Service Bullies?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Does anyone use their bully as a service animal?

Before I got a dog, I mentioned wanting one to my doctor and he recommended training her as a cardiac alert dog for my heart condition. Eventually Matilda will be able to let me know that I'm going to faint (which is often) up to 30 minutes beforehand!

She just got certified and has already started training... Right now, it's just regular puppy training, but once she can focus for more than 30 seconds, we'll move on to the cardiac stuff! I'm not training her as some version of a seeing eye dog - she is going to be a normal, happy bully that just so happens to be a cardiac alert dog... and is able to behave herself in public!! :rolleyes: I also won't ever be bringing her around places that are unnecessary (restaurants, movie theaters, etc), unless of course my condition worsens and it becomes necessary.

Just curious, anyone else have a service animal? Matilda will be my first.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
No trained service dog, but my Mack used to visit people in the local hospital and the local nursing home. He was comfortable sitting in a chair next to the patient's bed and/or getting up on the bed with them.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=5755]hnhammond[/MENTION] That's wonderful to hear that Matilda will be taking care of YOU. And I'm sure you will both be taking great care of one another :)

Just wondering what she's gotten certified in as a puppy? I'm not familiar with service dog certification process.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
no service dog, but Oliver is certified as a therapy dog and a Read to Me dog.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
@hnhammond That's wonderful to hear that Matilda will be taking care of YOU. And I'm sure you will both be taking great care of one another :)

Just wondering what she's gotten certified in as a puppy? I'm not familiar with service dog certification process.

She is certified as a cardiac alert dog, but there is a little line that says "in training". But it's basically the same thing. It's interesting how they certify the dog so quickly! If I took Matilda ANYWHERE public she would be crazy trying to play with everyone :lmao: And if I fainted, she'd probably nibble my hair and toes.

But it's supposed to be so I can expose her to crowds now so that it'll be old news when I really use her. Plus, we're supposed to be together very, very often so that she will recognize differences in my mannerisms (leading up to fainting)

Therapy dogs are so great, that is wonderful that so many of you do it! My friend has a little shih-tzu as a therapy dog - just to help curb anxiety and depression. Dogs can do so many wonderful things for us!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Wow .. that's wonderful!! I had heard of dogs that help like that. As if they can sense when their owner is in distress long before the person realises it!!!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.