Minor Puppy problems

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Hey guys! I know there is a forum for bulldog products, but I have just a quick question. Atticus is having some puppy acne. He went to the vet yesterday and she didn't seemed to be concerned. He's also having some tear staining and the same discoloration around his mouth(where the slobber pools). We had an emergency trip to West Virginia last week and it really didn't start until we were there, so I'm wondering if it's seasonal allergies. Basically I've read about witch hazel and the malaseb and duoxo pads and I was wondering if any of these would be helpful at all? Our vet seemed content to just leave it alone, but I just don't know...

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Are you using stainless steel or plastic bowls. I found that when I used the plastic bowl Raven started getting some chin acne. Then I switched her to the stainless steel bowls and it went away. The stainless bowls get cleaned right after and before usage with very hot and soapy water. Her acne seems to be gone now. She does have some tear staining but I think in her case it's seasonal allergies. For now might I suggest you clean his face and his eyes with a good warm wash cloth and dry it well after he eats. Then if that doesn't work try one of the cleaners. The tear staining might have also kicked into over drive because you went to a different area. Not sure if you used bottled water or regular tap water, but water differs from region to region. Good luck. The simple change with the bowls and wiping her face with a warm wash cloth helped us.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Wash his chin after every meal and also after any chew toys (antlers, dog chews, etc) or anything he spends a lot of time gnawing on. Limit his use of those until it clears up because he is rubbing his wet chin on the food/toy and on the floor. Try to keep his chin dry as possible without any kind of friction on it. it should clear up pretty fast.

Stoagie713

Sep 12, 2012
Vacaville, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoagie
We do use stainless steel and he drinks bottled water I'll try wiping him down after eating and drinking bc we normally just do it before bedtime and particularly messy times
Just an idea, we got our Stoagie using the water bottles that hang from the crate, like the ones gerbels use. lol. Except this one is big and holds a lot of water, also its glass. We wash it everyday when we refill it, he loves it and we dont have to clean his jaws anymore. He used to get really messy and started getting irritation and we switched him to the bottle because his breeder told us he was familiar with it already. Its just an idea that might work. [:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
oh glad to hear its working! I find that the way Herman drinks out of his bottle, he lets the water and drool just pour out of his mouth on the other side - so I keep newspaper under it. so you might still get some slobber LOL

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I had posted a thread a couple months ago with pictures...Brutus had very bad chin acne...We started using stainless steal bowls that are cleaned 2-3 times a day. We also used Animax ointment 1-2x a day after cleaning/dryying well. You can ask the vet for it and keep it on hand as it works for many other bullie issues :)

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Chunk had all these issues until we found the right food (we were using stainless steel bowls, malaket wipes, drying his face, everything). His chin acne was SO bad that it would bleed profusely. It took me almost two years but I think we've finally found a food that solves everything! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.