Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Grooming question ....

  1. #1
    Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bulldogs4me's Avatar
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,928
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    17
    Blog Entries
    5

    Question Grooming question ....

    How many do all their grooming at home? Do you have a grooming table? I do the bathing, brushing, cleaning & nail trims on my dogs but find it a struggle sometimes to make them hold still for the nails, when I take them in to get their nails done they just stand there and don't fight it at all, not sure if its because they don't know the person cutting their nails or if the table makes all the difference ... I've been trying to make up my mind if I should go ahead and get a grooming table (since my son is leaving for the military next month he won't be able to complain about it) or if the cost of getting a table is just money tossed? Any suggestions?
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

  2. #2
    Pet Sitter Gunny B's Avatar
    Location
    Marysville, Wa
    Posts
    381
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    When I trim Gunny's nails a spectator would say it is like watching middle school wrestling match. So clearly, I have zero advice other than may the force be with you.
    I am a master at planking......

  3. #3
    Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bulldogs4me's Avatar
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,928
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    17
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Grooming question ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny B View Post
    When I trim Gunny's nails a spectator would say it is like watching middle school wrestling match. So clearly, I have zero advice other than may the force be with you.
    LOL that's some funny stuff right there!!!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

  4. #4
    Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    elearn's Avatar
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,209
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Grooming question ....

    The nail clippers make a difference - I've tried a few brands, but I found the Miller's Forge nail clippers worked well and let me snip them fast before Herman knows what's going on. Im by no means good at it, but at least I know I can do it

    -767c-jpg

    Before that I was in a panic about how I'd get Herman's nails cut since I am not comfortable leaving him at a groomers

    On a side note, But since then a new groomer has opened and she has a lounge with internet and coffee for people who are afraid to leave the dogs - and she owns a bulldog and trusts the groomers she hired. I grilled her and I feel confident I might possibly one day will perhaps maybe think about letting Herman go there for grooming.

    I would get a grooming table (the breeder even recommended it) but I dont have anywhere to put it.

  5. #5
    Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bulldogs4me's Avatar
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,928
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    17
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Grooming question ....

    Quote Originally Posted by elearn View Post
    The nail clippers make a difference - I've tried a few brands, but I found the Miller's Forge nail clippers worked well and let me snip them fast before Herman knows what's going on. Im by no means good at it, but at least I know I can do it

    -767c-jpg

    Before that I was in a panic about how I'd get Herman's nails cut since I am not comfortable leaving him at a groomers

    On a side note, But since then a new groomer has opened and she has a lounge with internet and coffee for people who are afraid to leave the dogs - and she owns a bulldog and trusts the groomers she hired. I grilled her and I feel confident I might possibly one day will perhaps maybe think about letting Herman go there for grooming.

    I would get a grooming table (the breeder even recommended it) but I dont have anywhere to put it.
    I think I might actually torture my babies ... I use clippers when I have been lazy and didn't trim each week (I know I'm BAD!) but when I'm doing good and keeping up with their nails I just just use my nail dremel, I'm confident in doing the nails I'm just having one heck of a time making them stand still and the more I fight with holding them still the less I get done LOL ok yeah maybe they just have my number

    I getcha on leaving them alone I'm that way too but there is a little shop I go to the lady does a good job and is in love with the babies and I just wait in the lobby til she is done, this place normally stops what they were doing and take my two back and trim dremel and bring right back to me ... I love that!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

  6. #6
    Dog Groomer goobers mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    629
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Breezi, LAYLA& PANDA, Hammer, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
    Likes (Received)
    149

    Default Re: Grooming question ....

    I am pet groomer and I think being on the grooming table is the difference my dogs will not move while on the table but will totally embarass me If I attempt to do any grooming on the floor. Customers say the same thing

  7. #7
    Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    elearn's Avatar
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,209
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Grooming question ....

    Quote Originally Posted by goobers mom View Post
    I am pet groomer and I think being on the grooming table is the difference my dogs will not move while on the table but will totally embarass me If I attempt to do any grooming on the floor. Customers say the same thing
    I read some where that they feel less secure on the table because they can't run away - same in the vet's. He can trim Herman's nails and he wont budge - he'll scream like a monkey if the vet takes too long though.

  8. #8
    ..........
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    0
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Grooming question ....

    Elevated makes a big difference with HRH. We don't have a dog specific table but a folding one that is narrow and about 4' long. Having said that it still takes one holding and one grinding to do her nails. But it is nearly impossible if she is not on that table... Table definitely helps.

  9. #9
    Pooper scooper lovemybullys's Avatar
    Posts
    36
    Bulldog(s) Names
    samson. and ares
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Grooming question ....

    I am by no means a expert eather but I do my own grooming because all the groomers here are not that knowledgeable that I've found. I clean , brush, trim nails ,do noses, ears, butts, the whole works. On two bulldogs an a min pin.I've had my min pin longer then my bullys but found the hardest part was nails I tried a couple different kinds of clippers an agree with elearn I use those also an they have made my job so much easier. I still get a little fuss but not much anymore. Also could be my bullys are only bout 9 weeks now. I've had them since they where 3 weeks old. Rescued them from some bad people an hand raised them so they are very attached an super nice to me. Also don't have a groming table we do it on the bathroom floor. But I do like those clippers they cut fast an smooth for me . Sorry if I rambled on an jump subjects

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •