Collar or Harness or both?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
When Bacon is in his crate he wears nothing, lately we have been putting his collar on him when we are home so we know where he is by the sound. If we leave the house he gets harnessed, and we are actually getting him a new one with the cushioned chest part so it doesn't make his skin raw.

OP
tanito00

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
My boy wears a collar at al times with his name and my contact info, just in case he should ever get out. We started with an inexpensive nylon collar. After several months, I noticed his neck was very irritated under it, so after some research we now only use leather, which solved that problem. We just had to go up to a larger collar this past week. The problem I soon discovered while shopping at Persmart, was that any leather collar over 18" was very wide and wide doesn't work very well for short necks :eek:. I finally found a leather "rolled" collas on EBay that is just perfect for him and was only $15 and American Made :) I use his collar to keep him put when grooming or to hold him if someone comes to the door, but for leading or car restraint, we only use a harness. I don't want to restrict his air flow or take a chance of hurting his neck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is that something common in bullies? cause I bought a reg collar for her before i got her but i havent it tried it on her yet but after reading that i might just buy a leather one dunno

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I read that the nylon collars can build up oil and dirt, which causes bacteria and bullies are very sensitive to bacterias and such, as we all know ;) Leather doesn't do this. We haven't had any irritation since we switched, but I do keep it loose so it's doesn't rub or chaff.

Last edited:

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I normally do both but we are down to just the collar cause I cannot find a harness that I like or one that fits right.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Check out the Ezydog quick fit. I really like the way it fits Tank and it is very easy on and off. No putting their feet onto it. I just slip it over his head and then snap it around his body! Quick and Easy! This style is not too expensive. I think it was around 25. They have another one that I like even better but its pretty pricey. I will wait until he is done growing before making that purchase :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
BOTH!!!

BUT my collars are "fashion accessories" because I have different designs for whatever is the season. For example, Bella is wearing her breast cancer awareness collar right now. ......... I think they look odd without collars. And it's FUN!!! :up:

BUT for walking it's harnesses every time. Bullies already have difficulties with breathing without having them pull, or you have to tug on a collar and restricting their airway any worse than it already is!!!!

When they go for walks they wear both ................ because even when they are in the forest they are still wearing their funky, with-it, cool, and trendy collars!!! :up: Errrmmm.. I wonder if I just threw myself back into the 90s with those words ............. :ROFL:

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Check out the Ezydog quick fit. I really like the way it fits Tank and it is very easy on and off. No putting their feet onto it. I just slip it over his head and then snap it around his body! Quick and Easy! This style is not too expensive. I think it was around 25. They have another one that I like even better but its pretty pricey. I will wait until he is done growing before making that purchase :)

How awesome is that! Thank you! Where can I find it?

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I found mine at a local owned dog specialty store but you can find them on line at Amazon.com or Ezydog.com. I forgot to mention another reason that I chose this style is that it sits low across his chest so there is no pressure near or on his neck area.

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
My daisy wears both well. Harness is used when we go out and a collar at home. I need to find a harness with a ring in the front for her tags. Much much easier to control her when she is wearing the harness though. :)

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
We use the ezwalk harness leash attaches in the front of the harness as opposed to on the back like most traditional harnesses. It eliminated any pulling within a week!

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Both. Collar around home or our land and harness when we go for long walks.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Mila wears a collar with name tag all the time because she is deaf. Even though we have double gates, you never know. She is so athletic I think she could climb the fence if she knew she could. Rudy doesn't wear a collar. Both are leash trained with a slip collar. After Mimi and Tyler, both gone now, I want to protect my shoulders. Slip collars can get them into walking shape quickly. Btw if you are having problems leash training, a private trainer might be in order. We hired one when Rudy was about 18 weeks old. What a difference it made. Took the trainer about two 30 Minute visits to make Rudy an excellent walker.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We use both , we use a collar, for short walks especially when we were training, because it was easier than putting the harness on, but Blossom has pulled out of her collar a couple of times, and I am afraid shell run out on the road, so for long walks we use the harnesses, to be safe. We also use the collars for trips in the car , when we go to the vet, the pet food store, or the park, and they come with us. It's easier to put the collars on than the harness. I did see a harness at Rens Pet Depot called the Buddy collar, it goes over the front of the chest, instead of under their bellies. I'm thinking of getting them for mine.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Got a question guys, so Ellie is 4 months and some change she has never worn a harness or collar and I believe we need to start getting her use to wearing one my question is do you guys put collars on your bullies or just a harness or both? please help me decide!!! thanks!!

Gizmo has a collar, and we walk her on a leash with the collar, LOCALLY, if we go out to an activity - she's harnessed - now hershey, harness only, he has such extra skin under his neck, we decided to do away with the collar and leave all of the tags on his harness

Abuimad

May 24, 2012
Doha Qatar
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Started of on a collar, now transitioned into the harness + collar (used only when he won't budge which is usually after seeing a plastic bag or a land mower lol) he seems to walk better on the harness and when he drags, a verbal command does the trick ... After reading so many posts about how sensitive bully necks are, I didn't want to take any chances

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.