that behavior right now before it gets much worse.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with Kim .... she is claiming one of you as her own and this has the potential to escalate if you let it. When you are together and she misbehaves I would firmly remove her from the couch/chair/bed and ignore her until she behaves appropriately.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm not sure I agree with the others. I've read from somewhere that in the dog world that close and intimate contact is seen as threatening.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I definitely experience this!!! Tonka does the same thing. Whenever my boyfriend hugs me or even if Tonka sees us trying to cuddle he comes over and gets right in between and sticks his big head in our faces. I always thought it was funny, but maybe it's not a good thing....I don't know. I have actually seen a few people post about their bulldogs doing that to them as well. Maybe they are just jealous and want all the attention as a breed in general? :) Or maybe they are "claiming" someone. My boyfriend thinks it's that Tonka claims me and that he gets jealous when I get a hug or anything. It would be interesting to research this more I guess.

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Ulysses does the exact same thing. I never saw it as jealousy, but more like he has to be part of everything that goes on in this house (he is so noisy!). If there's a kiss, he has to be kissed as well, if there's hugging the same thing. Not sure it's a bad thing though. But if you don't like it, then you should address it and let her know is not a correct behavior.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have read that dogs don't touch each others faces. In dogs language it's rude and can be a sign of aggression. So I' think that your dogs are intruding to break up the possible fight they think is coming.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I am Vegas's period! even if we sit close on the couch together he tries to get up and in between. A simple hug will bring him running and standing right beside me and looking up at me. We dont encourage this behavior and stop him from doing so, But that dosent mean he still wont try.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I am Vegas's period! even if we sit close on the couch together he tries to get up and in between. A simple hug will bring him running and standing right beside me and looking up at me. We dont encourage this behavior and stop him from doing so, But that dosent mean he still wont try.

This is what its like at our house LOL Brutus was supposed to be hubbys little man :ROFL: All me :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I can see it being a way of Bean trying to claim you two but I am honestly terrible with behavioral stuff. My Samson does that but not with just simple hugging or kissing, if my fiance gets playful like picks me up or tickles me Samson will run and try to separate us. To me it seems like he thinks Dave is hurting me and tries to stop it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.