Collar or Harness or both?

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Got a question guys, so Ellie is 4 months and some change she has never worn a harness or collar and I believe we need to start getting her use to wearing one my question is do you guys put collars on your bullies or just a harness or both? please help me decide!!! thanks!!

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Ellie's a great name. Our 5 month old Bully is named Ellie Mae.

But she's been wearing a collar for a couple of months now and she's used to it. We just bought her first harness over the weekend and she is not a fan of it, but we've been trying to let her wear it some each night this week so that she'll get used to it. Most on here are all for a harness when they're out with their bullies.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I sometimes do both but mostly harness it's just easier an I would use a harness til she's at least one because they do have sensitive necks. Both of my dogs walk better on a harness a lot better!

OP
tanito00

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Ellie's a great name. Our 5 month old Bully is named Ellie Mae.

But she's been wearing a collar for a couple of months now and she's used to it. We just bought her first harness over the weekend and she is not a fan of it, but we've been trying to let her wear it some each night this week so that she'll get used to it. Most on here are all for a harness when they're out with their bullies.

Thank you! and yes I noticed most EBD owners like the harness more so I guess the question is do you guys put dog tags on your bullies or have a collar that you put on when you go out with them that has their tags?

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have mine wear a collar when just home and hanging out, even though we have a secure fenced yard you just never know so I have a collar with a ID plate fastened to the collar but for walks I use a harness just because mine can slip out of a collar really easy and it's happened at the worst times so I just don't take the chance and make sure if going anywhere they are in the harness.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Personally my opinion is get her started on both. Sure you'll have to buy a couple sizes as she grows. I've always had both all my dogs. Collars are for their tags and the harness is for our walks to to be hooked up at the campsite. I don't keep collars on my guys when we're not there, I'd hate to see them get hung up on something and get stuck or.......

Plus when you walk them on a harness you're not yanking on their neck and as they get bigger and strongers you really don't have to worry about them backing up and the collar coming off them.

When they all go for car rides they're collars with tags are always on...never know what could happen, accident, etc.

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
Got a question guys, so Ellie is 4 months and some change she has never worn a harness or collar and I believe we need to start getting her use to wearing one my question is do you guys put collars on your bullies or just a harness or both? please help me decide!!! thanks!!
We just use a collar, she hates the harness every time I put it on her she winds up doing a backflip trying to bite it off lol. I would say pick one that you prefer and stick with it until she gets used to it which might take some time .

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
all my dogs have a lightweight collar that has an ID tag on it. They are also microchipped. I use a Martingdale Collar with their Rabies tags on them when we're out and about. I tried a halter on Zelda but I couldn't leave it on all the time because it rubbed her hair off. Putting it on and off wasn't worth the effort since she never sat still for anything and I can't work with someone licking my glasses.

Also, remember, they use bulldogs for weight pulling competitions for a reason. If your bully gets feisty and actually starts pulling in a harness you might find yourself going for a run you didn't expect.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I start off my puppies on a slip leash just for around the house. I walk them INSIDE the house so they get use to the leash for control and not for punishment. Too many times people try and leash train a puppy for the first time OUTSIDE the house in a new environment which is stressful. I recommend a harness as well. Even if your Bully is trained, when the unexpected happens and your dog gets frightened, this will not only be safer to prevent them from getting out of the collar, but also better to protect the neck from strain.

Good Day~

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
They both use harnesses for walks and trips to the park. But I use collars for when they are playing in the yard. Their ID tags are on a clip so I can just take them off easy and put them on the harness or collar. I never put them on a leash while they are wearing their collars. Like [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] said, I never keep their collars or harnesses on when home alone, you just never know what could happen!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I use both. I never keep Herman's collar on in the house because I dont want it to get caught on anything - but his tags are on his collar. He just recently last month got a harness (he is 7 months now) and quickly learned how strong he is when wearing it. This is why I started with a slip lead, then moved to a buckle collar, then the harness once he learned how to walk on the collar and lead. He's a terror in the harness!

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I started off with a harness but he walked where he wanted and sat down when he wanted and it did no help in training him to walk with me. I then bought a small light weight collar with a straight 6 foot kong leash.. I bring frozen green beans with me for treats and cannot believe he loves them so.. Thanks everyone who mentioned them. He still becomes distracted at times when another dog. puppy, person ( distraction) is around but with the collar he is much easier to control and I don't have to give him too much of a yank for him to get the message to come with me. I do at times have to get down to his eye level to let him know what I want and break his concentration on whatever he is focused on if he becomes distracted. With my puppy it is a process but he is learning. It takes time and effort but he is getting much much better. He is 5 months and a week or so old now and after a few months or so I will be buying a new harness ( larger ) and see if it is better to walk him with now that he is used to walking with me..

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I use both, Vegas is a great walker so we just use a collar he does not pull or tug, but when we go bye-bye it is harness only! I can control him much better with a harness.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My boy wears a collar at al times with his name and my contact info, just in case he should ever get out. We started with an inexpensive nylon collar. After several months, I noticed his neck was very irritated under it, so after some research we now only use leather, which solved that problem. We just had to go up to a larger collar this past week. The problem I soon discovered while shopping at Persmart, was that any leather collar over 18" was very wide and wide doesn't work very well for short necks :eek:. I finally found a leather "rolled" collas on EBay that is just perfect for him and was only $15 and American Made :) I use his collar to keep him put when grooming or to hold him if someone comes to the door, but for leading or car restraint, we only use a harness. I don't want to restrict his air flow or take a chance of hurting his neck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online